Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Wow, if it's Carter before he was at Duke could it lead to vacated wins?
    What does the reported scenario have to do with Duke or Carter coming to Duke? It seems the behavior does not make Carter ineligible.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Maybe that led to Carter going to Duke instead of GT.

"Well, I liked Georgia Tech, but then they took me to a strip club when I was 16. Who takes a 16 year old kid to a strip club? Duke didn't. Duke won."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    If I understand this all correctly, Pastner's former friend from Arizona got cozy with Tech players and recruits, brought them out to Arizona to hang out with him, and took them to a strip club in Atlanta. And he did this without the knowledge of Pastner but with a former assistant coach, who was fired when his role in it came to light. And they are going to slap the school with violations?
    Apparently the "former" friend feels like a jilted lover, and has reacted badly to Pastner ending their friendship. This could have been intentionally done to harm Pastner. Interesting if that plays a role in the punishment.

Well, regardless of who provided it, if a player accepted impermissible benefits, he becomes an inelligible player, and any wins a team earned with an inelligible player in the game can potentially get wiped off the books.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well, regardless of who provided it, if a player accepted impermissible benefits, he becomes an inelligible player, and any wins a team earned with an inelligible player in the game can potentially get wiped off the books.
    A clean program will not be held accountable for the unknown actions of another program. Bank on that.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

IIRC Duke got punished for giving impermissible benefits to david thompson in our failed efforts to recruit him. following your reasoning, all of NC State's wins with him as a player would be wiped off the books. I don't think that happened.

Let's see, a HS recruit accepting a coke at the drugstore from a prospective agent would result in four years of ineligibility? That never existed and things have changed quite a bit, I believe.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

IIRC Duke was penalized for a Duke booster buying him a sports jacket, and I'm not sure what NC state bought him (maybe a whole suit, since he enrolled there.) Both programs were placed on probation for a year and banned from the post season. This made little difference for Duke, but meant the undefeated wolfpack (27-0) had no chance to compete for an national title. However, no wins were vacated.

Yeah I agree that we’re not totally in the clear here as far as player ineligibility, even if this has nothing to do with Duke’s program. But with that said, this type of violation would generally lead to a player having to repay the cost of the benefit. We’re not talking about him receiving tens of thousands of dollars. I forget what the threshold is, but I remember a similar discussion came up when the reports came out about Carter’s mom meeting with an agent over a meal (during which she claims she did not eat any food).

My recollection is that the money that is repaid would go to some sort of NCAA scholarship fund. So I guess it’s true that stripping really does help kids pay for college!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    IIRC Duke was penalized for a Duke booster buying him a sports jacket, and I'm not sure what NC state bought him (maybe a whole suit, since he enrolled there.) Both programs were placed on probation for a year and banned from the post season. This made little difference for Duke, but meant the undefeated wolfpack (27-0) had no chance to compete for an national title. However, no wins were vacated.
    I believe the benefits were thus...

1) Improper tryout. Recruit was playing a pickup game that an assistant coach watched outside of the contact window.
    2) Said assistant coach then proceeded to purchase for the recruit one Coca-Cola
    3) Same assistant coach committed the grievous sin of giving the recruit a ride home in his personal automobile.

...and most importantly...

4) The recruit was given the opportunity to play for the beloved Carolina Tarheels and declined, thus angering the powers that be.