Thread: GQ Article

GQ Article

I read the GQ article the main page pointed out. Nothing major that's new, but nice tidbits. It's an easy read with some good photos.

My favorite line:

As you may know, most people hate Duke. It's time for me to confess that I went there, too, a long time ago, before anyone in the class of 2018 was born. People hate us for myriad reasons, but chiefly it's because we win so much more frequently than all of you, and because of our insufferable tendency to point this out.

Truer words were never spoken.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I read the GQ article the main page pointed out. Nothing major that's new, but nice tidbits. It's an easy read with some good photos.

My favorite line:

As you may know, most people hate Duke. It's time for me to confess that I went there, too, a long time ago, before anyone in the class of 2018 was born. People hate us for myriad reasons, but chiefly it's because we win so much more frequently than all of you, and because of our insufferable tendency to point this out.

Truer words were never spoken.

9F
    Except the bold, right? In my experience Duke fans aren't really out there bragging about how often the team wins. At least not until after someone starts hating on the team. But maybe I'm totally wrong about this?

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Except the bold, right? In my experience Duke fans aren't really out there bragging about how often the team wins. At least not until after someone starts hating on the team. But maybe I'm totally wrong about this?
    I agree. I don't brag; I just smile smugly.

I don't say a word. I let the logo on my shirt do the talking.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I don't even have to smile. I just exist, insufferably.

absolutely no one hates the crappy teams.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    absolutely no one hates the crappy teams.
    Not true, I hate UNC.

On a day like today, I prefer to adopt a somewhat regretful tone that implies I’d be a fan regardless, but, sadly, Duke’s dominance makes it paradoxically challenging to maintain zeal, that it’s difficult to root for teams that have been in the top 10 since the 1970’s, for coaches who mentor the world’s best NBA players, and for players who years after donning the uniform, are opining on ESPN or running NBA teams or doing whatever, all without breaking laws, rules, and/or social norms. It’s a regret that includes apology (sorry that your team will likely have its heart broken; sorry that our players are better than yours; sorry that our players like each other) as well as a sense of lost youth, of purity, of the need to rush the court after a close win, of a leavening of enthusiasm: when the ball drops through the hoop, the comparisons sift in, how does that basket compare to a Laettner jump shot, an Elton barreling through the lane, a Grant swooping from the rafters, a JJ rainbow? The leavening adds luster to the marvel of teenage athletics, like patina on a copper roof, but there’s a wistfulness to relentless excellence, to the recognition that while we will inevitably lose (some) games, we won’t lose many, but—at the same time—a persistently humble Stoic confidence that we can’t lose the overall war, because at the end of the day, we return home from the battle and shed our Duke gear, while you, my sadly misguided friends, will be shedding a baby blue symbol of moral decay.
    Last edited by johnb; 03-09-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'll admit that when I am asked if I am a Duke fan by someone after after seeing my shirt or hat or license plate or whatever, I am very quick to point out that I am an alumnus, so yeah, I'm a fan.

Sometimes I wonder if I am like those people who went to Harvard who somehow get it into a conversation within 30 seconds of meeting them. I sincerely hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I'll admit that when I am asked if I am a Duke fan by someone after after seeing my shirt or hat or license plate or whatever, I am very quick to point out that I am an alumnus, so yeah, I'm a fan.

Sometimes I wonder if I am like those people who went to Harvard who somehow get it into a conversation within 30 seconds of meeting them. I sincerely hope not.
    Or is it because you feel the need to establish a reason beyond simply liking the program which everyone else seems to hate? I find myself doing that, and I don't like that I do it!

As for the author's line, I also feel like that's a little bit of a hedge to just simply saying that people hate Duke because of the myriad reasons listed in the famous Duke Hatred Tsunami thread, most of which had little to do with the fans (save for the media's fawning over the Crazies).

This year has been a really interesting ride because I don't think the team has ever received this much attention, and it is because everyone loves Zion, and therefore Zion fatigue has set in, which then leads to more people being sick of the attention Duke gets. But, the parade of NBA players, hip hop artists and Presidents that have seen fit to make their appearance at our games this year is really insane. I can see anything like this ever happening again. Now, a GQ cover story is novel, but it was also written by a former GQ editor who also happens to be an alum who also was (maybe) the Editor-in-Chief of the Chronicle back in the late 90s so there is a little bit of the "sun never sets on the Duke basketball program" happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post

You just reminded me of a bit of a contradiction that certain applies to me, and in experience, a great number of other Duke alumni.

We are very proud of our university, tend to own and wear a lot of Duke gear, etc, but consciously avoid mentioning that we went to Duke. I often say things like "I went college in North Carolina" rather than name-dropping Duke. In part it's to avoid others' proclivity to make a snide comment, but it's more (at least in my case) because I feel like it's bragging and it makes me, and potentially my conversation partner, uncomfortable.

If I'm wearing Duke apparel, most people(90%) that make a negative remark about my Duke wear are CHEAT fans. They can't help themselves. However, it opens up a spot to comeback with, " well it could be a hat from those cheats down in chapel hill". I never run it in when Duke beats them, but let those cheats win a game and everyone of them come out of their closets. The bad thing is they have always been that way and will continue to be that way. Oh, I hate that program. GoDuke BEAT THE CHEATS!

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    You just reminded me of a bit of a contradiction that certain applies to me, and in experience, a great number of other Duke alumni.

We are very proud of our university, tend to own and wear a lot of Duke gear, etc, but consciously avoid mentioning that we went to Duke. I often say things like "I went college in North Carolina" rather than name-dropping Duke. In part it's to avoid others' proclivity to make a snide comment, but it's more (at least in my case) because I feel like it's bragging and it makes me, and potentially my conversation partner, uncomfortable.
    I do the same. I'll say I went to college in North Carolina. I never volunteer that I went to Duke unless asked or it makes sense in the context of the conversation.

I have noticed that most people who give a hard time about being a Duke fan stop once they learn I'm an alum. It's like that gives me a pass.

I imagine all the above might be different if I still lived in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I do the same. I'll say I went to college in North Carolina. I never volunteer that I went to Duke unless asked or it makes sense in the context of the conversation.

I have noticed that most people who give a hard time about being a Duke fan stop once they learn I'm an alum. It's like that gives me a pass.

I imagine all the above might be different if I still lived in NC.
    Yes, it is different when living in NC. I’ve noticed long time residents seem to hate us intensely and I almost feel like apologizing for my school choice. OTOH, those moving in from out of state often respect the Duke and some become fans.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yes, it is different when living in NC. I’ve noticed long time residents seem to hate us intensely and I almost feel like apologizing for my school choice. OTOH, those moving in from out of state often respect the Duke and some become fans.
    I live in Maryland, just outside the beltway in Montgomery County. The UMd fans still hate us...

(They also miss us - we gave them purpose!)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    ...In part it's to avoid others' proclivity to make a snide comment, but it's more (at least in my case) because I feel like it's bragging and it makes me, and potentially my conversation partner, uncomfortable.
    Meh, conversation is highly over-rated. If anybody asks, I'm happy to report that we are a very deep blue family. If they have anything negative or dopey-cutesy to say, I prefer the placid stare response.
    I enjoy waiting for them to start flailing.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Meh, conversation is highly over-rated. If anybody asks, I'm happy to report that we are a very deep blue family. If they have anything negative or dopey-cutesy to say, I prefer the placid stare response.
    I enjoy waiting for them to start flailing.
    Damn right!

I have no shame in telling anyone where I went to school and whom I cheer for.

If someone starts talking junk about "Oh, I don't like Duke", I just shrug my shoulders like they are stupid. This usually makes people uncomfortable to the point that they say something like "Yeah, Duke's OK, I don't mind them that much." This may have something to do with my physically imposing presence (I have big muscles) and death stare, but having heard this garbage since I graduated 20 years ago, enough is enough.

When we hold back witnessing others on our true allegiance, it only serves to empower the idea that nobody likes Duke. I am gonna let the world know loud and proud that I am a knowledgable and (somewhat) rational fan of college basketball who chooses loyalty to the Duke Blue Devils among all other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    If someone starts talking junk about "Oh, I don't like Duke", I just shrug my shoulders like they are stupid. This usually makes people uncomfortable to the point that they say something like "Yeah, Duke's OK, I don't mind them that much." This may have something to do with my physically imposing presence (I have big muscles) and death stare, but having heard this garbage since I graduated 20 years ago, enough is enough.
    I don't hide it, I just don't bring it up, because it usually results in making the other person look stupid, which can cause hard feelings in situations I'd prefer not to have them. For instance, at a work-related happy hour a couple months back, it came up (after trying to avoid it by first using the "in North Carolina line") in conversation and immediately got a snide remark out of a moron. The issue is that there is a difference between good-natured ribbing and being obnoxious and rude, and so many folks (admittedly this pattern is far more prevalent in North Carolina and states with ACC schools) seem not to be able to distinguish the difference. My response is typically (1) to let the person run his/her mouth and prove him/herself a fool, or (2) to help things along by being exceedingly polite to the idiot, but also to contradict something on a very factual basis (e.g. southerners are prone to making comments about Duke being filled with students from New Jersey, so then I do a detailed rundown of composition of the student body by state - the juxtaposition of someone stating a series of statistics in a deadpan fashion vs. someone saying things like "Oh I hate Duke" is pretty striking). I went with the former at the HH, and it was clear that the other folks thought that she was being a crass POS, even though half of them went to Maryland.

Since I don't actually say anything rude in response, the person tends to look pretty bad. In some sense I'm happy with the outcome, but I'd prefer to avoid it entirely.

I usually say, I went to Duke, but I could never had gotten in today. That gives me two advantages:

1. People don't think I'm an arrogant jerk.

2. It's true.