Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 285
  1. #1

    2019 ACC Tournament Thread

    Iím starting the thread so someone can tell me who we play and when.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I’m starting the thread so someone can tell me who we play and when.
    We will play the last game Thursday. Opponent TBD by Tuesday and Wednesday. Most likely against Syracuse, but possibly BC or Pitt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Here is a link to the tournament bracket:

    http://theacc.com/sports/2018/1/12/2...ournament.aspx

    Duke is scheduled to play Thursday at 9:00 pm but tip-off will be closer to 9:30 pm.

    EDIT: Here is a better link: https://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/defa...nt-bracket.pdf
    Last edited by Bob Green; 03-10-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Add better bracket link
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    This is one of the times that Daylight Savings Time comes in handy, since our first two games would be 9:30ish, and the Championship game is at 8:30. Our internal clocks will not have adjusted well by then, and it will be easier to stay up to see the end of games, even though we are crushing the opponents by 25 - 30 points.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham

    zion rampage revenge tour

    Just want to point out the tournament is set up for a possible complete revenge tour....with our possible path being:

    Cuse->UNC->VT

    allowing us to avenge (or re-avenge) all the losses we had without Zion.


    "If you don't address the things you're not doing well when you're winning the winning will eventually stop."

    -David Cutcliffe

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Just want to point out the tournament is set up for a possible complete revenge tour...with our possible path being:

    Cuse->UNC->VT

    allowing us to avenge (or re-avenge) all the losses we had without Zion.
    Cuse was with Zion but without Cam and Tre. Still revenge worthy.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Cuse was with Zion but without Cam and Tre. Still revenge worthy.
    oh i know...but he wasn't around to get revenge on syracuse the first time around, so it counts in my book.


    "If you don't address the things you're not doing well when you're winning the winning will eventually stop."

    -David Cutcliffe

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clifton, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Just want to point out the tournament is set up for a possible complete revenge tour...with our possible path being:

    Cuse->UNC->VT

    allowing us to avenge (or re-avenge) all the losses we had without Zion.
    This is the path I am selfishly hoping happens. I have a strong distaste for Syracuse and VT, and my contempt for all things Carolina is at an all-time high.

    UVA will have no picnic with the Clemson/NCState winner and likely either FSU or VT. However, I am predicting a Duke/UVA ACC Final. I realize that we have beaten UVA twice, but, to me, they are the best team in the country right now. They are also the ďrivalĒ that I respect most and the team I can tolerate losing to more than any in the country. I attended graduate school at UVA but that has very little to do with it. I just admire the heck out of Tony Bennett, the players he recruits, and the way they play. It is next to impossible to get players to sacrifice and play as one as UVA has been able to accomplish with regularity lately. Thatís also a reason that I love this Duke team as much as any ó they seem to genuinely enjoy playing with and for each other.

    I forecast Duke/UVA 3, but I am blood thirsty for uh_noís Revenge Tour scenario.

  9. #9
    I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. unc. That is all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Getting Zion back will be huge, but no guarantee weíll immediately return to being a superteam. Heíll have some rust to work off and K basically admitted he has lost some conditioning. Playing on three consecutive days is difficult for anybody, much less a big guy coming off a knee injury. Plus we likely wonít have Bolden. So other guys will need to step up and we canít have another 2-20 type performance from three.

    Iím hoping we hit some shots against Syracuse for a comfortable win. Alex must be licking his chops to play them, as his two best games by far have come at their expense. As a side note, Iím actually glad to be playing them and not Louisville who would be set for their own revenge game, so I guess thatís the silver lining behind losing last weekend. Win and weíll have adrenaline to carry us into the CHeat game, and you know Zion wants to destroy them.

    If we are fortunate enough to make it to the final, weíll be running on fumes but UVA also has very little to play for. It honestly wouldnít shock me if they got upset before the final. Even though they are a veteran team, they have a #1 locked up and probably the overall #1 even if they lose, so human nature may still kick in.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    If we are fortunate enough to make it to the final, weíll be running on fumes but UVA also has very little to play for. It honestly wouldnít shock me if they got upset before the final. Even though they are a veteran team, they have a #1 locked up and probably the overall #1 even if they lose, so human nature may still kick in.
    I would normally agree with you, but given last year's, um, episode, I predict Bennett isn't going to take his foot off the gas. UVA isn't going to be complacent with a number one seed.

    If any team needs to keep their momentum, it's UVA, and if they were able to beat the only team that has put Ls on their resume this season before the Big Dance, I suspect they would have a massive confidence boost.

    UNC on the other hand, might mail in a game, either officially or otherwise. I can see them not wanting to expose their team to a fully operational battle station like Zion. And we ALL have been told a billion times how much Roy values regular season over the tournament.
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 03-11-2019 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Added UNC thoughts

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    ^ but last year could also serve as a reminder for UVA that being healthy and rested in the NCAAT is more important than getting the overall #1.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I would normally agree with you, but given last year's, um, episode, I predict Bennett isn't going to take his foot off the gas. UVA isn't going to be complacent with a number one seed.

    If any team needs to keep their momentum, it's UVA, and if they were able to beat the only team that has put Ls on their resume this season before the Big Dance, I suspect they would have a massive confidence boost.

    UNC on the other hand, might mail in a game, either officially or otherwise. I can see them not wanting to expose their team to a fully operational battle station like Zion. And we ALL have been told a billion times how much Roy values regular season over the tournament.
    Counterpoint: After the events of last yearís ACCT and NCAAT, I donít think youíd see too much objection from the fan base if Tony left DeAndre Hunter in Charlottesville this week, or even put him in temporary cryogenic storage.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Counterpoint: After the events of last yearís ACCT and NCAAT, I donít think youíd see too much objection from the fan base if Tony left DeAndre Hunter in Charlottesville this week, or even put him in temporary cryogenic storage.
    Noted.

    I suspect we ought to hold a preemptive wake for whatever team gets UVA in the opening game.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Getting Zion back will be huge, but no guarantee we’ll immediately return to being a superteam. He’ll have some rust to work off and K basically admitted he has lost some conditioning. Playing on three consecutive days is difficult for anybody, much less a big guy coming off a knee injury. Plus we likely won’t have Bolden. So other guys will need to step up and we can’t have another 2-20 type performance from three.
    Agree that we shouldn't assume that Duke will hit on all cylinders right away. The theory of Zion being easy to integrate makes sense but is still just theory at this point.

    Also, I'm not sure Duke had proven "superteam" status yet, if "superteam" means something more than just being a first-tier team in the 2019 college basketball season. Being historically great is something else. UVA and maybe Gonzaga are right there with full-strength Duke this season. 2018 Villanova is better than all three, imo -- at the very least, they're right there. And personally, when comparing Duke teams, I still think 2015 Duke is right there with this team, possibly better.

    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    If we are fortunate enough to make it to the final, we’ll be running on fumes but UVA also has very little to play for. It honestly wouldn’t shock me if they got upset before the final. Even though they are a veteran team, they have a #1 locked up and probably the overall #1 even if they lose, so human nature may still kick in.
    UVA would need Duke to lose to lock up the #1 overall seed and the DC regional, imo.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Seems that the all knowing Committee wants to see what happens with Zion (as we all do). Pretty straightforward mission now, if we play well and beat unc, they very well might give us that one seed...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Winterville, NC
    If Duke wins the ACC Tournament do you think they get seeded higher than UVA?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    If Duke wins the ACC Tournament do you think they get seeded higher than UVA?
    If they are 3-0 against UVA in doing so, giving UVA their only losses...

    Probably not. Because it is too logical.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Seems that the all knowing Committee wants to see what happens with Zion (as we all do). Pretty straightforward mission now, if we play well and beat unc, they very well might give us that one seed...
    If Zion is back and we beat UNC in the semis, I just about guarantee Duke will get a 1-seed because I don't think the committee could defend giving UNC a 1-seed ahead of us, and I think it's unlikely that 2 teams from behind jump up ahead. Even as of today, it's 50/50 between Duke and Kentucky for the final 1-seed according to Bracket Matrix.

    Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    If Duke wins the ACC Tournament do you think they get seeded higher than UVA?
    Yes, assuming that Duke winning the ACCT means Zion is back and playing well. Based on Duke's head-to-head record with UVA and having not lost at full-strength since before Thanksgiving. Now, getting "seeded higher than UVA" just means we get the DC regional, as I would expect both to be 1-seeds in that scenario.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    If Duke wins the ACC Tournament do you think they get seeded higher than UVA?
    It all depends on how the committee decides to consider the losses without Zion. If they do what they say they normally do, then yes we should be seeded above UVa. Because we have only one loss with our full squad, and if we win the tournament over UVa then that would theoretically confirm our status as more or less that team.

    That's clearly the angle Coach K is playing with his comments about "9 games without our starting 5 intact" and his recent note that Bolden is not as critical as Zion and Jones (I don't think that was a throwaway comment).

    But you never know what the committee will decide.

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: 2019 Bracketology Thread
    By Troublemaker in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-13-2019, 01:57 PM
  2. 2018-2019 Officiating Thread
    By MChambers in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-21-2019, 08:04 AM
  3. MBB 2019 Recruiting Thread
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2018, 02:57 PM
  4. MLax: ACC Tournament Format, Schedule to Change in 2019
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •