Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Forget a favorite song, I can't pick a favorite tour let alone a favorite Brent or Pigpen or Keith show.

Scarlet->Fire at Cornell (5.8.77), or anything from that show, is pretty choice by definition.

Intro->Help->Slip->Franklin at Great American Music Hall (8.13.75) is sublime.

Spring '90 (East Coast) was perhaps the last great vintage run.

Man, now I'm hungry.
    Can't spork, but any Dead anything from 1977 is a great answer.
    I'd also co-sign the above mentions of the Allman Brothers 1970 Fillmore East concerts.
    Likewise, Prince is way up on my list...the greatest live performance I ever saw, and there's not a close second.
    One artist I've been lucky enough to see a number of times, whom I believe to be underrated as a live performer, is Willie Nelson. I don't think people realize what a great guitarist he is. A troubadour in the truest sense of the word.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Forget a favorite song, I can't pick a favorite tour let alone a favorite Brent or Pigpen or Keith show.

Scarlet->Fire at Cornell (5.8.77), or anything from that show, is pretty choice by definition.

Intro->Help->Slip->Franklin at Great American Music Hall (8.13.75) is sublime.

Spring '90 (East Coast) was perhaps the last great vintage run.

Man, now I'm hungry.
    Ha! The thing about shows for me was the overall atmosphere. It was always something new, always something unforgettable. The vibe in the crowd (and the lots leading up to the show) was just as much a factor as the show itself. I don't think it is anything that can ever again be replicated. I enjoy Dead & Co for the same reason, even though not all the faces are the same.
    It was the atmosphere and the music that made it all intense and amazing. However, a kinetic environment doesn't mean the "performance" was kinetic.
    Good analogy...the most excellent orchestra in the world playing something fun, like Ride of the Valkyries. The music is perfect, it's awesome, it is powerful. You are literally moving to it. But the orchestra is still a bunch of folks sitting in chairs. You'll remember it forever, but you would be hard pressed to say it was an amazing "performance".
    Semantics...
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I believe to be underrated as a live performer, is Willie Nelson. I don't think people realize what a great guitarist he is. A troubadour in the truest sense of the word.
    Like Willie, he doesn't do "rock", but Mike Cross is another name I've thought of while reading this list. He is so fun and engaging. I'm guessing a few Dukies have seen him live over the years. Madman on the fiddle.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ha! The thing about shows for me was the overall atmosphere. It was always something new, always something unforgettable. The vibe in the crowd (and the lots leading up to the show) was just as much a factor as the show itself. I don't think it is anything that can ever again be replicated. I enjoy Dead & Co for the same reason, even though not all the faces are the same.
    It was the atmosphere and the music that made it all intense and amazing. However, a kinetic environment doesn't mean the "performance" was kinetic.
    IMO, it all came together at a number of GD shows. IMO, a good example was the 2nd Warlocks show in Hampton. I've never seen a crowd more appreciative than after that show. General admission was awesome, because everyone had their spot at Hampton, and you could visit with so many great people during the Hampton runs.

One artist I've been lucky enough to see a number of times, whom I believe to be underrated as a live performer, is Willie Nelson. I don't think people realize what a great guitarist he is. A troubadour in the truest sense of the word.
    Strongly agree. His son (Lukas) is also a great guitarist highly likely to have a great career.

If possible, I strongly recommend seeing Willie at Gruene Hall.

Can't spork, but any Dead anything from 1977 is a great answer.
    I'd also co-sign the above mentions of the Allman Brothers 1970 Fillmore East concerts.
    Likewise, Prince is way up on my list...the greatest live performance I ever saw, and there's not a close second.
    Willie is a wonderful show!

As for the Dead, I saw them in Paris in October of 1990, was studying in Dijon. Brent Mydland had just died that summer. Bruce Hornsby had been touring with them in the US, so he stayed on as their keyboardist for their European Tour. Played his accordion in Uncle John's Band. Really good show. Got some great photos.

Paul Simon's "The Boxer" on SNL after 9/11.

Dire Strait's "Sultans of Swing" on "Alchemy."

Rush's "YYZ/drum solo." Neil Peart is the single most impressive musician I have seen live, and the other 2 are up there with Victor Wooten.

Buddy Guy. He would say how he could play to sound like any guitarist, and then do it from one to the next in a song.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Willie is a wonderful show!

As for the Dead, I saw them in Paris in October of 1990, was studying in Dijon. Brent Mydland had just died that summer. Bruce Hornsby had been touring with them in the US, so he stayed on as their keyboardist for their European Tour. Played his accordion in Uncle John's Band. Really good show. Got some great photos.
    Hey, I was there for those as well! and some of the other Europe 1990 shows also. I don't remember the Paris shows being above average for Grateful Dead show, but at least for me, that was a pretty high bar. What I do remember is the weather being basically 35 degrees and driving rain.

Howard

Sitting here in the gallery listening to Pandora, and a great rendition of "Get Up Stand Up/War/ No More Trouble" by Bob Marley live at the Roxy ('76) pops up. It's been pure energy playing for almost 20 minutes.
    I would have LOVED to have seen him in person. Sadly before my time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J6MtsSKdZE

Sorry but the Grateful Dead were 15-20 years past their prime by 1992. Their best albums were between Anthem to the Sun and European Tour. I own almost all of their dvd concerts but the best sounding one is the bluray Sunshine Daydream from the 8/72 concert in Oregon. (buy from Dead website for $60 with 3 cds). The concert was supposed to be developed into a movie so they had upgraded recording equipment. Despite the record heat the Dead shined. This despite PigPen's absence and the presence of a female singer. The bluray's upgraded sound allows the listener to finally hear the flat sound of Lesh's bass that was so obvious in a live concert. You might need an excellent sound system for blurays to hear this though.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    Sorry but the Grateful Dead were 15-20 years past their prime by 1992.
    Strongly disagree! IMO, Jerry did some of his best work during Brent's last two years (mid-'88 through mid-'90).

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    These cats were pretty good live.

That would have to be my vote. Best song on the greatest live album ever, according to Rolling Stone.

Was fortunate to see The Alllman Bros Band minus Duane at Cameron in the spring of '72

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    Sorry but the Grateful Dead were 15-20 years past their prime by 1992.
    Sorry you feel that way, and won’t try to tell you what to like or not. IMHO you’re missing a lot of really choice stuff worth exploring.

Sorry you feel that way, and won’t try to tell you what to like or not. IMHO you’re missing a lot of really choice stuff worth exploring.
    Dick's Picks 17, for example. Probably my favorite 'Shakedown Street'.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    Hey, I was there for those as well! and some of the other Europe 1990 shows also. I don't remember the Paris shows being above average for Grateful Dead show, but at least for me, that was a pretty high bar. What I do remember is the weather being basically 35 degrees and driving rain.

Howard
    Yeah, it was probably more the whole atmosphere and the fact that I was seeing the Dead in Paris. Deadheads took over Paris and it was hilarious watching the French gawking at the long hair and tie-dye shirts. Pretty sure we went to the Sunday show. I still have my ticket, mini-poster, and a strip of tie-dyed sheet with Grateful Dead European Tour 1990 on it. And the playlist. I need to dig that stuff up.

So this is a bit of a niche pick, and also not strictly a rock song, but Robert Randolph puts on some excellent, high energy live shows, and he’s the single best pedal steel guitarist I’ve ever seen. There’s a bootleg recording of a concert at the Mishawaka Amphitheatre in Colorado from ~15 years ago that is almost 4 hours of just pure fire.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Hear My Train A Comin' by Band of Gypsies (Hendrix) at Woodstock gets my vote

The last time Bruce played Nationals Stadium DC he opened with a fantastic version of New York City Serenade. Had a group of about 20 strings/violins just come play for that opening number. Outdoors, great weather, great seats. Awesome opening.

When I was a young man, I saw hundreds of live shows. My consistent favorites, in larger venues, were The Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers, and Little Feat. IMO, Jethro Tull was also very good live but toured the US infrequently.

In smaller venues, my consistent favorites were Warren Zevon, Leon Russell, and Danny Gatton.