Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 84, Syracuse 72 Post-Game Thread

Survive and advance. Put your post-game thoughts here.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 03-14-2019 at 11:47 PM.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Sounds like Raycom is the way to go.

Rough middle of the game but glad they got out of that funk

Tre Stones with big free throws and 15 second-half points.

ZION!!!!!!!!!!

That was insanely fun, then very frustrating, then fun again. Survive and advance. Go to Hell Carolina.

Been a Duke fan since the Spanarkel/Banks teams. I get cynical about college sports sometimes. But damn, that was one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen. Of course I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I wasn't worried about Williamson getting injured every second of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That was insanely fun, then very frustrating, then fun again. Survive and advance. Go to Hell Carolina.
    This sums it up pretty well. Zion was amazing, Goldwire and JDL made solid contributions, and everyone else was a mixed bag. Bring on xnc!

Thank God for Zion. This was a hard fought game and we buckled down in the second half. Tre’s late three and clutch shooting at the line turned it for us. Hope we have a lot left in the tank for tomorrow.

Our outside shooting is still woeful. But Zion cures a world of ills.

The best player in the country came back tonight and...well, that was amazing.

Then again, turnovers, shaky FT shooting, bad 3 point shooting, bad transition D, weird lapses in focus, foul trouble, turnovers...I never really worried about Duke losing this game (even when Syracuse tied it), but that was a little too much energy expended on a shorthanded team playing its second game in two nights.

Kudos to K for making two adjustments in the second half that tightened up our defense and allowed us to extend our lead. Goldwire on Boeheim and Javin on Dolezaj (instead of Zion) took away some of their offensive rhythm in the half court and gave Zion more room to roam. Zion will obviously get all the (deserved) hype, but Jordan and Javin were really good in their roles.

Thought this was one of Tre's roughest games until he finally got a 3 point jumper to drop -- he had an unusually difficult time defending Frank Howard. At least Tre finished up well as well as getting our FT percentage back to a reasonable number. Cam with a very rough outing, but credit to him for hitting that jumper at the end that pretty much sealed the game.

Not ideal having to play Zion 36 minutes in his first game back, but let's hope he has more than enough energy to give us the win tomorrow. First game of the tournament after a week off and getting a major player back was bound to have its rough moments, counting on (praying?) for the team to be better connected against UNC.

WOW. What more needs to be said.

Zion just ok after the layoff. Oh well, he’ll probably improve given time.

"I come ready to kill." - Zion

...and kill he did. Spectacular.

. . .every game."

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    "I come ready to kill." - Zion

...and kill he did. Spectacular.
    That was a performance for the ages. And it wasn't just the shooting. The rebounding, diving on the floor, dishing. It is a pleasure to watch someone that good at something who clearly enjoys it so much.

Thank goodness we didn't end up wasting his effort. Yes, the zone is bothersome but this is the 3rd time this team has seen it.

We need more consistent focus; we need at least ONE shooter to step up, and I think it needs to be AOC or Cam, who can also drive. I wish like hell we would have Marques against the Cheats, but we'll have to adjust with active hands, quick feet, and good communication.

I don't think RJ was supposed to take that 3 pointer. Coach K had a chat with him before he started shaking hands. I think K wanted Zion to walk off the court to an ovation.

The offense is perplexing at times. So stagnant.

But golly me oh my, Zion !$#@✓÷ Williamson. Holy frijoles!!!

- Chillin

SYR's legs faded there towards the end, but while they were they gave Duke all we could handle.
    The key move of the game was going to J-Gold to replace AOC. Alex was getting burned by Boeheim, although he hit some shots that Alex defended adequately. J-Gold however just didn't let Boeheim get the ball. We got some stops and hit some shots and things turned around.
    13-13 FGs + 14 rebs + 5 steals. Holy Z'ing schnikeys, what a performance!!!
    By the end of the game RJ had some nice numbers but still, 6 turns is not good. Some of them were just atrocious.
    Cam, sorry dude, that was just a weak game.
    Tre nailed it down by being solid at the stripe, but his inability to hit shots is problematic. Hope he can get just a little bit better.
    The bench actually put up decent numbers, but until J-Gold came in it didn't seem like it. 3-5 FGs for 8 points.
    I'm glad to be moving to the semis, hope Duke can avoid that mid-game lull tomorrow!

Maybe it was a thumbnail of our season so far, great at the beginning, holding on in the middle, dangerous for a few possession and then surge to victory.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

okay. we're over the Zion return.

i can't take another game like tonight. let's roll. 9f

Zion...I was ready to play 2 or 3 games ago...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    that matches what I'd heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I love that. I have a lot of respect for him and the coaching staff for being extremely careful.