Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ACC "Tournament" Champions/ZION number retirement

Two topics for comment:

1) There has been a disturbing trend toward equating the regular season best record in the ACC with the ACC tournament championship. No trophy is handed out for the best regular season record. There is only one recognized champion in the conference - the winner of the tournament. The TV commentators should make this distinction crystal clear.

2) Duke's unofficial criteria for number retirement are a) the player has won a recognized player of the year or defensive player of the year award; and b) the player earns a degree from Duke. ZION will check the box on the first criteria. If number retirement matters to him, he can pursue a degree in the future via some combination of on-line work and returning to campus - maybe in the summer or far into the future. His number belongs in the Cameron rafters.

1) There was a valid argument that the regular season champion should be considered the conference champion when it was a round robin format. I don't see how there can even be a regular season "champion" when teams are playing unbalanced schedules.

2) All schools approach hanging jerseys differently: some honor players (e.g. Syracuse), some honor and retire jerseys (e.g. unc), and some do neither (e.g. Indiana). Honoring his jersey would be a way to bypass the degree criteria and get his name in the rafters. Just a thought.

we hang banners for regular season that say champion. /argument

Quote Originally Posted by fathippo View Post
    1) There was a valid argument that the regular season champion should be considered the conference champion when it was a round robin format. I don't see how there can even be a regular season "champion" when teams are playing unbalanced schedules.

2) All schools approach hanging jerseys differently: some honor players (e.g. Syracuse), some honor and retire jerseys (e.g. unc), and some do neither (e.g. Indiana). Honoring his jersey would be a way to bypass the degree criteria and get his name in the rafters. Just a thought.
    I believe the regular season champion is a very impressive achievement that should be celebrated. I believe the ACCT champion is the conference champion and is recognized that way. I would prefer that one given the choice.

I am glad that Zion has contributed to one banner in the rafters and hope he contributes to two more, a regional championship and an NCAAT.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Our better historians can correct this post but here is what I understand about the regular season ACC champion.

The official ACC championship with a trophy and automatic bid to the NCAA goes to the winner of the ACC tournament. Many years ago only 1 team from each conference went to the NCAAs. Imagine if that were the case now...wow!!!

For many years the regular season champion only received the top seed in the ACC tournament. That changed when Cliff Ellis was the coach at Clemson. Clemson won the regular season and every one in the league liked Cliff so they started allowing schools to hang banners commemorating the regular season championship or share of the championship.

Both UVA and unc get to hang banners in 2019 for the regular season championship.

Duke gets the official trophy and gets to hang a banner.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Our better historians can correct this post but here is what I understand about the regular season ACC champion.

The official ACC championship with a trophy and automatic bid to the NCAA goes to the winner of the ACC tournament. Many years ago only 1 team from each conference went to the NCAAs. Imagine if that were the case now...wow!!!

For many years the regular season champion only received the top seed in the ACC tournament. That changed when Cliff Ellis was the coach at Clemson. Clemson won the regular season and every one in the league liked Cliff so they started allowing schools to hang banners commemorating the regular season championship or share of the championship.

Both UVA and unc get to hang banners in 2019 for the regular season championship.

Duke gets the official trophy and gets to hang a banner.
    That's my recollection too - Clemson wanted recognition for a season of excellence, not merely 3 games of excellence. It's a valid point, and I think K, among others, supported the idea. Given the advent of the unbalanced schedule, I'm don't think it has as much validity as it once did, especially as regards comparisons between teams, but it still is an indicator of remarkable success.

The winner of the ACC tournament is defined as the ACC Champion. A concise title, and automatic bid to the NCAAT.

There is now also an "ACC Regular-Season Champion" recognized as well.

That commentators sometimes fail to distinguish the latter from the former is unfortunate, but hardly surprising.

Actually 2...

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I am glad that Zion has contributed to one banner in the rafters and hope he contributes to two more, a regional championship and an NCAAT.

...and counting!

2nd for #1 Final AP Poll

I'd retire Zion's number

Don't care if he doesn't graduate or not. I understand the Duke criteria and do not believe any other OAD should have their jersey retired.

However, I have never seen a player as big and dominant as Zion. I'm not sure how this is possible, but he's bigger than Duke, bigger than Coach K, and possibly bigger than college basketball this year. He's made folks love Duke. He single-handedly removed $1B from Nike's valuation.

If Duke wins the natty, I really, really hope Zion's jersey is retired.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

1. Winning the regular season is important, valuable, and banner-worthy (round-robin or no).

2. The winner of the ACC Tournament is THE conference champion.

More importantly, has there EVER been a national player of the year that didn’t get their jersey retired at their school? I can’t think of one off the top of my head. There are some recent examples but surely they will be up in the rafters soon enough.

Edit: wow, I actually didn’t realize that Brand’s jersey isn’t retired.
    Last edited by LasVegas; 03-19-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    More importantly, has there EVER been a national player of the year that didn’t get their jersey retired at their school? I can’t think of one off the top of my head. There are some recent examples but surely they will be up in the rafters soon enough.
    that's a bit of a presumption. and even if UK does retire davis, i'm not sure we should seek to emulate kentucky anyway.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    that's a bit of a presumption. and even if UK does retire davis, i'm not sure we should seek to emulate kentucky anyway.
    So when looking at it, there are a few. Trey Burke, Brand, Davis...but it is pretty rare to win nPOY and not have your jersey somewhere in the rafters.

So when looking at it, there are a few. Trey Burke, Brand, Davis...but it is pretty rare to win nPOY and not have your jersey somewhere in the rafters.
    most nPOY are juniors and seniors...
    April 1

The nice thing is that K can do what he wants and no doubt will. He won't have to fight with a sclerotic committee should he decide to do something for Zion. Having said that, I have no idea what he's thinking any more than I know when Marques will re-emerge.

I would say this however: any chance of honoring Zion would be enhanced with a National Championship banner.

most nPOY are juniors and seniors...
    Going back to 1999 (Naismith POY), we have 7 that are either freshman or Sophs. 4/7 have their jerseys up.

Brand
    Ford- retired
    Bogut- retired
    Durantula- retired
    Griffin-retired
    Davis
    Burke

Going back to 1999 (Naismith POY), we have 7 that are either freshman or Sophs. 4/7 have their jerseys up.

Brand
    Ford- retired
    Bogut- retired
    Durantula- retired
    Griffin-retired
    Davis
    Burke
    and what is the ratio of jr/sr that have their jerseys up?
    April 1

I seem to remember a video Duke did with Coach K talking about when his team celebrated winning its first ACC championship by beating UNC. That was in 1986. It was the regular season championship (we would then go on to win the ACC tourney as well, beating Ga Tech in the final).

The tournament champion is the "official" champion for purposes of the NCAA tournament. But both are championships. And both matter to Coach K, a lot.

As for jersey retirement: Duke is different than Utah and Texas and even Oklahoma. They don't have a bunch of guys who achieved NPoY honors. So, logically, anyone who has achieved that honor has a good chance of getting his jersey retired. At Duke, it takes more than just one great season.

Worth noting that not all of the players in the rafters earned an NPoY or DPoY. Some made it on other merits (such as Hurley getting it for two titles and all-time assist leader). Furthermore, not all NPoY/DPoY have retired jerseys (e.g., Wojo). There is only one hard and fast rule to getting your jersey retired: you have to graduate. Everything else appears to be somewhat subjective.

and what is the ratio of jr/sr that have their jerseys up?
    8 of the 13 since 1999.

McDermott, Jimmer,Buddy, Frank Mason, Brunson.

4/7 fresh/sophs
    8/13 junior/senior

Edit: wow, I actually didn’t realize that Brand’s jersey isn’t retired.
    Calbert Cheaney(92-93), IU.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Doesn't the rationale for the tournament champion being the official champion come from the old Southern Conference, which was huge and had to have a tournament to determine the real champion because of-- drumroll-- an unbalanced schedule?
    The ACC just kept the practice in order to incentivize its tournament despite the home-and-home regular season format, right?
    Didn't Al Featherston write a great article about this, and about how Everett Case hated the Tournament but Vic Bubas loved it? Or Bubas and Case loved it but Frank Maguire and Bones McKinney hated it? Something like that...