Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Queen without a doubt, stole the show at Live Aid in July 85. Blowing away everyone. Here is their 23 minute set.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22oy8dFjqc

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Queen without a doubt, stole the show at Live Aid in July 85. Blowing away everyone. Here is their 23 minute set.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22oy8dFjqc
    Pfft. Rami Malek was better.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

These cats were pretty good live.

How about a little stripped down 3 piece virtuosity? Ozzy just goes with whatever lyrics feels right at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pfft. Rami Malek was better.
    Gotta admit, the guy did a great job as the world's greatest rock front man.

Allman Bros., Statesboro Blues, At Filmore East.

In terms of non-concert, live performances, there have been a few Letterman performances over the years that have been amazing. I will send over a list later on.

The first one that comes to mind is Bob Dylan- Jokerman (backed by The Plugz). I know some aren't fans but I've always felt it was such a unique and bad-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. punk version:

Here is another one of my favorites... Tom Petty & The HB's with Dave Grohl on drums from SNL '94:

https://vimeo.com/152863920

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I know I have started out here with guitar shredding, but there are too many people who don't understand that Prince is one of the greatest guitar players of all time.

2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions - "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - an all star cast including Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty and Steve Winwood, but Prince steps onto the stage to take the solo at 3:28 and completely burns the stage to the ground. To this day, no one knows if his guitar ever came down after he threw it in the air:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

That was great but, oof, made me sad too considering how recently we've lost a couple of those guys.

This is the most intense live songs I have ever seen — a creepy tune sung by an INTENSE Fiona Apple and the incredible Elvis Costello. Watch her eyes as it progresses and ends, it’s like she has come out of a horrible horrible trance.

https://youtu.be/9iP6obyOLnQ

This is a great thread without a correct answer, so let's throw out a lot of nominees...with YouTube links...please!!!

Robert Johnson sold his soul at the crossroads and, a result, became a blues genius. When he passed in 1938, the blues soul wandered for a few years until it was inserted in the body of James Marshall Hendrix who took that energy into an expanded direction. When he passed in 1970, a prodigy was already blooming in Texas but that soul jumped into his body and he took the lessons of his fore-bearers and paid homage to Jimi with this rendition of one of his great songs in 1983 at the El Mocombo club in Toronto. Oh, to have been there...

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - "Voodoo Cild (Slight Return) - Live at the El Mocombo - July 20, 1983
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoB_YBXXEOU
    No link, but the best SRV show I saw was a free one in Page Auditorium.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This is the most intense live songs I have ever seen — a creepy tune sung by an INTENSE Fiona Apple and the incredible Elvis Costello. Watch her eyes as it progresses and ends, it’s like she has come out of a horrible horrible trance.

https://youtu.be/9iP6obyOLnQ
    Damn, not to respond to my own post but — I bet a Fiona could boil a bunny with her stare alone.

My first Magic Bus video was from the LP/CD, Live at Leeds. This one is a video/audio performance with a comment stating it from an Isle of Wight festival:

Play. It. Loud.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I know not what choice others make; but as for me, give me ‘72 Stones in TX or nothing .
    https://youtu.be/tIfQipkkOqs

This is a great thread without a correct answer, so let's throw out a lot of nominees...with YouTube links...please!!!

Robert Johnson sold his soul at the crossroads and, a result, became a blues genius. When he passed in 1938, the blues soul wandered for a few years until it was inserted in the body of James Marshall Hendrix who took that energy into an expanded direction. When he passed in 1970, a prodigy was already blooming in Texas but that soul jumped into his body and he took the lessons of his fore-bearers and paid homage to Jimi with this rendition of one of his great songs in 1983 at the El Mocombo club in Toronto. Oh, to have been there...

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - "Voodoo Cild (Slight Return) - Live at the El Mocombo - July 20, 1983
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoB_YBXXEOU
    Just no.

Stevie Ray Vaughn was a pale imitator of Hendrix. Lifted his licks clean for some boring songs. He is Hendrix, regressed, and he surely did not possess the man's soul. Jimi died and went to Saturn.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Just no.

Stevie Ray Vaughn was a pale imitator of Hendrix. Lifted his licks clean for some boring songs. He is Hendrix, regressed, and he surely did not possess the man's soul. Jimi died and went to Saturn.
    To paraquote Clapton, SRV did not play music — he channeled it.

Mad respect for Jimi, but my view of SRV is radically different than yours. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Well, he was drunk off his butt that night and also a real jerk. I doubt he remembers much about that concert. I also won backstage passes and got to talk to most of them. Dean and Sony of the Blowfish were really nice, as was Edwin McCain.
    Ah only time I've met him was at a mutual friends house.we have a saying about that.instant butthole just add beer.

"My first Magic Bus video was from the LP/CD, Live at Leeds. This one is a video/audio performance with a comment stating it from an Isle of Wight festival:"
    This 1970 performance is a great bluray. This and Live at Leeds cd are their best live performances.
    The week of Woodstock they played along with the Jefferson Airplane at the outdoor Tanglewood stadium. Since Billy Graham promoted it the Airplane played last. Wasn't into The Who at the time so I just wanted to see them bust up their guitars like Monterey Pops Festival (they didn't). The Airplane played and their sound was significantly louder than The Who. Why? Marty Balin and Grace Slick could easily sing over a maxed out sound system while The Who had to limit their sound to hear their vocals.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Great thread. I know there are others on here who are much more knowledgable about the Grateful Dead than I am, but I have always loved the live version of Eyes of the World on Without a Net - Branford Marsalis is an incredible addition to an already great song.
    As a Dead Head, there are tons of live songs that I love, but I'd be hard pressed to put any of them in the "Greatest Live Performance" category. The crowds are great, the light/video shows are great, but the band itself tends to be a little staid. Unless you count Bob's cheeziness in his rock star efforts. That being said, one of the stand out shows for me was RFK in 92' when Mickey opened Casey Jones with a literal train horn strapped to his body, and Vince Welnick's amazing keyboard work on Baba O'Riley during the encore. The Dead COULD be very electric, when the timing was right. Their music always was, but the performances themselves less so. Of course, since I was always dancing, it wasn't anything that bothered me.

For performances, I have a favorite band, but no favorite song. I'll pitch out just about any live Jane's Addiction song. They were a combination of power and beautiful performance art. Crazy energy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    As a Dead Head, there are tons of live songs that I love, but I'd be hard pressed to put any of them in the "Greatest Live Performance" category. The crowds are great, the light/video shows are great, but the band itself tends to be a little staid. Unless you count Bob's cheeziness in his rock star efforts. That being said, one of the stand out shows for me was RFK in 92' when Mickey opened Casey Jones with a literal train horn strapped to his body, and Vince Welnick's amazing keyboard work on Baba O'Riley during the encore. The Dead COULD be very electric, when the timing was right. Their music always was, but the performances themselves less so. Of course, since I was always dancing, it wasn't anything that bothered me.

For performances, I have a favorite band, but no favorite song. I'll pitch out just about any live Jane's Addiction song. They were a combination of power and beautiful performance art. Crazy energy.
    Forget a favorite song, I can't pick a favorite tour let alone a favorite Brent or Pigpen or Keith show.

Scarlet->Fire at Cornell (5.8.77), or anything from that show, is pretty choice by definition.

Intro->Help->Slip->Franklin at Great American Music Hall (8.13.75) is sublime.

Spring '90 (East Coast) was perhaps the last great vintage run.

Man, now I'm hungry.