Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

ACC POY and NPOY Discussion

I’ve read every top 10 list I could find across the web and in both the conference and NCAA, it seems to be down to Zion then RJ. Ultimately voters will have to decide if they should penalize Zion for the injury or are his numbers so good it doesn’t matter. I think in both cases Zion will win but boy if RJ puts on a show tonight and Duke wins, he will really have a case.
    Last edited by wgl1228; 03-09-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    I’ve read every top 10 list I could find across the web and in both the conference and NCAA, it seems to be down to Zion then RJ. Ultimately voters will have to decide if they should penalize Zion for the injury or are his numbers so good it doesn’t matter. I think in both cases Zion will win but boy if RJ puts on a show tonight and Duke wins, he will really have a case.
    Assuming he's back and productive for the ACC and NCAA tournaments, I think NPOY for Zion is very likely.

ACC POY is a trickier case. My understanding is that voters aren't required to focus primarily on conference games, but in practice heavily weight them. Missing effectively 5.5-6.5 games (depending on tonight) is a lot of the conference season. That said, there's a couple of points will work in his favor. First, his pre-injury performance in ACC games was way beyond normal POY standards. Second, I think there are three players (Barrett, Hunter, and Johnson) who would carve up the voters who are reluctant to vote for someone who missed so much time. So my money would be on Zion for that one too.

ACC POY:

If Duke wins tonight without Zion, it's RJ.

If Duke wins tonight with Zion, it's Zion.

(I don't want to consider other possibilities at this point :-)

NPOY:

Unless Coach K is just really, really wrong about Zion being back for the ACCT, it's Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    ACC POY:

If Duke wins tonight without Zion, it's RJ.

If Duke wins tonight with Zion, it's Zion.

(I don't want to consider other possibilities at this point :-)

NPOY:

Unless Coach K is just really, really wrong about Zion being back for the ACCT, it's Zion.
    I agree, including the assertion that it makes sense that RJ could legitimately be ACC POY while Zion remains the NPOY.

Does the NPOY voting happen after the NCAAT?

Quote Originally Posted by W&LHoo View Post
    Does the NPOY voting happen after the NCAAT?
    no...or at least not as of 2011, when several writers expressed regret for not having voted for kemba.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    Assuming he's back and productive for the ACC and NCAA tournaments, I think NPOY for Zion is very likely.

ACC POY is a trickier case. My understanding is that voters aren't required to focus primarily on conference games, but in practice heavily weight them. Missing effectively 5.5-6.5 games (depending on tonight) is a lot of the conference season.
    This is what drives me crazy. It didn't used to be that way...a player was judged by his entire body of work...a 40 minute game against good or great non conference team was considered more important - or just as important - as games against weak conference teams. The way it was, the ACC player of the year = the best player on an ACC team...now in the minds of some it's the best player in ACC games.

I hear those nimrods on 99.9 the fan spout this nonsense. It reminds me of many years ago when I did radio and print journalism work involving high schools. The conference coach of the year always went to the coach of the team the won the conference, and the player of the year went to the leading scorer, or rush, depending on the sport, for the team who won the conference.

ACC POY should be the best player on an ACC team, and there should be no constriction - or restriction - of this to ACC games.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    This is what drives me crazy. It didn't used to be that way...a player was judged by his entire body of work...a 40 minute game against good or great non conference team was considered more important - or just as important - as games against weak conference teams. The way it was, the ACC player of the year = the best player on an ACC team...now in the minds of some it's the best player in ACC games.

I hear those nimrods on 99.9 the fan spout this nonsense. It reminds me of many years ago when I did radio and print journalism work involving high schools. The conference coach of the year always went to the coach of the team the won the conference, and the player of the year went to the leading scorer, or rush, depending on the sport, for the team who won the conference.

ACC POY should be the best player on an ACC team, and there should be no constriction - or restriction - of this to ACC games.
    I can see both sides, but if the ACC POY isn't meant to be weighted toward the ACC regular season, it's weird to me to do the voting before the ACC tournament. The reality is with the 18 game conference schedule (soon to be 20) most teams play few meaningful non-conference games anyway.

I can see both sides, but if the ACC POY isn't meant to be weighted toward the ACC regular season, it's weird to me to do the voting before the ACC tournament. The reality is with the 18 game conference schedule (soon to be 20) most teams play few meaningful non-conference games anyway.
    No way Maye gets it. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    If he has another ~30/~15 night tonight and the lucky/cheating bastards win and (assuming) they tie UVa for the regular season crown, I think he's going to garner a lot of votes.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I don't think you can miss 1/3 of the ACC games and win an award... I'd go RJ. don't think there's any real doubt it's between Zion and rj even with the horrible UNC local media voters going for Luke Maye.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Not so sure- if he has huge game tonight that might push the UNCheat centric vote in his direction.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If he has another ~30/~15 night tonight and the lucky/cheating bastards win and (assuming) they tie UVa for the regular season crown, I think he's going to garner a lot of votes.
    If they win and UVa loses (meaning UNC takes the regular season outright), there is a good chance Maye will get a lot of votes.

I don't know...the profoundly ignorant of ACC history crack heads at 99.9 were gushing about Luke and Cam and the beauty that are seniors yesterday afternoon. I needed an airline barf bag...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    If they win and UVa loses (meaning UNC takes the regular season outright), there is a good chance Maye will get a lot of votes.
    Is Maye even the best player on UNC this year? Admittedly my non-Duke watching has been light this year due to work responsibilities, but Cam Johnson has a much better statistical profile (even more so in ACC play). I also feel like he’s getting more chatter than Maye, though that is subjective.

Is Maye even the best player on UNC this year? Admittedly my non-Duke watching has been light this year due to work responsibilities, but Cam Johnson has a much better statistical profile (even more so in ACC play). I also feel like he’s getting more chatter than Maye, though that is subjective.
    This is why I'm rooting for Virginia. GoDuke!

Zion will win NPOY. Zion and RJ wish share ACC POY. So it is written, so it shall be....
    GO TO HELL carolina! GO TO HELL!

Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I feel certain there are voters who decided Luke Maye would win the award for THIS season at the end of LAST season. So, for them, the position for the past 12 months is "Give me a reason NOT to vote for Luke Maye."

Some considerations:

1. If the lazy default is to vote for the best player on the best team, then you were looking at Duke, and now Virginia. Carolina has not been the best team. But maybe tying for the best record (or having it outright on the last day) will be enough.

2. One of the Duke freshmen has this, right? Zion or RJ? Well, maybe. I think the limited ACC play (and inability to return before the voting period) hurts Zion. RJ looks like a solid choice, looking at the whole season or in conference play, but Zion casts a large shadow.

3. So let's say you want to single out a Virginia player. Which one: Kyle Guy or DeAndre Hunter? Glancing at the season stats, neither has distinguished himself from the other.

4. As noted above, Maye might not be Carolina's best player. Johnson is the team's leading scorer for the whole season, and White is the team's leading scorer in conference play. Maye is third for both.

5. Until recently, this was an award that usually went to juniors and seniors. Maye's basic stats aren't too different from those of Tyler Zeller, who won this award as a senior in 2012 (and wasn't the leading scorer on his team either).

All that said, I don't think the Luke Maye voting contingent is big enough to win. Big enough to finish ahead of the Virginia players (and Battle, Bowman, and Reed), and probably Zion, but I think RJ Barrett wins this.

Zion should and will win the NPOY award.

I actually like the idea that only ACC games are taken into consideration for the ACC awards... it keeps the conference awards from just being a copy-paste subset of the national awards. I'm not sure what will happen there. I wouldn't be shocked if Luke Maye wins it if voters take different stances on the Zion injury and then Zion and RJ split the Duke votes.

If I had to guess at what the results would be, I think RJ will win the ACC POY and, like others have said, provided Zion comes back for the ACC Tournament and plays like he can, then I think he wins the national POY award.