View Poll Results: Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their ACC Tourney quarterfinal win over Syrac

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Javin Delaurier

0 0%
  • Zion Williamson

119 96.75%
  • RJ Barrett

0 0%
  • Cam Reddish

0 0%
  • Tre Jones

0 0%
  • Jack White

0 0%
  • Alex O'Connell

0 0%
  • Jordan Goldwire

4 3.25%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Voted for Zion because he was the MOTM. But I knew he would not get all the votes and I don't think any player ever will. If Zion didn't deserve it for his play last night, then no one will be able to grab all the votes. Welcome back young man, we surely missed you. GoDuke!

Let's not get our panties in a twist just because Z didn't win unanymiusky. It will happen! Not this game. Soon. He will be unanimous MOTM. And MOTY. And MOTD. And MOTC. And MOTM. Probably not MOAT. Pretty tough to take that away from CL.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Let's not get our panties in a twist just because Z didn't win unanymiusky. It will happen! Not this game. Soon. He will be unanimous MOTM. And MOTY. And MOTD. And MOTC. And MOTM. Probably not MOAT. Pretty tough to take that away from CL.
    Zion will never win unanimous MOTM. The dude was unstoppable this game. Unstoppable. He was a perfect 13 for 13. He grabbed 14 boards. He had 5 steals. And all this after coming back from injury.

Yeah - no player will ever unanimously win MOTM on DBR. Just not possible.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Zion was clearly the MOTM. I see a few people mistakenly voted for Goldwire. This is a MOTM poll, not a Guy Who Came Off The Bench And Helped A Bit While Zion Dominated poll. I do give Goldwire GWCOTBAHABWZD of the match.

Can't we just ban the people who voted for a GWCOTBAHABWZD instead of MOTM? I mean, at least for a couple of weeks?

This has been the MOST awesome MOTM thread I've EVER read.

The fact that there is even a debate for Zion over Goldwire is in fact - INSANE. But I love it!!

For the record, Goldwire was featured in 3 of top 5 plays from last night.

Just remember that long ball catch by Goldwire and dunk by Barrett was thrown by Zion.

I mean, Zion made me jump out of my seat at least 13 times...

Reality - Goldwire keeps his confidence up and we are a different team.

Zion, for every reason. Goldwire's inspired play offensively was nice to see, but I think Tre's second half scoring, both from the field and from the foul line, is what won us the game and prevented a collapse of biblical proportions. Once again, the 17 point lead debacle almost reared its ugly head again, but this time the 17 point lead came in the first half, so it didn't really apply. A 17 point lead early in the second half that doesn't get extended to 18 or more has been death to us several times, dating back to Kentucky in ~1998 (memory is a little foggy on the exact year - CRS disease strikes again). LGD GTHc! 9F!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    ...Just remember that long ball catch by Goldwire and dunk by Barrett was thrown by Zion...
    Such stuff as dreams are made of...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

This poll just goes to show how ridiculous our expectations are for Zion. I love what Goldwire did but there is no doubt as to who carried the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Only because the poll creator only listed Rivers as an option. It has never happened in a poll where all active players were listed. I believe there was some heated debate about the poll options in that MOTM actually.
    This poll should have been similarly rigged...

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    This poll should have been similarly rigged...
    Apparently 3 people tried to penalize Zion for not visiting Wisconsin...maybe??
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 03-15-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Ok, I admit, it's just a working theory.

This poll is about whether you can properly use a mouse-driven GUI I'm guessing, that or a test for possible muscular degenerative diseases. If you didn't vote for Zion you could be suffering from "alien hand" syndrome. See your doc asap.

Folks, it's hard to get ~100 people (as of the time of this post) to all agree on anything. It's true not just on this topic and not just on DBR.

Plus, I've always thought that there are no set guidelines and everyone gets to define MOTM for themselves, which makes complaining about this stuff pointless.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Only because the poll creator only listed Rivers as an option. It has never happened in a poll where all active players were listed. I believe there was some heated debate about the poll options in that MOTM actually.
    Tyler Zeller would have been a valid choice in that poll. He was perfect in shooting % for Duke, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I would be more upset if posters were voting for Jordan as a look at me vote. I certainly don't think the 3 voters fall into that category. I presume they just have their own idea of what MOTM means. It's a democracy not a dictatorship. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Never has happened.
    I thought Austin Rivers got it for the shot.

Nvm I now see that it's because we werent allowed to vote
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I thought Austin Rivers got it for the shot.

Nvm I now see that it's because we werent allowed to vote
    Austin Rivers was indeed a unanimous winner. The format of that poll was different but still allowed people to vote for someone else; no one did so.

EDIT: If people wonder why I am continuing to beat this drum, it's because I want to (a) continue to recognize Rivers for his truly amazing performance that game (one that was so amazing it transcended the contrarian MOTM voting tendencies of various DBR members) and (b) push back on the false claim that "people were not allowed to vote for anyone else" in that poll.
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 03-15-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Austin Rivers was indeed a unanimous winner. The format of that poll was different but still allowed people to vote for someone else; no one did so.

EDIT: If people wonder why I am continuing to beat this drum, it's because I want to (a) continue to recognize Rivers for his truly amazing performance that game (one that was so amazing it transcended the contrarian MOTM voting tendencies of various DBR members) and (b) push back on the false claim that "people were not allowed to vote for anyone else" in that poll.
    Here is that legendary Austin Rivers MOTM thread and poll.

Look, that poll was rigged, for the noble purpose of suppressing nitpickery to maintain a state of euphoria. People had the option of voting "Somebody else (and you better have a good explanation)" -- and the first replies acknowledged that this could include Tyler Zeller -- but it was clearly discouraged by its very setup, so no one did.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Shout-out to whomever voted for Goldwire. That's normally my move.

But, tonight, Zion was...On. A. Mission.

Never seen anything like tonight.

In. Fifty. Two. Years.

Gawddamn.
    I was the first- looks like a few more joined in so I would not be the only one That said- I voted for him because I saw his play as turning the game around. I was unaware of the "never been unanimous" voting history. K mentioned him first I think- so he thought he was important to the win. Not exactly sure how it happened- but he had a major impact on the game and when has he ever been in a position to win MOTM- hence the vote. Duke was up 3 and Cuse was about to get the ball and he makes the steal and 1. A huge play- as was his assist to RJ for the dunk. As I noted Zion was absolutely amazing and certainly was the star last night but I believe Duke will not win it all unless the role guys step up on O. No one did yesterday but Goldwire. Goldwire hopefully inspired all his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Here is that legendary Austin Rivers MOTM thread and poll.

Look, that poll was rigged, for the noble purpose of suppressing nitpickery to maintain a state of euphoria. People had the option of voting "Somebody else (and you better have a good explanation)" -- and the first replies acknowledged that this could include Tyler Zeller -- but it was clearly discouraged by its very setup, so no one did.
    Oh, I agree that the format may have discouraged nitpickery and skullduggery, but the point is that it did not actually foreclose it. If anyone had the courage of conviction to be a contrarian and vote for an unworthy choice despite what they just witnessed, they could have done so. No one did that though. People can put an asterisk beside it if they want, but I am willing to give DBR the benefit of the doubt and say we were able to agree on something one time.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Oh, I agree that the format may have discouraged nitpickery and skullduggery, but the point is that it did not actually foreclose it. If anyone had the courage of conviction to be a contrarian and vote for an unworthy choice despite what they just witnessed, they could have done so. No one did that though. People can put an asterisk beside it if they want, but I am willing to give DBR the benefit of the doubt and say we were able to agree on something one time.
    I suspect what instead happened was that those who might have considered voting otherwise were either heavily discouraged from doing so or just abstained altogether. I can't remember if I abstained or not out of principle (too lazy to go check). The format of that vote was decidedly rigged, and thus it is not surprising that they got the unanimity that they desired.