Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    That Michigan game in the picture was one of the loudest ever in Cameron.
    I could not hear myself screaming.

"Bubas trusted Waters' judgment and I'm glad he did."

Bubas would sometimes play a 1-3-1 with Dak as the chaser in the back. He was one of the few people I have seen that could make that work.

Duke actually lost that 1964-65 game at home to Cazzie Russell and Michigan. But they made a spirited comeback late and Bubas always said that was the loudest he ever heard the (then) Duke Indoor Stadium. He compared the noise to standing under a 747 at takeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke actually lost that 1964-65 game at home to Cazzie Russell and Michigan. But they made a spirited comeback late and Bubas always said that was the loudest he ever heard the (then) Duke Indoor Stadium. He compared the noise to standing under a 747 at takeoff.
    It was quite a game! I was seated in the front row under one of the baskets... players throwing the ball inbounds were close enough to touch. One of the most exciting games I’ve seen in person.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Those bleachers were a bit roomier. (And lots of play space under, too. Once upon a time!)

-jk
    The bleachers, until the late 70’s when they were replaced, had more vertical leg room so they were almost comfortable to sit in. When replaced, the 12” vertical was suddenly 5 or 6” and sitting was almost impossible. I guess they squeezed another row in. LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The bleachers, until the late 70’s when they were replaced, had more vertical leg room so they were almost comfortable to sit in. When replaced, the 12” vertical was suddenly 5 or 6” and sitting was almost impossible. I guess they squeezed another row in. LGD GTHc!
    The back row was a lot higher, too; when the students stood, the first couple rows upstairs couldn't see over them.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    During the comeback, when Michigan had the ball, the crowd would chant DEFENSE CLAP CLAP DEFENSE... during the whole possession. It was truly deafening and intimidating to the ears of this then 10 year old boy standing at my $2 seat in section 2 of the old barn. I don't remember when this chant fell out of favor. In my opinion it was louder and more effective than the constant roar that we use now. I miss it.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    You guys have got me reminiscing a little bit, so I may do more of these posts. I think we should continue to mix a little of the old with the new.

If you haven't figured it out, I'm basically a Duke kid (I even went to DUCK camp). Growing up Steve Vacendak Jr. was one of my best friends. A literally unbelievable great kid. Unfortunately, he died when we were in college in a motorcycle accident. His fraternity at App State throws a golf tourney every year in his name. His dad has always showed mad love. I didn't realize who his dad was for many years - and once I started doing more Duke basketball research, I was amazed.

Steve Vacendak is basically a Duke legend. Steve was recruited by Vic Bubas to play as a guard for the Duke University men's basketball team. As a guard for the team he led Duke to a 72–14 record and two Final Four appearances during his three-year varsity career. In 1966 he was captain of the basketball team, ACC Player of the Year, and on the All-ACC Tournament team.

Here's a great article from GoDuke - written by our very own Al Featherston...

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=205114363

He's a NC Hall of Famer.
    https://www.ncshof.org/stevevacendak

And he has stayed true to NC.
    https://ncbeautiful.org/executive-director/
    When did you know Steve Vacendak Jr.? Steve was my roommate and one of my best friends while we were at App State together. He passed away after hitting a car head on, while speeding down a steep one-lane road with a blind corner on his mountain bike, following a bouldering session at Howard's Knob.

Steve was an incredible person and a naturally gifted athlete. He was a very intelligent and always made school look easy. Steve was also fearless, almost to a fault. I watched him cheat death more than once. His introduction to kayaking was running a class V Wilson Creek before he could even eskimo roll a boat. He also took a ground fall while learning how to aid climb at Shiprock. He was about 20' up the route when his gear ripped out and he hit the deck. Amazingly, he landed on the only flat rock in the talus pile. I'll never forget all of our rock climbing and wilderness adventures together. Especially poaching Grandfather Mountain at night during a blizzard.

Steve had a bright future ahead of him. He was going to be a Geology professor at App State. He was the most motivated person I have ever met. He never let a day go by without participating in some kind of fun and challenging outdoor recreational activity. I keep a framed photo of him in my living room. He's been gone now for 20 years, but I still think about him often. I only met his dad and sister a handful of times. I remember his dad being very strict and demanding of Steve. He definitely did not give his son any handouts. But I believe this is what made Steve as tough and self sufficient as he was.

RIP, Dirty. I miss you buddy.