Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

thank zion for beer

zion's return over...lets grill some ram.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    We already knew that though.

Exhibit A: Chris Paul - Universally beloved golden boy and serial nut puncher. And plenty of others.
    He did get a 1 game suspension for this, IIRC. However, what pissed K off the most (I think) was that he was allowed to sit on the bench for his suspension and G was suspended because luckie and/or hess called his play "fighting" (complete BS) and G was not allowed on the Duke bench.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

any guesses as to what rj said to coach k as k went to shake boeheim's hand postgame?

The best player in the country came back tonight and...well, that was amazing.

Then again, turnovers, shaky FT shooting, bad 3 point shooting, bad transition D, weird lapses in focus, foul trouble, turnovers...I never really worried about Duke losing this game (even when Syracuse tied it), but that was a little too much energy expended on a shorthanded team playing its second game in two nights.

Kudos to K for making two adjustments in the second half that tightened up our defense and allowed us to extend our lead. Goldwire on Boeheim and Javin on Dolezaj (instead of Zion) took away some of their offensive rhythm in the half court and gave Zion more room to roam. Zion will obviously get all the (deserved) hype, but Jordan and Javin were really good in their roles.

Thought this was one of Tre's roughest games until he finally got a 3 point jumper to drop -- he had an unusually difficult time defending Frank Howard. At least Tre finished up well as well as getting our FT percentage back to a reasonable number. Cam with a very rough outing, but credit to him for hitting that jumper at the end that pretty much sealed the game.

Not ideal having to play Zion 36 minutes in his first game back, but let's hope he has more than enough energy to give us the win tomorrow. First game of the tournament after a week off and getting a major player back was bound to have its rough moments, counting on (praying?) for the team to be better connected against UNC.

Z is back looking as good as ever. What a performance. Seeing him back in top form makes me both deleriously happy and really angry that we had to play without him at all with his Duke window so short.

When J Gold made his first shot and Tre hit a 3, I figured we would win. The J Gold games have all been interesting (Pitt, Louisville, tonight).

I want more reps before the big dance. Let’s give the Heels some payback manana.

It’s fun when a frustrating win is a win in which Duke wins by 12 against a tournament team. Let’s not take that for granted.

Jordan Goldwire gave excellent minutes. He shutdown Buddy Boeheim and helped Duke take over the game. Without his defensive performance, Syracuse would’ve been in it right down to the wire.

Zion was Zion. And it was just so much fun. He’s unbelievable and I’m just going to soak in the next 8 wins he has in a Duke uniform.

We will need to play better offensively tomorrrow, but a lot of the turnovers we had were a result of the zone defense. I wouldn’t expect those same turnovers to occur tomorrow. Duke, at times, played incredible defense and forced Syracuse to play 30 feet from the rim with 10 seconds on the shot clock. Hopefully we can play defense like that for longer tomorrow.
    I’m so happy we get a shot at UNC with Zion healthy.

Go Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by djp10 View Post
    any guesses as to what rj said to coach k as k went to shake boeheim's hand postgame?
    Most likely something about him taking that long 3 at the end of the shot clock when it seemed K wanted them to let the clock run out so he could sub white for Zion

Quote Originally Posted by djp10 View Post
    Some form of I'm sorry I took the 3/ I didn't know I was supposed to just hold onto the ball and let the shot clock expire... Jack White was ready to sub in for Zion I assume... that means K was expecting to have another dead ball before the end of the game .

I know it’s a small sample size, but there is solid evidence that Zion is still pretty good at basketball.

Also I loved the Tre and J guard combo in the second half.

On to the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Some form of I'm sorry I took the 3/ I didn't know I was supposed to just hold onto the ball and let the shot clock expire... Jack White was ready to sub in for Zion I assume... that means K was expecting to have another dead ball before the end of the game .
    I have not seen the replay but I think RJ simply didn’t notice. It looked to me like he walked over to K to let him know.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    okay. we're over the Zion return.

i can't take another game like tonight. let's roll. 8f
    I don’t know, man; I’m certainly not over the Zion return. That was a performance for the ages. Talk about living up to the hype! My goodness. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, he’s going to put this team on his back and carry them to a national championship. If anyone can do it, it’s Zion. I just cannot find the words to adequately explain what a transcendent basketball player he is.

I’ve been arguing with Carolina friends for the past two weeks about how Zion is incomparable and irreplaceable. Inevitably their automatic response to that is to say that Duke is not a very good team if they depend so much upon one player. And my response to that is “How would the New England Patriots have done these past 15 years without Tom Brady. He’s just one player, right?” Yet without him the Patriots probably would have won exactly ZERO Super Bowls instead of six. I then add “How would the Chicago Bulls have done all those years without Michael Jordan?” And they really don’t have anything to say after that.

You simply cannot lose a transcendent player and expect to be anything even approaching what you were before. It’s just a stupid argument on their part. And it pisses me off.
    Last edited by Steven43; 03-15-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He did get a 1 game suspension for this, IIRC. However, what pissed K off the most (I think) was that he was allowed to sit on the bench for his suspension and G was suspended because luckie and/or hess called his play "fighting" (complete BS) and G was not allowed on the Duke bench.
    He's done it again since then, though (I think the count might be up to 5+, or at least in that ballpark), and yet he's a role model. Wasn't claiming he didn't get properly punished for his cheap shot on Julius Hodge, just that he's done it repeatedly throughout his career college and NBA but it isn't a big deal, he's still a "great guy", and he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Props to Tre for being so clutch and steady in the 2nd half. He showed the poise under game pressure that we saw from brother Tyus as he led the 2015 team to a title. Steady ball handling, good defense, a couple clutch baskets, and hit his free throws. That's exactly what you want to see out of a PG down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Also I loved the Tre and J guard combo in the second half.
    It was good in the second half of this game, but I hope we don't have to use it too much. That said, a lineup with Zion at the 5, along with RJ, Cam, Tre and JG could be unbelievable defensively in pressuring all over the court.

But I worry against better teams that a situation like tonight (when Cam was in foul trouble) means we have three players on the floor (Tre, JG, Javin) who can't make a shot outside of 10-15 feet. Zion and RJ are so good that they can still manufacture points, but I imagine Tre/JG will be used very situationally the rest of the year.

P. S. How amazing was it that Jordan attacked a closeout against the Syracuse zone better tonight than AOC or Jack White did?

Wow. I think Zion May have played as good as a game as we have seen in that uniform. There must be something about The Spectrum.

While there was a protracted 14 or so minute lapse - I continue to believe our D is the key to Minneapolis and beyond - and it all starts to work with Zion.

Tomorrow is the gut check of the season. We can’t lose 3 to Carolina. The game means so much more to us. Who steps up?

Hearing Bolden may be ready next week?

Credit where credit is due. In the pre-game thread, MChambers said, "If he [Zion] goes 15 for 15, the announcers will declare him unconscious." Now that was a quality prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I don’t think we take that one if Battle is healthy. Still, when it came down to winning time we got stops and hit shots.
    I don't think we lose if Bolden is healthy though.

Push pull

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I hadn't noticed the trip by Howard. It was obvious. Yet we will barely hear a word of this tmrw, will we?

I certainly would call that a double standard. Will see.

- Chillin
    Here’s the Howard trip again.
    https://twitter.com/realjaywilliams/...880879109?s=21

Jason Williams had a heated video tweet after the game as well.
    https://twitter.com/realjaywilliams/...089676289?s=21

I’m on the mobile site. Sorry for the ugly links.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I don’t know, man; I’m certainly not over the Zion return. That was a performance for the ages. Talk about living up to the hype! My goodness. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, he’s going to put this team on his back and carry them to a national championship. If anyone can do it, it’s Zion. I just cannot find the words to adequately explain what a transcendent basketball player he is.

I’ve been arguing with Carolina friends for the past two weeks about how Zion is incomparable and irreplaceable. Inevitably their automatic response to that is to say that Duke is not a very good team if they depend so much upon one player. And my response to that is “How would the New England Patriots have done these past 15 years without Tom Brady. He’s just one player, right?” Yet without him the Patriots probably would have won exactly ZERO Super Bowls instead of six. I then add “How would the Chicago Bulls have done all those years without Michael Jordan?” And they really don’t have anything to say after that.

You simply cannot lose a transcendent player and expect to be anything even approaching what you were before. It’s just a stupid argument on their part. And it pisses me off.
    Zion is *built* to carry this team...

GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Here’s the Howard trip again.
    https://twitter.com/realjaywilliams/status/1106381505880879109?s=21

Jason Williams had a heated video tweet after the game as well.
    https://twitter.com/realjaywilliams/status/1106403887089676289?s=21

I’m on the mobile site. Sorry for the ugly links.
    All credit to Jay for staying consistent on this.