Captain Marvel - Spoilers

Saw it...and with what should be no surprise, I agree strongly with JE. It was OK. I wasn’t bored. I didn’t hate it. But there was just something missing. Well, a lot of somethings.

To start, I still don’t get how she got her powers or what was going on with everything. So the Kree and the Skulls are at war but really the people
    You think are the good guys are really the bad guys. That’s was a nice twist I didn’t see coming, but for the twist to really work you need to understand why the conflict even exists. And that just wasn’t really explained. And why did they need the power source at all? Maybe they didn’t and he was just trying to find his family? Would they really sit there for 6 years? And the explosion gave her power, but then they gave her blue blood and then they get their power from some collective but it’s not the same power and yet somehow they can control her power, but not really all of her power and...I’m confused.

Other things I didn’t like:

As talented as Brie Larson is, she felt miscast. I never really bought her tough persona. Or her standoffishness.

What was the point of Ronan?

What happened to the teseract?

What happened to the cat?

Did Captain Marvel never come back to help again? I guess she might have in between this and End Game (maybe the sequel is about that).

What was the relationship with her friend. They seemed more like lovers but Marvel was too afraid to actually go there. Disappointing.

I liked Jackson.

I liked some of the humor. I liked the twist (already said that)

I LOVED the opening and the tribute to Stan Lee.

I LOVED the mid end credit link to Avengers. So did the audience. Huge applaud there. Makes me want to watch End Game right now (though I don’t know how Marvel is going to beat Thanos. She’s no more powerful than Thor).

Bottom line - not in the top tier of Marvel movies. Maybe not in my bottom tier but definitely near the bottom of the middle. It seemed
    More like a DC movie (Aquaman) with an iffy plot, some forced scenes and nothing immensely compelling (other than the tie to Avengers).

Alas. Not sure if I will see again. Compare that to Avengers which I immediately wanted to watch again. Same with first avengers. And Guardians. And Spider-Man Homecoming. And Iron Man. And Spiderman 1 and 2 and, X-Men 1 and 2 and...

Also - this is a movie they should have started with the beginning. Instead they start when she is already super powerful and the first 35 minutes you’re basically confused. I get what they were trying to do but it failed. You can do that with Spider-Man because everyone pretty much knows that story. With this they botched it IMHO.

Show and tell...

This movie had a lot of tell and very little show. By that I mean the first half was full of clunky exposition where they explained stuff (Annette Benning was a living breathing exposition, and nothing more) but they never showed us anything or connected us with anyone. We got to the surface but never got beneath it. Other than hearing them talk, was there ever any attribute or understanding that you got from any of the characters in the first hour of the movie? Contrast this Guardians where we learn a tremendous amount about every single significant character within a minute or two of meeting them. That's the difference in a script written by James Gunn and one written by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (who?).

I 100% agree with Udaman about not understanding the Kree-Skrull conflict. It makes the surprise turn almost meaningless to us. The turn was brilliant and subverted our expectations for the film, but it didn't really have much weight because we did not know or care about anyone involved in the conflict. Pity.

-Jason "more later..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Dipped out of work to catch an early showing before the big crowds hit.

I enjoyed it. Top 6-9 Marvel movies for me. Only ones I can definitively put it behind are GOTG, Ragnarok, Iron Man, Avengers, and Infinity War. It's a tier below those, but just as good as anything else Marvel has produced.

Absolutely loved Larson. She owned the role. Loved her wit throughout the film.

Jackson, Mendelsohn, and Law all with strong performances as well.

The film was a bit slow to start, but it is an origin story. Final 2/3 - 1/2 were great.

I was worried I would find the cat annoying, but they did an outstanding job there.

I thought the twist was a little predictable. The neck chip seemed more like an inhibitor early on, so no surprise there. I did not expect the tesseract! That was done excellently.

Bringing Ronan in to set up the sequel was a smart move.

Lastly, the effects and cinematography were on point. One of the major knocks on BP was the special effects, because the A team was working on IW. I didn't see that issue here.

I think you guys are being a little hard on it. I agree it wasn't in the absolute top tier of MCU movies, but it was pretty good and certainly better than all the DC movies. Having the Avengers named after her was a great touch. Gaining her powers from an exploding infinity stone isn't any worse than a spider bite or gamma rays or whatever.

By the way, I think that mid-credits scene constrains the ending of Avengers 4. Previously, there were no characters alive who HAD to survive the events of Avengers 4... which made me wonder if they were going to kill everyone in a big ending, or reveal that those characters were actually the ones who died in the snap, or something like that. But that's all out the window with Captain Marvel around, who is guaranteed to survive the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    By the way, I think that mid-credits scene constrains the ending of Avengers 4. Previously, there were no characters alive who HAD to survive the events of Avengers 4... which made me wonder if they were going to kill everyone in a big ending, or reveal that those characters were actually the ones who died in the snap, or something like that. But that's all out the window with Captain Marvel around, who is guaranteed to survive the movie.
    Huh? I'm not following you. What about her showing up to help Captain America, Black Widow, Hulk, and the other snappening survivors constrains what happens after Endgame? I mean, look, we already know that Dr. Strange 2, Black Panther 2, and Spidey: Far From Home are all films that will be around after Endgame but I still don't see how her showing up in some way limits where the MCU goes after Endgame.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What about her showing up to help Captain America, Black Widow, Hulk, and the other snappening survivors constrains what happens after Endgame?
    All I'm saying is that previously, there were no snappening survivors who HAD to stay alive past Endgame. Now we have one. That removes possibilities like "all snappening survivors trade their lives to summon back Spiderman, Dr. Strange, etc" and "the characters you think are the snappening survivors are actually the dead ones".

(I've always been suspicious that the Snap isn't what it seems).

I enjoyed watching it and thought the whole kree and skrull flip flop of who’s good and who’s bad was pretty cool, and a few of the fight scenes, and nick fury and the cat, but I had a few issues with the overall movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    All I'm saying is that previously, there were no snappening survivors who HAD to stay alive past Endgame. Now we have one. That removes possibilities like "all snappening survivors trade their lives to summon back Spiderman, Dr. Strange, etc" and "the characters you think are the snappening survivors are actually the dead ones".

(I've always been suspicious that the Snap isn't what it seems).
    Why does she have to be alive once they reverse the snap? I imagine the sequels for her movies will take place before any of the other Avengers movies being. So, late 90s and early 2000s.

And the scene at the end must take place before Endgame. Don’t see how it constrains anything at all.

Count me in the liked it group. Enjoyable movie. Not the best, but wasn’t expecting it to be. Probably put it in the middle of I ranked all the marvel movies.

I liked the trailer for Dark Phoenix, but have the feeling they are going to blow that one.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I liked the trailer for Dark Phoenix, but have the feeling they are going to blow that one.
    You can probably count on one hand the number of times the third film in a franchise wasn't the worst of the trilogy.

Weak third films: Return of the Jedi, Dark Knight Rises, X-men: The Last Stand, Spiderman 3, Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Matrix Revolutions, Shrek the Third, Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, Red Dragon (third Hannibal Lecter film), Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Alien 3, Austin Powers: Goldmember, Hangover III, Godfather III, Die Hard With a Vengence, Mad MAx: Beyond Thunderdome, Back to the Future III.

Then again, Goblet of Fire was very good, top third of all the HP movies. Return of the King was fabulous. MI:III was strong. Revenge of the Sith was the best of the awful prequels. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was better than Temple of Doom. Toy Story 3 may have been the worst of those three films but it was a truly amazing film.

-Jason "ok, that was a waste of my brain power " Evans

You can probably count on one hand the number of times the third film in a franchise wasn't the worst of the trilogy.

Weak third films: Return of the Jedi, Dark Knight Rises, X-men: The Last Stand, Spiderman 3, Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Matrix Revolutions, Shrek the Third, Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, Red Dragon (third Hannibal Lecter film), Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Alien 3, Austin Powers: Goldmember, Hangover III, Godfather III, Die Hard With a Vengence, Mad MAx: Beyond Thunderdome, Back to the Future III.

Then again, Goblet of Fire was very good, top third of all the HP movies. Return of the King was fabulous. MI:III was strong. Revenge of the Sith was the best of the awful prequels. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was better than Temple of Doom. Toy Story 3 may have been the worst of those three films but it was a truly amazing film.

Revenge of the Sith. I wouldn’t call it the best. I’d call it the least worst.

First Class, Days of Future Past and Apocalypse makes 3 films - already a trilogy.

Jason,

Return of the Jedi was AWESOME! Ok, it was the least best of the three...but that's like asking a Duke fan, which are your three favorite ACC championships. Something has to be third best.

Back to the Future III also rocked. It may have been the best of the series, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    First Class, Days of Future Past and Apocalypse makes 3 films - already a trilogy.
    Oh my gosh... I completely wiped Apocalypse from my memory (for good reason, it was godawful). So, my "waste of brain power" post from earlier was even more of a waste than I thought.

You may now return to discussing a good, but not great, Marvel movie that folks like more than they really should because it ended well (films that struggle at the start but end well are more liked than films that start great but end poorly).

Oh my gosh... I completely wiped Apocalypse from my memory (for good reason, it was godawful). So, my "waste of brain power" post from earlier was even more of a waste than I thought.

You may now return to discussing a good, but not great, Marvel movie that folks like more than they really should because it ended well (films that struggle at the start but end well are more liked than films that start great but end poorly).
    Isn't that true of...pretty much everything in life?

Apocalypse had immense potential and they crapped the bed with it, I agree. Film was a mess similar to Last Stand which was also a bad third following 2 great first and seconds. But hey, the Fantastic Four never even made it to a third one (or second one with the latest disaster). Even the DCU can laugh at that poor franchise and they can't laugh at much although getting James Gunn and Idris Elba on board for Suicide Squad 2 is very smart.

So, was there any particular reason Fury needed to lose an eye? Is this further explained in the comics somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    So, was there any particular reason Fury needed to lose an eye? Is this further explained in the comics somewhere?
    Just watched; always late to the show.

I assumed the Nick Fury had always been shown with an eye patch, so if we were going back to 80s Fury, it should/could be pre eye patch. I thought it made for a good running gag.
    I agree with most sentiment here, though I would probably put it somewhere between top third and top half. Enjoyable movie. Some pretty good moments. Strange first act, for sure.
    Once End Game is streaming, I will finally be caught up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Just watched; always late to the show.

I assumed the Nick Fury had always been shown with an eye patch, so if we were going back to 80s Fury, it should/could be pre eye patch. I thought it made for a good running gag.
    I agree with most sentiment here, though I would probably put it somewhere between top third and top half. Enjoyable movie. Some pretty good moments. Strange first act, for sure.
    Once End Game is streaming, I will finally be caught up again.
    Yes, but there was little to no reaction by Fury to losing the eye. He was just sitting there facing the Flerken/cat and boom. He wasn't even mad about it. Of course, we see in Winter Soldier(I think, they are all blending together), there is more to the eye story when he reboots his security profile by using his left eye to authenticate.