Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Duke Postgame Press Conference

Now I should probably mention that given the recent discussion of bald links, my first thought was, "But what about those times I post just a link to the postgame presser?"

I have to be honest, I don't think any commentary on my part is necessary (and I usually post it before I get a chance to finish watching it). The reasons for the link being pertinent and of interest to the board are obvious. It's just a convenience thing for the other readers. Maybe the posting guidelines should reflect that sort of thing as a contrasting example.

Edit: Although the video doesn't appear to be working at the moment

Double edit: working again
    I'm not a moderator, but I find common sense to be particularly helpful here.

Generally, a link needs some context because you are essentially advertising or selling it to the readers, who might have concerns about viruses, but definitely have concerns about wasting their time. A purely bald link is a URL with no accompanying words, and I'm almost never going to click on it. Saying something vague like "Here's a good but long article about Coach K" makes the link less bald but still not much of a seller. (Is it stuff I already know? Is the writer going to anger me?) Saying something specific and maybe adding a brief relevant excerpt provides full context. Now if I choose to click it, I know what I'm getting. And even if I don't click it, I know why it was posted.

That said, I think just posting "Postgame presser: [link]" is fine for two reasons (assuming the link works). First, as long as we know what it is, the link sells itself. People either want to watch a video of the press conference or they don't. Second, it's impractical (or, if the link is to a live video, impossible) to know any context beforehand. An identified link is all you have time to post.

While I normally don't seek out postgame press conferences, I made an effort after the game at Syracuse because I knew the demand would be unusually high (Zion's injury timetable, Joey Baker's activation, Jack White's absence, Boeheim's car accident). I was fortunate to find a live video feed from the site of a local Syracuse news channel, and saw that Jim Boeheim was finishing up. I quickly shared the link (and some extra instruction on how to get the video to come up) by the time Coach K had come to the podium. Two eagle-eyed DBR members clicked the link, watched it live, and posted brief recaps.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I'm not a moderator, but I find common sense to be particularly helpful here.

Generally, a link needs some context because you are essentially advertising or selling it to the readers, who might have concerns about viruses, but definitely have concerns about wasting their time. A purely bald link is a URL with no accompanying words, and I'm almost never going to click on it. Saying something vague like "Here's a good but long article about Coach K" makes the link less bald but still not much of a seller. (Is it stuff I already know? Is the writer going to anger me?) Saying something specific and maybe adding a brief relevant excerpt provides full context. Now if I choose to click it, I know what I'm getting. And even if I don't click it, I know why it was posted.

That said, I think just posting "Postgame presser: [link]" is fine for two reasons (assuming the link works). First, as long as we know what it is, the link sells itself. People either want to watch a video of the press conference or they don't. Second, it's impractical (or, if the link is to a live video, impossible) to know any context beforehand. An identified link is all you have time to post.

While I normally don't seek out postgame press conferences, I made an effort after the game at Syracuse because I knew the demand would be unusually high (Zion's injury timetable, Joey Baker's activation, Jack White's absence, Boeheim's car accident). I was fortunate to find a live video feed from the site of a local Syracuse news channel, and saw that Jim Boeheim was finishing up. I quickly shared the link (and some extra instruction on how to get the video to come up) by the time Coach K had come to the podium. Two eagle-eyed DBR members clicked the link, watched it live, and posted brief recaps.
    I am also "not a moderator." [Brevity and I like to brag about our lack of accomplishments.] "Postgame presser" is almost like "box score." IMHO, where the H got left behind press row, it doesn't require explanation. It is a predictably organized video piece on the game just completed -- with a statement by K, questions from the media and perhaps appearances by Duke players.

It is also OK, of course, to highlight any news made. But if it's a courtesy link, where the poster has not yet viewed it, that's fine too.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by construe View Post
    The play that really made me catch my breath was in the 1st half when Zion went for an alley-oop from the weak side, and was undercut by a SYR player...was that Howard, too? Zion landed exactly on that same knee, in a stiff, hyper-extended way. It was clear the SYR player made no play on the ball, and the "box out" (such as it was), was terribly weak...it was a frustration move that could've easily led to a re-injury. If that was Howard, then I have little sympathy for him.
    That one made me catch my breath too. It was an actual basketball play though. The Howard attempted trip was not at all. I do think that Zion is at risk for undercut type plays considerably more than the avg Joe. He's so strong that the opponents have to lean in so much harder to just to hold ground, and then when he levitates, his knees are literally at shoulder level. Heck, he's been taken out by the backboard a couple times this year...

Quote Originally Posted by construe View Post
    The play that really made me catch my breath was in the 1st half when Zion went for an alley-oop from the weak side, and was undercut by a SYR player...was that Howard, too? Zion landed exactly on that same knee, in a stiff, hyper-extended way. It was clear the SYR player made no play on the ball, and the "box out" (such as it was), was terribly weak...it was a frustration move that could've easily led to a re-injury. If that was Howard, then I have little sympathy for him.
    The undercut was done by Sidibe, not Howard. But yes, that was way scarier than the trip, which I didn't even notice live.

I refrained from posting after the game last night, but after sleeping on it I've reached the conclusion that at this time of year style points don't matter and moving on with a win is all that counts.

We are what we are and aside from a minor tweak here or there by Coach K, nothing significant is going to happen. Tre won't shoot lights out. Cam won't become a consistent offensive force. RJ will still have his turnovers, and the bench players won't suddenly become all-stars.

We can only hope that we play good solid defense and that the effort and heart this team seems to have will be good enough to get us a title.

It was nice to see Tre get it going a little bit on offense in the 2nd half. For me at least. I've been tough on him (but resisted posting about it) because he is a major player on offense weather he realizes it or not.

Also, 2 huge cheap shots were taken against Zion. One where he was trying to catch an alley-oop pass and someone undercut his legs. Luckily he's so agile and strong that it didn't affect him a whole lot. But it could have been bad if he didn't land the right way. Either way, it was dangerous play that I felt no one keyed in on and made a larger issue out of it. Then of course the "trip". If Zion had fell down, maybe it would have been treated as a bigger deal. Regardless, it was intentional, and dirty, and could have injured a not so strong and agile player. And the fact Jimmy echoed the same thoughts as Howard made me lose an immense amount of respect I had for Boeheim.

If those 2 plays were done by my boy Grayson, he'd have a warrant out for his arrest right now. Along with an endless loop of replays by ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The undercut was done by Sidibe, not Howard. But yes, that was way scarier than the trip, which I didn't even notice live.
    No, it was Hughes. I posted it in the live in-game thread.

I honestly didn't catch the attempted trip when it happened live, but I definitely thought that on at least two occasions the Syracuse player attempted to undercut Zion and I agree that it was Hughes.

Now maybe I'm being hypersensitive, because the player in question was Zion, but it sure did look like they were intentional attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Even at 65%, Zion is more efficient at two-point shots than at free throws. I agree the "and one" possibility skews the analysis a bit, and of course there are only so many players who can foul him effectively and those players only get five tries, but it's still a potential valid opposing strategy, especially at the end of a close game.
    Well, if he's shooting 100% from the floor, there's no argument

But it's close enough, that I think the &1 plus the difficult to quantify cost of picking up a foul makes makes it not a sure thing. I think the fouls are important enough in college (aka you don't have 100 bench players who are really well qualified like you do in the NBA) that it still JUST leans to the don't intentionally foul.

Of course, end game situations are different, as you point out...but i think the &1 possibility is still huuuuge.
    1200. DDMF.