Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 347
  1. #41
    While I'm sure the stat gurus can probably tear this post to shreds, I seem to have noticed an odd thing this year about Duke and UNC.

    Throughout the year, Duke and UNC seem to have switched traditional methods of scoring. I'm used to Duke scoring in the half-court with a heavy reliance on the 3-pt shot, and I'm used to UNC pounding inside and scoring in transition.

    Throughout the season, the two teams seem to have switched - with UNC being a great perimeter team, and Duke being a paint & transition team.

    And then...when they play each other, they switch back to their "old selves." - Duke goes back to relying on the perimeter, and UNC runs and pounds the paint.

    I realize this is because both of these games were played without Zion, but both matchups and the season seemed a little "Freaky Friday" or "Twilight Zone" ish to me.

    So I really have no idea what to expect tonight, but I'm happy for Maye to have 10 less points due to Zion's presence, and for Zion to pick up those 10 points for himself.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjswift View Post
    While I'm sure the stat gurus can probably tear this post to shreds, I seem to have noticed an odd thing this year about Duke and UNC.

    Throughout the year, Duke and UNC seem to have switched traditional methods of scoring. I'm used to Duke scoring in the half-court with a heavy reliance on the 3-pt shot, and I'm used to UNC pounding inside and scoring in transition.

    Throughout the season, the two teams seem to have switched - with UNC being a great perimeter team, and Duke being a paint & transition team.

    And then...when they play each other, they switch back to their "old selves." - Duke goes back to relying on the perimeter, and UNC runs and pounds the paint.

    I realize this is because both of these games were played without Zion, but both matchups and the season seemed a little "Freaky Friday" or "Twilight Zone" ish to me.

    So I really have no idea what to expect tonight, but I'm happy for Maye to have 10 less points due to Zion's presence, and for Zion to pick up those 10 points for himself.
    Also, UNC looks good at taking charges. Duke doesn't. With our length, we're more of a blocking team.

    And speaking of charges, the only way UNC stops Zion is with charges, and I guarantee Williams is practicing charges. Williamson, Barrett, and Cam need to be prepared for that. Although with Cam, he's guaranteed at least 1 charge if he drives the ball...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    people are talking up how UNC looks "great"...but ignore the fact that UL gave them as much of a game as syracuse gave us....and like their second game against us, UNC went through some extended scoring droughts.

    we looked every bit as good as UNC yesterday...and hopefully have gotten over some of the "stop and stare at zion" syndrome that plagued the offense from ~10m in the first half until 15m in the second half...a 15 minute stretch in which we scored only 17 points.


    "If you don't address the things you're not doing well when you're winning the winning will eventually stop."

    -David Cutcliffe

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Ozzie is the traditional starter of the Status Check...can't get gun shy after one miss! I think he needs to get back in the game.

    Edit: I see Native already took care of it...Ozzie just know we'll be looking for you next February.
    Are you forgetting 10/26/19?



    Never mind. I see someone else "called you out" upthread already. Please forgive my annoyance.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  5. #45
    One exciting thing for me: Javin DeLaurier. The last two games he has played for 58 minutes and had 3 total fouls (1 in 30 minutes last night!).

    These games represent his longest playing time, and his least fouls per minute, for the entire season. With the amount of PT and the great performance, against two very different teams, I wonder if K is seeing something from him in practice or making adjustments to use him more effectively.

    His average in previous games in which he's played meaningful minutes for the season is 1 foul every 5 minutes. In these two games, it is about 1 foul every 20 minutes.

    His length, athleticism, ability to both finish around the rim and protect the rim is that much more valuable if he can both stay on the floor, and avoid sending the other team to the line. I realize two games are a small sample size, but glad to see that improvement.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    people are talking up how UNC looks "great"...but ignore the fact that UL gave them as much of a game as syracuse gave us...and like their second game against us, UNC went through some extended scoring droughts.

    we looked every bit as good as UNC yesterday...and hopefully have gotten over some of the "stop and stare at zion" syndrome that plagued the offense from ~10m in the first half until 15m in the second half...a 15 minute stretch in which we scored only 17 points.
    Agreed. UNC has simply benefitted from playing a weak schedule down the stretch because its only tough games were undermined by Duke missing players. Still UNC barely beat Clemson and looked the same as Duke against Syracuse while playing at home. It is going to royally irk me if UNC gets a #1 seed simply by getting lucky with the timing of Duke injuries...
       

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Also, UNC looks good at taking charges. Duke doesn't. With our length, we're more of a blocking team.
    The twilight zone theme is running through my head!

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Agreed. UNC has simply benefitted from playing a weak schedule down the stretch because its only tough games were undermined by Duke missing players. Still UNC barely beat Clemson and looked the same as Duke against Syracuse while playing at home. It is going to royally irk me if UNC gets a #1 seed simply by getting lucky with the timing of Duke injuries...
    what are you talking about? Jay Bilas declared UNC had the toughest schedule in the country... /s


    "If you don't address the things you're not doing well when you're winning the winning will eventually stop."

    -David Cutcliffe

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Winterville, NC
    This game rests on protecting the ball, rebounding, and whether Cam Reddish makes shots. End of story.
    Last edited by wgl1228; 03-15-2019 at 09:39 AM.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    I have a dream, especially after the attempted trip yesterday. The officials will jump on board the Zion train and protect him some in the floor. Maybe that means calling more fouls on opponents who bounce off him. During the year, because he plays through contact so well, refs wouldn’t call the obvious fouls. Maybe now they will.

    They might not do it consciously, but it will be there. I bet in the reffing crews there has been a bunch of talk about the attempted trip. I didn’t even know about it until after the game. Raycom didn’t notice it. Was ESPN on it in-game?

    Point is, if Zion is injured between now ant the NCAA final due to contact, there will be hell to pay. Every bit of dirty play against Zion is going to be scrutinized. EVERYONE wants to see Zion play on a court that could very well tilt toward him.

    Zion’s gravity may very well bend even the refs toward him.

    Here’s hoping. As I said, I have a dream.
    Last edited by BandAlum83; 03-15-2019 at 09:45 AM.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I have a dream, especially after the attempted trip yesterday. The officials will jump on board the Zion train and protect him some in the floor. Maybe that means calling more fouls on opponents who bounce off him. During the year, because he plays through contact so well, refs wouldnít call the obvious fouls. Maybe now they will.

    They might not do it consciously, but it will be there. I bet in the reffing crews there has been a bunch of talk about the attempted trip. I didnít even know about it until after the game. Ration didnít notice it. Was ESPN in it in-game?

    Point is, if Zion is injured between now ant the NCAA final due to contact, there will be hell to pay. Every bit of dirty play against Zion is going to be scrutinized. EVERYONE wants to see Zion play on a court that could very well tilt toward him.

    Zionís gravity may very well bend even the refs towed him.

    Hereís hoping. As I said, I have a dream.
    I don't think you're wrong. The NCAA will especially want to protect Zion. He is the best player, biggest story, most marketable player this year. Folks will tune in to watch a mediocre NCAA game that doesn't involve Duke just because Zion is the in the tournament!

    Any intentional BS towards Zion will not be tolerated.

    Unfortunately, I cannot say that about any of our other players.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    This game rests on protecting the ball, rebounding, and whether Cam Reddish makes shots. End of story.
    I guess I can stop reading now.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    I'm not confident.

    UNC is rolling. Love that Z came back with a vengeance, but, he can't do it alone. Maye won't score 30, but he hardly EVER scores 30...that's not their game.

    You can tell that they are sick to death of hearing about "but zion didn't play"

    If we turn the ball over like we did last night, we have a triple scoop of loser on our faces tonight.

    somebody better step up...
    "Either they're going down, or we are! Kirk out!"

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I'm not confident.

    UNC is rolling. Love that Z came back with a vengeance, but, he can't do it alone. Maye won't score 30, but he hardly EVER scores 30...that's not their game.

    You can tell that they are sick to death of hearing about "but zion didn't play"

    If we turn the ball over like we did last night, we have a triple scoop of loser on our faces tonight.

    somebody better step up...
    And I'm sure our guys are sick of losing to these jokers. I like our chances tonight.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    And I'm sure our guys are sick of losing to these jokers. I like our chances tonight.
    As the eternal pessimist, I weirdly like our chances as well.

    But players not named Zion or RJ need to step up. That includes Cam, Tre, AOC, White, and Javin.

    UNC is dammmmmmn good. They play some of the best team basketball this year. But we have the best 2 players on the court. Let's hope someone else steps up.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    In one of Coach K's interviews recently (I think it was one on GoDuke), he mentioned that Duke spent the past week not only re-drilling stuff they used to run before Zion got hurt but also installing new stuff that they would've installed had Zion not gotten hurt. (Obviously against Cuse we had to run zone offense and not any of the new stuff.) I'm wondering if one of those things was to run more 4/5 ball screens for Zion; that is, have Javin come set a high ball screen for Zion, which in this case, would force Brooks and Maye out of their comfort zone. Usually "4"s don't have a handle like Zion, so the opposing team's two bigs aren't used to having to defend a ball screen in tandem; usually it's a perimeter player guarding the ball-handler and the big man hedging or dropping, for example.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I have a dream, especially after the attempted trip yesterday. The officials will jump on board the Zion train and protect him some in the floor. Maybe that means calling more fouls on opponents who bounce off him. During the year, because he plays through contact so well, refs wouldn’t call the obvious fouls. Maybe now they will.

    They might not do it consciously, but it will be there. I bet in the reffing crews there has been a bunch of talk about the attempted trip. I didn’t even know about it until after the game. Raycom didn’t notice it. Was ESPN on it in-game?

    Point is, if Zion is injured between now ant the NCAA final due to contact, there will be hell to pay. Every bit of dirty play against Zion is going to be scrutinized. EVERYONE wants to see Zion play on a court that could very well tilt toward him.

    Zion’s gravity may very well bend even the refs toward him.

    Here’s hoping. As I said, I have a dream.
    That does appear to be a dream and I admire it. But, remember, we're playing the cheats tonight.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    what are you talking about? Jay Bilas declared UNC had the toughest schedule in the country... /s
    Did he really say that? And do the numbers back him up?
       

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I'm not confident.

    UNC is rolling. Love that Z came back with a vengeance, but, he can't do it alone. Maye won't score 30, but he hardly EVER scores 30...that's not their game.

    You can tell that they are sick to death of hearing about "but zion didn't play"

    If we turn the ball over like we did last night, we have a triple scoop of loser on our faces tonight.

    somebody better step up...
    That's not really true, though. They jumped out to an early lead, but weren't good enough to put UL away until late...pretty much same as we did vs cuse. If UL doesn't lollygag down the court every possession for the first 10 minutes of the game allowing easy UNC layups, it's even more of a game.

    HINT TO TEAM: DON'T FORGET THAT UNC RUNS AFTER MADE BASKETS

    I will be apoplectic if we let UNC get 4-6 points on run-outs after made baskets before we remember "oh yeah, UNC does that."


    "If you don't address the things you're not doing well when you're winning the winning will eventually stop."

    -David Cutcliffe

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I have a dream, especially after the attempted trip yesterday. The officials will jump on board the Zion train and protect him some in the floor. Maybe that means calling more fouls on opponents who bounce off him. During the year, because he plays through contact so well, refs wouldnít call the obvious fouls. Maybe now they will.

    They might not do it consciously, but it will be there. I bet in the reffing crews there has been a bunch of talk about the attempted trip. I didnít even know about it until after the game. Raycom didnít notice it. Was ESPN on it in-game?

    Point is, if Zion is injured between now ant the NCAA final due to contact, there will be hell to pay. Every bit of dirty play against Zion is going to be scrutinized. EVERYONE wants to see Zion play on a court that could very well tilt toward him.

    Zionís gravity may very well bend even the refs toward him.

    Hereís hoping. As I said, I have a dream.
    If he were to change his name to 'Hansbrough', nary a drop of sweat would be disturbed on his surface without a Flagrant 1 being called...

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: Duke 70, ... Cheating Bastards 79 Post-Game Thread
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 252
    Last Post: 03-11-2019, 06:31 PM
  2. Replies: 355
    Last Post: 03-09-2018, 10:48 PM
  3. Replies: 192
    Last Post: 11-27-2017, 12:05 AM
  4. Replies: 105
    Last Post: 11-24-2017, 07:01 PM
  5. Replies: 83
    Last Post: 02-13-2016, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •