Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Michael Jordan is one competitive dude

I'm not sure what to think about this story so I'm putting it here:
    https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/t...omment-1590560

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That jives with everything I have ever heard about him. Some guys are fierce competitors on the court to the point of dirty (Chris Paul, Steve Smith from the Panthers) but true gems off the field/court, giving freely of time and money. Other guys are just flat out jerks.

MJ is one of the most intense players we have ever seen, which is what made him impossible to look away from. But, his off-court stories are mostly pretty wretched.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    IDK. I don’t have a hard time believing that MJ can be a jerk. His Hall of Fame speech revealed an arrogance that extends beyond the court. OTOH, one of the big downsides of social media and internet message boards is the ease with which we believe negative stories about people we already dislike. If true, this story is outrageously offense. All the more reason to give it no credibility until someone attaches their reputation to its validity.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    IDK. I don’t have a hard time believing that MJ can be a jerk. His Hall of Fame speech revealed an arrogance that extends beyond the court. OTOH, one of the big downsides of social media and internet message boards is the ease with which we believe negative stories about people we already dislike. If true, this story is outrageously offense. All the more reason to give it no credibility until someone attaches their reputation to its validity.
    I will say the timeline the guy lays out matches up pretty well. Jordan played for the Barons in 94, and I'm assuming the Ed and Jermaine referenced are Ed Cota and Jermaine O'Neal (based upon who they are guarding it makes sense) who were both class of 96 players. Can't quite find anyone on Princeton's late 90's teams from the Charlotte area though.

Ok, I've spent too much time on this.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    This person has a lot of casual details right, like the walk to Granville (which is where UNC’S ball players live, and yes, features a pickup court out front where the players routinely played back in the day).

There’s enough details in here to try to verify if someone had the time.

Seems a bit much. Jordan has the rep of a world class class $@&$hole, tho.

Give me any other player that you think is goat.your off court antics weigh in as much as your on court performance. Jordan may be top 5 or ten but I will never concede him as goat.

I think this story is BS, but he does seem to be like a jerk. Here's a first person account by hip-hop artist Chamillionaire seems to be legit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZQERHL6ow

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think this story is BS, but he does seem to be like a jerk. Here's a first person account by hip-hop artist Chamillionaire seems to be legit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZQERHL6ow
    MJ is the main reason I've never rooted for the Charlotte Hornets. He's a jerk and he seems to like being seen as a jerk. GoDuke!

Jesus . . . I don't know if that story is true, but I would never underestimate MJ's pettiness and will to destroy everything in his path. At this point, I don't think it's even possible to be that great at something and NOT be a complete A-hole. Greatness and eccentricity (loose definition of the word) go hand-in-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    I will say the timeline the guy lays out matches up pretty well. Jordan played for the Barons in 94, and I'm assuming the Ed and Jermaine referenced are Ed Cota and Jermaine O'Neal (based upon who they are guarding it makes sense) who were both class of 96 players. Can't quite find anyone on Princeton's late 90's teams from the Charlotte area though.

Ok, I've spent too much time on this.
    The post does not exactly say that he played for Princeton.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Jesus . . . I don't know if that story is true, but I would never underestimate MJ's pettiness and will to destroy everything in his path. At this point, I don't think it's even possible to be that great at something and NOT be a complete A-hole. Greatness and eccentricity (loose definition of the word) go hand-in-hand.
    bit of a selective bias.

Arnold Palmer and Jack
    Peyton and Tom Brady
    Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson

there are lots of people who are in the goat conversation in their sport who seen to be decent people off the field

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Aren't comparable players like Kareem and Russell considered to be pretty good guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Aren't comparable players like Kareem and Russell considered to be pretty good guys?
    Kareem by all accounts was and is a prince of a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    And LeBron James.

If this story is remotely true, it makes me very sad for Michael Jordan.

That is some next level pettiness.

Sadly nothing on snopes to confirm or deny this story.
    Last edited by fuse; 03-11-2019 at 04:45 PM.

I couldn't find the story.

The link goes to page 42 of a bulletin board.

Maybe if you linked the actual story. I just wasted 3 minutes trying to find it.

my take is that the story is fiduciary-ly true

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I couldn't find the story.

The link goes to page 42 of a bulletin board.

Maybe if you linked the actual story. I just wasted 3 minutes trying to find it.
    The story IS on page 42 of the bulletin board, it has blue type and starts with, "Cool Story Bro:"

The poster's name is Tyrone Wiggum. When I clicked the link it is the first thing that popped up.

Not that this is worth the effort, but here are the parts that seemed unbelievable to me:
    -The guy suffers a compound fracture and MJ laughs at him?
    -After laughing, MJ sneers at Dean Smith? No way. By all accounts, he revered Dean Smith. There is no way he would have treated him that way.
    -If he was that dismissive of the kid, do we really think he'd remember who he was years later?
    -No way he went through all the trouble arranging the chicken that way in the hopes that the guy would ask for white meat.

The whole thing seems contrived.
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 03-11-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Further proof that Gretzky>Jordan

And speaking of which, you all will enjoy this:

Rich Strafella, a VP and long-time gaming exec at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas, was recently asked by UrbanDaddy.com to share his favorite celebrity story.
    "I remember a night when Wayne Gretzky insulted Michael Jordan at the table. It was a private salon game. Michael had ordered a drink from the cocktail waitress, and he gave her a five-dollar chip. Wayne took it off the cocktail waitress's tray, gave it back to Michael, grabbed a hundred-dollar chip from Michael's stack and put it on the cocktail waitress's tray. Then he said, "That's how we tip in Las Vegas, Michael."
    https://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/9/16...l-jordan-vegas

Edit: The referenced post from the OP sounds a little too far-fetched... but still-- That fact that some might even think it's true says all the needs to be said.

The story ends with "/s", so it is a safe bet it is not true.