Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Cheats were a good matchup for Jack, not so much AOC.

Syracuse was a good matchup for AOC, not so much Jack (albeit he was in his slump).

Miami was a good matchup for both.

Coach K seems to give several players a look early, then go with what he likes in the second half. I expect both will get their chances.

If we play Syracuse, I like that matchup a lot. Bolden only played 10 minutes in that game. Jack didn't play at all. Zion, of course, didn't play at all either. I would think that's a good start, in a matchup where we could play a lot of guys low minutes, for us to play three games in three days.
    Probably goes without saying but Tre didn’t play more than a few minutes in Game 1 so we have yet to play the Orange at full strength. While we won’t have Bolden, it will be nice to finally see our 4 freshmen together against the zone with plenty of time to prepare (barring an upset prior to our first game).

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Oh I’m talking about the season after next. If you can do a fifth year transfer can’t you do a fifth year at current school?
    You can only do a fifth year ANYWHERE if you have a year of eligibility left. This is Marques' third year. Next year will be his senior year. Unless he sits out next year (which I cannot even fathom), he is finished after that with college ball.
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Probably goes without saying but Tre didn’t play more than a few minutes in Game 1 so we have yet to play the Orange at full strength. While we won’t have Bolden, it will be nice to finally see our 4 freshmen together against the zone with plenty of time to prepare (barring an upset prior to our first game).
    Keep in mind that Reddish missed the entire first Syracuse game due to illness.

Thanks Jim, of course, I had forgotten that. Considering how many Syracuse family and friends I have it’ll be nice to play them at mostly full strength although there’s no guarantee they win that first ACC Tourney game. They looked pretty bad against Clemson this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, K loves switching on every screen and there is no way Vrank can do that...
    K fell in love with that this season, first game versus UVa...caught Bennett off guard. Maybe go a different route now? Or play smaller lineup and keep it up?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    K fell in love with that this season, first game versus UVa...caught Bennett off guard. Maybe go a different route now? Or play smaller lineup and keep it up?
    Makes sense to stay with it now, if Javin and Jack are presumably going to take the lion's share of Bolden's minutes.

Makes sense to stay with it now, if Javin and Jack are presumably going to take the lion's share of Bolden's minutes.
    Javin is an enigma to me. He's 6-11 and clearly a really good athlete. That combination should be unstoppable. But his hands remain very weak, and he commits the Tony Lang soft fouls and sometimes he goes for rebounds soft. And he has no offensive game but dunks and lay ups apparently.

UVA doesn’t have guards who can blow by you one on one. The biggest way that they can hurt you is by hitting the three, so it makes sense to switch on screens and not allow them the split second of an opening to get a clean look. For more conventional lineups, switching everything doesn’t make as much sense. You wind up with Javin guarding Coby White in isolation, leading to an open three and an easy drive for an and-one on consecutive possessions.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    UVA doesn’t have guards who can blow by you one on one. The biggest way that they can hurt you is by hitting the three, so it makes sense to switch on screens and not allow them the split second of an opening to get a clean look. For more conventional lineups, switching everything doesn’t make as much sense. You wind up with Javin guarding Coby White in isolation, leading to an open three and an easy drive for an and-one on consecutive possessions.
    Or Tre Jones guarding Luke Maye or Kerry Blackshear in the post. It is a great defense against UVa, but like you said it isn’t great against everybody.

IIRC, this was the justification for switching everything against unc too... they have an uncharacteristically good three point shooting team this year.

Either way, switching or not, you give up something on defense.

I've noticed that with the switching-on-everything-defense, if an opposing team's guard drives to the basket against a Duke big, we have the defender under the basket rotate over to help, but there is often late help to cover the original help defender's assignment... which leads to a pass and a dunk to a dude just standing under the basket. That is my problem with switching everything.

I trust Jack White to cover all five positions on a switch, FWIW. Tre is more of a concern for me, getting stuck with Maye, Salt et al under the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Or Tre Jones guarding Luke Maye or Kerry Blackshear in the post. It is a great defense against UVa, but like you said it isn’t great against everybody.
    That wouldn't be the same Kerry Blackshear who lowered his shoulder into our defenders time and time again and never got called for it would it?

Get well soon big fella.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Javin is an enigma to me. He's 6-11 and clearly a really good athlete. That combination should be unstoppable. But his hands remain very weak, and he commits the Tony Lang soft fouls and sometimes he goes for rebounds soft. And he has no offensive game but dunks and lay ups apparently.
    Javin is more like 6'9" and more lightly built than Bolden. He has trouble handling bigs like Blackshear (doesn't everybody?). He also has issues catching and holding the ball. Javin plays hard and he's our guy and we need him, even with his issues of fouling. He did a nice job in the UNC game although found himself in bad matchups at times, such as defending Colby White.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Javin is more like 6'9" and more lightly built than Bolden. He has trouble handling bigs like Blackshear (doesn't everybody?). He also has issues catching and holding the ball. Javin plays hard and he's our guy and we need him, even with his issues of fouling. He did a nice job in the UNC game although found himself in bad matchups at times, such as defending Colby White.
    C'mon - 19 straight makes isn't a guy who has real trouble getting the ball...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Javin looks like he's moving around on his tippy toes. He did play a good game against the Cheats though. If he could get stronger it would help. GoDuke!

And it seemed like once Tre was back to guarding White, Duke was able to make some stops.

When can we expect a post MRI report on Bolden? i.e. the severity of his injury. Monday evening?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    That wouldn't be the same Kerry Blackshear who lowered his shoulder into our defenders time and time again and never got called for it would it?
    Nope. That would be the one who took 4 or 5 steps/shuffles as he butt-backed JD (IIRC) into the lane and took 5-6 second in the process, made the bunny and got a FT as a reward. Oh, yea, he also slid under Cam as he went up for a lay-up causing him to land hard on his hip/butt AND get called for a charge in the process.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by rolm View Post
    When can we expect a post MRI report on Bolden? i.e. the severity of his injury. Monday evening?
    Likely something in the next day-to-day .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I caught that ! Good one.