Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    The story ends with "/s", so it is a safe bet it is not true.
    I haven't clicked the link to read it, but from all of your posts, if it's not reputable, isn't it rumor mongering?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I haven't clicked the link to read it, but from all of your posts, if it's not reputable, isn't it rumor mongering?
    I think you have me confused with someone else. Looks like the guy who made up the story is trying to create copypasta and people either don't know what /s means or did not notice.

The story ends with "/s", so it is a safe bet it is not true.
    Ah, thanks for the tip...I never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The story IS on page 42 of the bulletin board, it has blue type and starts with, "Cool Story Bro:"

The poster's name is Tyrone Wiggum. When I clicked the link it is the first thing that popped up.

Not that this is worth the effort, but here are the parts that seemed unbelievable to me:
    -The guy suffers a compound fracture and MJ laughs at him?
    -After laughing, MJ sneers at Dean Smith? No way. By all accounts, he revered Dean Smith. There is no way he would have treated him that way.
    -If he was that dismissive of the kid, do we really think he'd remember who he was years later?
    -No way he went through all the trouble arranging the chicken that way in the hopes that the guy would ask for white meat.

The whole thing seems contrived.
    Though I would love to believe the story (feeding into my Carolina hatred), there do seem to be holes in it. The MJ sneering at Dean is indeed the most outrageous. But I also actually don't believe 3 high school recruits at any level could beat a circa 1994 MJ 3-on-3 with any two mobile humans (or even one mobile human and a blind, one-legged chipmunk) in a game to 11. He would have shut them down waaaay before that.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm not sure what to think about this story so I'm putting it here:
    https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/t...omment-1590560
    David Goggins calls it "taking souls." That's the best description of MJ's particular competitive philosophy.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think you have me confused with someone else. Looks like the guy who made up the story is trying to create copypasta and people either don't know what /s means or did not notice.
    Wasn't singling you out, just making a comment in general about the apparent untruth.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Though I would love to believe the story (feeding into my Carolina hatred), there do seem to be holes in it. The MJ sneering at Dean is indeed the most outrageous. But I also actually don't believe 3 high school recruits at any level could beat a circa 1994 MJ 3-on-3 with any two mobile humans (or even one mobile human and a blind, one-legged chipmunk) in a game to 11. He would have shut them down waaaay before that.

9F
    I mean, if someone really wants to research this he gave enough verifiable facts. For example, if there was an event at Myers Park Country Club 5ish years ago for Komen, information for that event probably still exists on the web and might list the keynote speaker (who he claimed to be). I'm not interested enough to try though. I am happy enough believing MJ is a [jerk] without this story.

Yeah, count me in the camp that thinks this is bogus.

Seems more like a well thought out South Park script than something that would actually transpire like that in real life.

I guess anything's possible, but this seems pretty far out there. My God.

- Chillin

I don’t know if this is true or not.
    What I do know is Jordon while visiting Buzz Peterson’s home tried to cheat Buzz’s mother at cards. AS A GUEST. IN HER OWN HOME. This was during college and Buzz and him were friend.
    He’s the best basketball player I have ever seen but no a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    Further proof that Gretzky>Jordan

And speaking of which, you all will enjoy this:

https://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/9/16...l-jordan-vegas

Edit: The referenced post from the OP sounds a little too far-fetched... but still-- That fact that some might even think it's true says all the needs to be said.
    This part of the story is most believable, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The story IS on page 42 of the bulletin board, it has blue type and starts with, "Cool Story Bro:"

The poster's name is Tyrone Wiggum. When I clicked the link it is the first thing that popped up.

Not that this is worth the effort, but here are the parts that seemed unbelievable to me:
    -The guy suffers a compound fracture and MJ laughs at him?
    -After laughing, MJ sneers at Dean Smith? No way. By all accounts, he revered Dean Smith. There is no way he would have treated him that way.
    -If he was that dismissive of the kid, do we really think he'd remember who he was years later?
    -No way he went through all the trouble arranging the chicken that way in the hopes that the guy would ask for white meat.

The whole thing seems contrived.
    Since I'm here...

Classic MJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B7U74Dg04k

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I don’t know if this is true or not.
    What I do know is Jordon while visiting Buzz Peterson’s home tried to cheat Buzz’s mother at cards. AS A GUEST. IN HER OWN HOME. This was during college and Buzz and him were friend.
    He’s the best basketball player I have ever seen but no a good guy.
    Now that is a story I believe.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Give me any other player that you think is goat.your off court antics weigh in as much as your on court performance. Jordan may be top 5 or ten but I will never concede him as goat.
    Me neither. Detroit Bad Boys say hello.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

this story could be true....it doesn't sound out of character for the guy. I've only had one evening of dealing with him, and the profile fits.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

Seems more like a well thought out South Park script than something that would actually transpire like that in real life.
    - Chillin
    Yeah, there is not even a 1% chance this story is true. It reminds me of the ludicrous and poorly-written fantasy stories I would write in 6th grade. I could tell from the opening paragraph that it was completely farcical.

I would be a bit honored if almost two decades after the fact that Jordan still remembered who I was and the fact that I once beat him at something pissed him off.

I would want him to know that when I was there with my leg bone poking out of my skin and he was gloating that I flashed him the WOLFPACK sign and said, "Go To Hell Carolina" as they were loading me into the ambulance. I would want that to eat him from the inside out. Every day of his life.

9f all those cheaters!

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

I guess anything's possible, but this seems pretty far out there. My God.

- Chillin
    Heh. So this guy is Scott Tenorman and Jordan is Cartman -- at least that's what I thought of.

Yeah, the story is probably not true. Having specific details like the keynote speaking at an event would just make the writer a good liar/storyteller. Good liars mix the truth (or verifiable facts) in with the lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, there is not even a 1% chance this story is true. It reminds me of the ludicrous and poorly-written fantasy stories I would write in 6th grade. I could tell from the opening paragraph that it was completely farcical.
    Most likely. But the fact that someone could conjure up a story like that and people would pause even for a moment to consider its plausibility given Jordan’s personality and reputation actually says a lot about him — and none of it’s good.

Now, had the storyteller worked in a reference to some nonsensical utterance by Jordan, he might have added a touch more credibility to his tale.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I can't believe there isn't a single "ceiling is the roof" reference in this thread. I am quite disappointed.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Most likely. But the fact that someone could conjure up a story like that and people would pause even for a moment to consider its plausibility given Jordan’s personality and reputation actually says a lot about him — and none of it’s good.
    If even 10% of the stories told over the years are true, it seems Mike might not be the greatest guy in the world. But damn, what a basketball player.