Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Oh I’m talking about the season after next. If you can do a fifth year transfer can’t you do a fifth year at current school?
    There are only 4 years of eligibility. The “Grad Transfers” you hear about are players who red-shirted a year so that when they graduate they still have a year of eligibility remaining. Grad “transfers” are not treated like other transfers who have to sit out a year. Technically, they are not transfers, they are incoming graduate students who happen to have a year of eligibility. I think officially, you have to be enrolling in an academic program that is not available at the school you got your under graduate degree, but from what I hear that is easy to get around.

Marquis has never redshirted, so wouldn’t have a fifth year available to him.

It was great seeing Marques out there healthy and showing the skills many of us knew he had. Hoping he makes it back in time to enjoy a deep run in the NCAAs.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    There are only 4 years of eligibility. The “Grad Transfers” you hear about are players who red-shirted a year so that when they graduate they still have a year of eligibility remaining. Grad “transfers” are not treated like other transfers who have to sit out a year. Technically, they are not transfers, they are incoming graduate students who happen to have a year of eligibility. I think officially, you have to be enrolling in an academic program that is not available at the school you got your under graduate degree, but from what I hear that is easy to get around.

Marquis has never redshirted, so wouldn’t have a fifth year available to him.
    He would if he sat out next year. Now, one can discuss whether or not he would have any interest in doing that. But he definitely still has the option of sitting out next year and returning for year 5.

Did anyone hear coach say when Bolden might return? I watched the presser and he really had no idea. The MCL sprain could be anywhere from a couple days to season ending.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    As a fan this is really sickening. Though Duke has a few very talented individual players, the odds are heavily stacked against a young team that has had constant interruption advancing very far in the post season. It’s hard for any team going through this. Dropping out by the first weekend is leaning more towards expected than surprising. I guess the basketball gods feel we’ve seen about enough of post season success over the years.

As for Bolden I’m very thankful it’s just an MCL. I sincerely hope he sees a lot of success next year, whether that be in a Duke uni or in some professional capacity. The kid deserves it.
    I really don’t understand this first weekend gloom and doom. Yes, some previous Duke teams have flamed out in the first weekend, but those Duke teams couldn’t play defense - this team can. It sucks to lose Bolden at this point in the season, but he was still the fifth option on offense. His replacement is Javin, who probably has the worst hands since Warren Chapman (how’s that for a reference old timers?), but he will still be the fifth option on offense. Many people on this board have long said the death lineup is our strongest team and it doesn’t include either Bolden or Javin. What team in the first weekend has three players like Zion, RJ, and Cam on either offense or defense? Of course we could lose the first weekend and the matchups get harder as we progress, but expecting to lose the first weekend - I don’t think so.

Bolden's contributions this season have been legit. Here's hoping we get to see him have a chance to play for us again...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Bolden's contributions this season have been legit. Here's hoping we get to see him have a chance to play for us again...
    Agreed on both fronts. He's had some excellent games for us over the past couple of months and has shown some really improved defensive tendencies. He isn't one of our primary scorers but can get some buckets when set up. I haven't checked the stats, but his defensive rebounding has looked better too. He is also able to productively provide solid minutes, something that matters as we appear to be playing our guys really extended minutes.

Not to mention that if we see him it means 1) He is healthy, and 2) We are still alive deeper in the tourney

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Cmon man. UNC is top 5 right now. That was a 1/2 seed on senior night. And without Zion we almost did it. Shot 25% from three and RJ in foul trouble and still not too far off. Put Zion in... . Zion. RJ. Reddish - that's a second weekend team easy. Too athletic for most first weekend teams.

W Bolden we are final four potential. Without him maybe final four. Reddish aggression encourages me - K said the same (that Reddish we just saw w RJ and a Zion...

And Zion opens a lot more up for others
    Oh, I know we lost last night, but lighten up. It was a joke about how we parsed every word K said about Zion. Sorry if it fell flat.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    Did anyone hear coach say when Bolden might return? I watched the presser and he really had no idea. The MCL sprain could be anywhere from a couple days to season ending.
    Nothing announced yet, but I can’t imagine he will play next week just given the way he walked off the court. I think we’re going to need Vrank to play some real minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Nothing announced yet, but I can’t imagine he will play next week just given the way he walked off the court. I think we’re going to need Vrank to play some real minutes.
    I suspect Williamson, DeLaurier and White will get the 4/5 minutes, with Barrett playing some in smaller lineups. Duke has been down a big man or two a lot over the last few years and Vrankovic has not seen the floor. I doubt whether trading Bolden for Williamson will alter that equation.

...but I can’t imagine he will play next week just given the way he walked off the court..
    Agreed. Williamson, if I remember, kind of angrily speed-walked off the court under his own strength and still technically isn't back yet. That was what, 11-12 days ago? I wouldn't be shocked if Bolden is done. ... and of course it goes without saying I wish everyday for his recovery to come sooner than later, but were under 30 days before one team scales the tallest mountain in college basketball for 2019. Not a lot of time to play with...

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    Any word from K ? I sw posts that said K said NCAA or 16 but was that really said by him? Or just guesses here ?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I suspect Williamson, DeLaurier and White will get the 4/5 minutes, with Barrett playing some in smaller lineups. Duke has been down a big man or two a lot over the last few years and Vrankovic has not seen the floor. I doubt whether trading Bolden for Williamson will alter that equation.
    yeah, K loves switching on every screen and there is no way Vrank can do that...

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Any word from K ? I sw posts that said K said NCAA or 16 but was that really said by him? Or just guesses here ?
    In the press conference, all he said was it was an MCL sprain, not an ACL, which is good. And that they didn’t know the severity yet - grade 1, 2, etc.

I don’t know if he elaborated more in another forum. But I think the NCAA/sweet 16 talk was just speculation here.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    In the press conference, all he said was it was an MCL sprain, not an ACL, which is good. And that they didn’t know the severity yet - grade 1, 2, etc.

I don’t know if he elaborated more in another forum. But I think the NCAA/sweet 16 talk was just speculation here.
    IF in the best case it's only a grade 1, then it's the same timeline as zion...2-4 weeks, with DBR freaking out after he every game he doesn't play in, starting thursday.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by 22JumpShots View Post
    Agreed. Williamson, if I remember, kind of angrily speed-walked off the court under his own strength and still technically isn't back yet. That was what, 11-12 days ago? I wouldn't be shocked if Bolden is done. ... and of course it goes without saying I wish everyday for his recovery to come sooner than later, but were under 30 days before one team scales the tallest mountain in college basketball for 2019. Not a lot of time to play with...
    Zion went down 18 days ago and “will probably” play 22 days after his injury. Using the same timeframe for Bolden would mean sweet 16 weekend. However; and I hate to say this, but Marques doesn’t have as much at risk if he comes back quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Zion went down 18 days ago and “will probably” play 22 days after his injury. Using the same timeframe for Bolden would mean sweet 16 weekend. However; and I hate to say this, but Marques doesn’t have as much at risk if he comes back quicker.
    Zion is about 35 pounds heavier than Bolden and essentially moves around on the court like a guard in a center's body. It wouldn't surprise me much if Bolden is able to get back to game shape more quickly from the same injury.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    Zion is about 35 pounds heavier than Bolden and essentially moves around on the court like a guard in a center's body. It wouldn't surprise me much if Bolden is able to get back to game shape more quickly from the same injury.
    But Marques has a history at Duke of slow recoveries from leg injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I’m all in favor of playing small, but I don’t think it’s sustainable for an entire game. Especially when Javin is so foul prone (he did do a great job avoiding fouls yesterday) and Zion is still coming back from injury. We need another big body in the mix. The flip side is that we can potentially get another shooter on the floor in O’Connell or even (gasp) Baker.

I’m all in favor of playing small, but I don’t think it’s sustainable for an entire game. Especially when Javin is so foul prone (he did do a great job avoiding fouls yesterday) and Zion is still coming back from injury. We need another big body in the mix. The flip side is that we can potentially get another shooter on the floor in O’Connell or even (gasp) Baker.
    Cheats were a good matchup for Jack, not so much AOC.

Syracuse was a good matchup for AOC, not so much Jack (albeit he was in his slump).

Miami was a good matchup for both.

Coach K seems to give several players a look early, then go with what he likes in the second half. I expect both will get their chances.

If we play Syracuse, I like that matchup a lot. Bolden only played 10 minutes in that game. Jack didn't play at all. Zion, of course, didn't play at all either. I would think that's a good start, in a matchup where we could play a lot of guys low minutes, for us to play three games in three days.