Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Zion is the best freshman I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerrick View Post
    6 turnovers by Barrett is my only real concern with the game. He has to be better with the ball. He seems to have regressed a bit with TOs. Perhaps it was just him trying to do too much without Zion and he’ll settle. He is the second worst in the league. I get that he has the ball in his hands a lot, but many of his TOs seem largely unforced. Nonetheless it is something to watch. Cam had 4 as well (he’s 8th in ACC). Collectively, that’s a possible 20 point swing.
    I agree that turnovers are a concern but how much of last night was just the team being frustrated/annoyed playing against a zone? There were a couple of questionable passes from Tre that stemmed from this IMHO. The game was close at times but it still felt as if Duke had it under control throughout. I think the players sensed that too and therefore were not playing with maximum urgency in certain instances. Which sometimes happens.

Turnovers will be a major focus tonight. Can't let UNC get out and run.
    Last edited by J4Kop99; 03-15-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: word choice

Awesome game by Zion. Javin played well with a bit of an assist from Chukwu. Jordan provided a great spark on the defensive end and even helped out a bit on O. Tre came up big on the free throw line. Way too many unforced errors though. Hopefully Duke is a lot better with the ball tonight.

Syracuse is projected to be an 8 or 9 right now. That'd be a tricky second rounder for a 1 seed, especially on short preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by djp10 View Post
    any guesses as to what rj said to coach k as k went to shake boeheim's hand postgame?

He said, "Hey Coach, please tell Coach B that I really like his new lady-style eyeglasses. They highlight Coach B's tiny squinty eyes and whining demeanor."
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    He said, "Hey Coach, please tell Coach B that I really like his new lady-style eyeglasses. They highlight Coach B's tiny squinty eyes and whining demeanor."
    But is he bald?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    But is he bald?
    Approach the bench.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Zion is the best freshman I've ever seen.
    No doubt about it. His only true Achilles is his FT shooting, which is bad (not atrocious, but bad). His 3pt shooting is okay, but he doesn't rely on it as a weapon.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    But is he bald?
    Not sure, but I have it on good authority that Bilas is.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    No doubt about it. His only true Achilles is his FT shooting, which is bad (not atrocious, but bad). His 3pt shooting is okay, but he doesn't rely on it as a weapon.
    I thought it was his right knee, caused by his defective left shoe.

Seriously, though: I agree with both of you. I was at the game last night & remarked to a colleague just how much Zion influences things on both ends of the floor. Duke's overall athleticism goes up two full notches when he is on the floor, in my view. And the best comp I could concoct is if Larry Johnson and Vince Carter melded into one.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Credit where credit is due. In the pre-game thread, MChambers said, "If he [Zion] goes 15 for 15, the announcers will declare him unconscious." Now that was a quality prediction.
    Aw, shucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I thought it was his right knee, caused by his defective left shoe.

Seriously, though: I agree with both of you. I was at the game last night & remarked to a colleague just how much Zion influences things on both ends of the floor. Duke's overall athleticism goes up two full notches when he is on the floor, in my view. And the best comp I could concoct is if Larry Johnson and Vince Carter melded into one.
    If Zion can have half the shot Carter has, he'd be 1st Team All NBA for years to come.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I hadn't noticed the trip by Howard. It was obvious. Yet we will barely hear a word of this tmrw, will we?

I certainly would call that a double standard. Will see.

- Chillin
    In fairness to Howard, I assume this is the first time he's been accused of tripping. With Grayson, he had three blatant trips in 2 years.

Also, there is a lot of chatter on the interwebs on this. I do not see a double standard whatsoever.

Obviously a huge return for Zion, as many have noted. Also positives from Goldwire and Jones. But there are ongoing concerns about AOC. He continues to be too casual with the ball, and inconsistent on D. Barrett's scoring is almost a given at this point, but I wish he'd take better care of the ball too. White seems to have returned to his shooting funk, but can always be counted on to contribute on D and on the boards.

Okay, that's my laundry list of worries. Now the Heels get to see Zion up close and personal in what should be the game of the tournament. What will Coach K come up with for a game plan? Match UNC's fast pace, or control the tempo at a slower pace? Whatever he decides, all I can say is Go Duke!

If Zion can have half the shot Carter has, he'd be 1st Team All NBA for years to come.
    after starting the year 1-11 from 3, Zion has shot 14-38 (37%). 37% doesn't really qualify as a weapon, and it's certainly not as good as Carter's shot has become, but it's far better than what people give him credit for.
    Since that terrible start from 3, Zion is taking slightly fewer than 2 3s per game and making about 2 every 3 games. I guess that's good enough for defenders to come out on him just a little bit more, giving him more space to drive, but also not good enough for them to really come out, leaving him open enough for his particular style of no-lift line-drive 3pt shot.

So setting aside the sheer absurdity of Goldwire getting MOTM votes when Zion had one of the best Duke games of all time, is Goldwire set to play meaningful minutes in specific match-ups? Not part of the regular rotation, but if we run into a team with a really good shooter at a non-PG guard position? You might think UVA would fit that description, but he didn't play in either of those games, so maybe last night was a one-off coincidence.

No doubt about it. His only true Achilles is his FT shooting, which is bad (not atrocious, but bad).
    Yeah, Zion is the rare player who is less efficient from the line than he is from the field. After watching last night, I'm a little worried about opponents going with hack-a-Zion moving forward.

Yeah, Zion is the rare player who is less efficient from the line than he is from the field. After watching last night, I'm a little worried about opponents going with hack-a-Zion moving forward.
    he's 65% from the line on the year. They might try it, but I don't see any reason why Zion wouldn't be expected to shoot about his % moving forward.

Further, given his ability to finish through contact, you may just be giving up more &1's.
    1200. DDMF.

If Cuse hadn't been in foul trouble we might have seen it last night. A team that plays their bench more might foul Zion early and often. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    he's 65% from the line on the year. They might try it, but I don't see any reason why Zion wouldn't be expected to shoot about his % moving forward.

Further, given his ability to finish through contact, you may just be giving up more &1's.
    Even at 65%, Zion is more efficient at two-point shots than at free throws. I agree the "and one" possibility skews the analysis a bit, and of course there are only so many players who can foul him effectively and those players only get five tries, but it's still a potential valid opposing strategy, especially at the end of a close game.