Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    I will admit I am clutching at straws - but K seems to be backing this up.
    Yeah, I am glad to hear K’s comments. My experience certainly didn’t preclude the possibility that Bolden is near ready, just meant to note the possibility that he wouldn’t be.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedev_92 View Post
    Coach K just said in an interview that Bolden was progressing better than expected & that he was “optimistic about next week”, although he didn’t want to set that to be the expectation. Definitely a good sign!
    This is terrific news. I'm surprised there hasn't been more written or said about this yet. Having our "complete" team heading into next weekend would be dynamite.

Coach K just said in an interview that Bolden was progressing better than expected & that he was “optimistic about next week”, although he didn’t want to set that to be the expectation. Definitely a good sign!
    I was surprised Bolden didn't come up as a topic in the post game presser. I loved Coach K's responses to some of the questions they asked, particularly to Zion. He's dressed the media down a couple times this year.

Great to hear, thanks for the update. GoDuke!

Don’t know if anyone else heard the presser, but Coach K said again that he was optimistic about Bolden being back next weekend. Fingers crossed.

i noticed him walking off the court last night. he seemed to be walking fine...no limp or any sign of favoring his knee. hopefully, he'll pass the protocol process and be back 100% next week.

Wow that’s really great news about bolden!!!

Will we finally get our full team right at the most important time of the year?

It’s been an absolute rollercoaster for us Duke fans and we deserve to see a full deck out there for one last go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Wow that’s really great news about bolden!!!

Will we finally get our full team right at the most important time of the year?

It’s been an absolute rollercoaster for us Duke fans and we deserve to see a full deck out there for one last go around.
    I would like to see him back for the second game, probably against VCU. If not then, for sure against Va Tech who will may see the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I would like to see him back for the second game, probably against VCU. If not then, for sure against Va Tech who will may see the second round.
    If Marques is healthy and play as well as he had been before the injury and Javin can play like he did the last 2 games our center position is pretty solid. I'm hoping Tre can keep up his offensive contributions because I don't worry about his defense. Having him as our 3rd scorer can make up for a bad game from Cam.
    GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If Marques is healthy and play as well as he had been before the injury and Javin can play like he did the last 2 games our center position is pretty solid. I'm hoping Tre can keep up his offensive contributions because I don't worry about his defense. Having him as our 3rd scorer can make up for a bad game from Cam.
    GoDuke!
    Did coach K say anything about Bolden's availability recently? GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by GoDuke2015 View Post
    Wouldn't expect to hear much until after the first weekend (because it is unlikely he plays before the Sweet 16). If he is back for the first or second round that would be a big bonus, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Marques makes us one of the most formidable defensive teams in the country. It allows us to put even more pressure on the perimeter knowing that we have an excellent shot blocker in the paint. I believe we lead the ACC (and nation?) in blocks per game with Zion and Marques healthy? Someone fact check me!

Having him back is a huge boost and gives us even more size and depth. It will be useful against someone like ucf or vtech who have some excellent bigs.

I feel it also allows Zion to get even more “help side” blocks. He seems to love coming in late on a driving opponent after bolden alters a shot attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDuke2015 View Post
    He said Duke "hopes" to have Bolden back this weekend. Injury not as serious as first feared.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    He said Duke "hopes" to have Bolden back this weekend. Injury not as serious as first feared.
    Is that today's news or last week's news?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Is that today's news or last week's news?
    He said that after the Syracuse game I believe.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    If we end up facing UCF in the second round I really hope we'll have Marques back to match up against Tacko Fall. I wasn't too pleased to see them as a potential second round matchup just given how unique of a challenge they pose, something you never want to face on short rest (much like no one wants to see Syracuse and the 2-3 zone on short rest... have fun Gonzaga!). I would be shocked to see him play on Friday, but much less so to see him get some minutes on Sunday. That would give him two full weeks to recover, which is right on the timetable if this was indeed as mild of a sprain as has been indicated.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Wow, that's really good news. With the way it looked on TV, I did not expect to have Marques back at all, honestly. In any case, I'd expect Duke to be extra cautious and hold him out until he's 100%. We should be able to reach the 2nd weekend without him, hopefully, he can be 100% healthy by then.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    If we end up facing UCF in the second round I really hope we'll have Marques back to match up against Tacko Fall. I wasn't too pleased to see them as a potential second round matchup just given how unique of a challenge they pose, something you never want to face on short rest (much like no one wants to see Syracuse and the 2-3 zone on short rest... have fun Gonzaga!). I would be shocked to see him play on Friday, but much less so to see him get some minutes on Sunday. That would give him two full weeks to recover, which is right on the timetable if this was indeed as mild of a sprain as has been indicated.
    I'm not too concerned about UCF. For one thing, they aren't even expected to win against VCU, although that game should be close. For another, they just aren't that good. They got boatshedded by Memphis in their tourney, and the Tigers smacked them around earlier in the season too. Their best win is a road win against a not-that-great Houston, and their only other interesting win is a home win over a 7-seed Cincy (whom they lost to on the road).

Fall is very tall, and he certainly can be a factor defensively around the rim. But he's never faced anyone remotely as difficult to guard as Zion Williamson. He's not terribly mobile, and not very physical. I can imagine Fall getting a block here or there, but I can't imagine him really slowing us down. And he's not an offensive weapon other than catch-and-dunk situations.

I was at the tournament and stayed at the team hotel. I was amazed how well Bolden was walking and moving when the team got off the bus from Durham last Wednesday afternoon. I commented to a member of the staff later that Bolden looked good. He said that MB was doing really well, and he also said what Coach K said in the press conference - that they hoped to have him back this weekend. FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Marques makes us one of the most formidable defensive teams in the country. It allows us to put even more pressure on the perimeter knowing that we have an excellent shot blocker in the paint. I believe we lead the ACC (and nation?) in blocks per game with Zion and Marques healthy? Someone fact check me!
    Duke leads the nation in blocks per game, period. Marques certainly helps, but it's not really him who "makes us" one of the most formidable defensive teams in the country. We are that with or without him. Obviously we'd all prefer "with," but it's Tre, Zion, and Cam (and to a much lesser extent Javin and Marques) who make us so formidable on D.

Also, while Marques has Duke's highest block% over a full season since Shelden Williams stopped charging rent in Durham, during conference play Javin's block% (7.7%) is higher than Marques's (6.9%). In other words, even when Marques doesn't play, we have an excellent shot blocker (actually we have three, including Zion and Jack).