Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Diakite has apparently declared. I'm on mobile so the below link, while ugly, will have to suffice.

https://www.dailyprogress.com/cavali...c7d852c08.html

- Chillin
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Here’s the Washington Post article on Diakete declaring: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.8a5a92f22786
    Hey, Hoo fans:

Do they have to turn out the lights and close/lock the door as they leave?

Yea, I know, they're not gone until they're gone but admit it, so many declarations make you a lot more nervous.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hey, Hoo fans:

Do they have to turn out the lights and close/lock the door as they leave?

Yea, I know, they're not gone until they're gone but admit it, so many declarations make you a lot more nervous.
    Wait until Kihei Clark declares!

Raise your hand if you thought UVA would have more NBA draft declarations than Duke this year

I don't think we end up losing them all (I think Guy and Diakite are most likely to return) but this is what happens when you win a national championship. There's really nothing else left to accomplish at the college level and your stock will probably never be higher. I do not fault these guys for entering their names and getting feedback. It's the prudent thing to do. If they choose to stay in the draft, I hope they accomplish their ultimate dreams and get drafted. In my eyes, bringing a national championship to UVA has earned you the right to do whatever you think is best and I look forward to cheering them on at the next level.

Next year's team will be very interesting. We have some guys redshirting that are very promising but it's hard to replace that kind of production regardless of who you have coming in the following year. Maybe this convinces the Hausers to come to UVA. Even though they'd have to sit out this upcoming year, it should put us right back into the thick of things the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    Raise your hand if you thought UVA would have more NBA draft declarations than Duke this year

I don't think we end up losing them all (I think Guy and Diakite are most likely to return) but this is what happens when you win a national championship. There's really nothing else left to accomplish at the college level and your stock will probably never be higher. I do not fault these guys for entering their names and getting feedback. It's the prudent thing to do. If they choose to stay in the draft, I hope they accomplish their ultimate dreams and get drafted. In my eyes, bringing a national championship to UVA has earned you the right to do whatever you think is best and I look forward to cheering them on at the next level.

Next year's team will be very interesting. We have some guys redshirting that are very promising but it's hard to replace that kind of production regardless of who you have coming in the following year. Maybe this convinces the Hausers to come to UVA. Even though they'd have to sit out this upcoming year, it should put us right back into the thick of things the following year.
    If either Guy or Diakite stay in the draft along with Jerome and Hunter, then UVA next year is going to look a lot like Nova did this year. If they both go, it’ll be amazing for UVA making a name for itself but the team will struggle to even get, much less stay, in the top 25.

Edit - If Guy goes, UVA would be looked for a grad transfer to possibly start at the 2. Yikes.
    Last edited by ElliottHoo; 04-17-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Wait until Kihei Clark declares!
    They may have to shut down The Sabre.

"Oh, we got trouble, right here in River City..."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'm on mobile so the below link, while ugly, will have to suffice.
    I find that links work BETTER when you post from a mobile device. The board software automatically converts the URL into a link. When I post from a browser it will show up as raw text unless I use the link button thingy.

Diakite has apparently declared. I'm on mobile so the below link, while ugly, will have to suffice.

https://www.dailyprogress.com/cavali...c7d852c08.html

- Chillin
    I get that they won a national title, but that doesn't mean the whole team is ready for the pros!

Whats with this trend of winning a national title and then everyone bolting for the NBA!? Whoever is giving this crap advice to these kids should be shot.

If you average 7 points per game and barely have a jump-shot to speak of, you aren't ready for ANY high level pro league, let alone the NBA. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    I get that they won a national title, but that doesn't mean the whole team is ready for the pros!

Whats with this trend of winning a national title and then everyone bolting for the NBA!? Whoever is giving this crap advice to these kids should be shot.

If you average 7 points per game and barely have a jump-shot to speak of, you aren't ready for ANY high level pro league, let alone the NBA. Crazy.
    It’s all the new rule. They basically get one consequence-free evaluation. Key is going to declare, too, and come back after a very short discussion. Diakite will most likely be back, and Guy might be. Huff will do it next year.

Frankly, any junior with any kind of NBA aspirations who doesn’t go through the process is doing himself a disservice.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post

This is a ridiculous perspective. They had this right after last year's loss to 16 seed UMBC and would have still maintained it if the Raiders had executed their last possession in regulation a bit better. These student athletes don't owe us anything; they aren't in our debt. They just owe it to themselves to strive for excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post

(1A) They are striking while the iron is hot, while their stock is at a high.
    (1B) Relatedly, if they return to school and all their best teammates are gone and opposing defenses can gameplan to stop them, it's possible their weaknesses get exposed more.

(2) They also could be taking advantage of the rules that allow them to get evaluated for free.

FYI, Kyle Guy is going to be an NBA player. He might take the Seth Curry path (long, a bit arduous) to get there, but a shooter like Guy has a place in the league. Seth currently is in the rotation for a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    This is a ridiculous perspective. They had this right after last year's loss to 16 seed UMBC and would have still maintained it if the Raiders had executed their last possession in regulation a bit better. These student athletes don't owe us anything; they aren't in our debt. They just owe it to themselves to strive for excellence.
    It was a poorly worded sentence. I didn't mean to say they only earned this right because they won a national championship. I would have supported their decision regardless of the outcome of the NCAA tournament. Selfishly, I can definitely stomach their decision a lot easier because of the championship.

HoopsHype has compiled several recent mock drafts into a consensus mock. Here is their latest, published just a few days ago:

A couple significant notes:

• For ACC teams, it is worth noting that Ty Jerome checks in at #29 and Mfiondu Kabengele at #37... both of those are positions that likely mean the player will choose to stay in the draft.
    • The Michigan trio -- Ignas Brazdeikis (#56), Jordan Poole (#69), and Charles Matthews (#79) -- would seem to be low enough that they might come back (which would vault Michigan into preseason top 5s) but Matthws says he is 100% staying in even though he might go undrafted. No word yet from Iggy or Poole.
    • Cassius Winston is #77 and is widely seen in these mocks as going undrafted. Could be a good sign that he will opt to return in which case MSU is likely preseason #1.
    • Taco Fall is #81 and also only shows up in one mock draft. If I had a late 2nd round pick, I would use it on him in a heartbeat. For 5-7 minutes per half, he can have a impact on the game. Can't say that about most 2nd rounders.

-Jason "can't wait for the lottery!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    *]Taco Fall is #81 and also only shows up in one mock draft. If I had a late 2nd round pick, I would use it on him in a heartbeat. For 5-7 minutes per half, he can have a impact on the game. Can't say that about most 2nd rounders.
    I don't see Fall having any real success in the NBA. He is glacially slow, and NBA teams are predatory at identifying and exploiting immobile defenders. That, combined with the defensive 3 seconds, the longer 3 point line, and the vast improvement in size and skill level of the players make it hard for a guy that immobile to work.

I'm sure he'll find a roster. But unless there are major rules changes I don't think we'll see him be even remotely as impactful as he was in college.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't see Fall having any real success in the NBA. He is glacially slow, and NBA teams are predatory at identifying and exploiting immobile defenders. That, combined with the defensive 3 seconds, the longer 3 point line, and the vast improvement in size and skill level of the players make it hard for a guy that immobile to work.

I'm sure he'll find a roster. But unless there are major rules changes I don't think we'll see him be even remotely as impactful as he was in college.
    That's where I am, too, and I really like Tacko. But he's REALLY slow, as you say, and his hands aren't good. He has very little skill outside the area immediately around the basket. His size will get him an opportunity, but he has to improve a great deal to be even a serviceable NBA player. Probably the closest current analog to him in the NBA is Boban Marjanovic, but he's much more skilled than Tacko and came in from Europe hyped as a really big deal. Even he hasn't been able to be more than a deep-bench guy.

Maybe Tacko can turn into a second-unit rim protector, but the odds are pretty heavily stacked against even that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Probably the closest current analog to him in the NBA is Boban Marjanovic, but he's much more skilled than Tacko and came in from Europe hyped as a really big deal. Even he hasn't been able to be more than a deep-bench guy.

Maybe Tacko can turn into a second-unit rim protector, but the odds are pretty heavily stacked against even that.
    Boban is 3 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter than Tacko. Look, I get that Tacko is limited due to his lack of footspeed, but I would be willing to wager a pie (if I was allowed to) that he gets 10+ minutes per game for a NBA team next season.

-Jason "we can revisit this debate in September or October... until then, it is just dudes with random opinions" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Boban is 3 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter than Tacko. Look, I get that Tacko is limited due to his lack of footspeed, but I would be willing to wager a pie (if I was allowed to) that he gets 10+ minutes per game for a NBA team next season.

-Jason "we can revisit this debate in September or October... until then, it is just dudes with random opinions" Evans
    Size is nice. But if you can’t defend people in multiple spots on the floor, it doesn’t really matter how big you are. Fall is glacially slow in the college game. Put him in an NBA game, where the players are SOOOO much faster and SOOOO much more skilled, and he will look like a statue out there.

Fall was effective in college mainly because he basically never had to leave the paint. The rules in college allowed him to stay in the lane, and the shorter 3pt line and fewer good shooters in college meant the penalty for camping out was minimal. He was basically only effective against Duke because (a) we couldn’t shoot and (b) the refs let him foul Zion without penalty. In the NBA, he can’t camp out in the lane (by rule), and even if he could, he would hurt the defense because teams would just run high ball screens to create open shots for great shooters. And with the longer 3pt line and better ballhandler all over the court, he will get abused by smaller players on switches.

I have a lot of trouble seeing him as anything but a defensive liability in the NBA. And if he is a defensive liability, he isn’t going to play, because he will certainly be an offensive liability.

Side note on Tacko...does anyone know if he’s that tall because of a medical condition or if he’s just an extreme outlier? I really hope it’s the latter, because in my limited viewing, he always seemed like a really nice, friendly guy.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    The Michigan trio -- Ignas Brazdeikis (#56), Jordan Poole (#69), and Charles Matthews (#79) -- would seem to be low enough that they might come back (which would vault Michigan into preseason top 5s) but Matthws says he is 100% staying in even though he might go undrafted. No word yet from Iggy or Poole.
    FWIW, the Michigan scuttlebutt is that, for whatever reason, Poole is heavily leaning towards staying in the draft. It seems like his Dad might be steering the ship, and for whatever reason it seems like he is frustrated with how Poole was used at Michigan even though Poole himself had never really showed any of that personally. It’s a bizarre situation.

Iggy, on the other hand, has had some recent quotes saying he’s open to returning. But he’s also already 20, obviously old for a freshman, so my gut feeling is that if he thinks he’s even an early second round pick he’ll stay in the draft.

As a Michigan fan I’m just pulling for one of the two to come back. A replacement for Matthews is sitting on the bench in former starter and super sixth man junior Isaiah Livers. Beilein is recruiting like crazy too, and could potentially bring in Mo Wagner’s little bro, who is a deadeye three point shooter. Plus he’s heavily involved in the grad transfer market. With the fact that EVERY contender seems to be losing more than expected, except MSU because of the deal they made with the Devil, I think Michigan is a top 5 team if even just Iggy returns.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    FWIW, the Michigan scuttlebutt is that, for whatever reason, Poole is heavily leaning towards staying in the draft. It seems like his Dad might be steering the ship, and for whatever reason it seems like he is frustrated with how Poole was used at Michigan even though Poole himself had never really showed any of that personally. It’s a bizarre situation.

Iggy, on the other hand, has had some recent quotes saying he’s open to returning. But he’s also already 20, obviously old for a freshman, so my gut feeling is that if he thinks he’s even an early second round pick he’ll stay in the draft.

As a Michigan fan I’m just pulling for one of the two to come back. A replacement for Matthews is sitting on the bench in former starter and super sixth man junior Isaiah Livers. Beilein is recruiting like crazy too, and could potentially bring in Mo Wagner’s little bro, who is a deadeye three point shooter. Plus he’s heavily involved in the grad transfer market. With the fact that EVERY contender seems to be losing more than expected, except MSU because of the deal they made with the Devil, I think Michigan is a top 5 team if even just Iggy returns.
    Too late to edit this, unfortunately, but here is some context for both Iggy and Poole.

The trajectory of the quotes in both cases is interesting. Poole, a fringe second round prospect by all accounts, has gone from talking about "testing the waters" (maybe not in those exact terms, but that was the reading of the tea leaves) to saying he thinks he's a pro "now". Iggy, meanwhile, right after he declared sounded very sure that he was going to go pro, is now making it very clear that "he has not made a decision yet":

“I’m definitely not deciding yet," Brazdeikis said shortly before Michigan's end-of-season banquet Wednesday night. "I’m talking to more of my coaches right now, talking to my agent, my family. There’s definitely a process behind this.

"There’s still a lot of time. We’ve got the (draft) combine still to go and there’s a lot of different variables that will play into it. I have not made a decision yet.”
    Matthews is 100% gone (which is more a factor of him being a fourth year player, and using the extra year of eligibility he gained from the transfer probably not doing anything for his draft stock either way)... I think he'll be able to work his way into the league for a few years as a defensive role player, but if not he's got the capacity to start making decent money now overseas. If I had to place odds on the other two, I'd say the most likely outcome is still both leaving, but Iggy staying is seeming like a more and more realistic possibility (especially considering he has the capacity to drastically improve his draft stock, potentially becoming a first-rounder... there's no reason why he can't do what Mo Wagner did for his stock by returning for another year).

If Iggy returns, even without Poole, Michigan is a Top 5 team to enter the year, especially considering how much other top teams (for example, Virginia) are losing, not to mention the fact that its looking likely that Michigan will land at least one more instant-impact player, either on the grad-transfer market (they're right in the mix for the consensus top grad transfer, Justin Pierce, who would immediately slot in at the 2 guard) or via late recruiting (Mo's younger brother Franz, a youngster but already a deadly shooter, is deciding between coming to the US and staying in Germany, and its become very clear that if he comes stateside it would only be to play for Michigan).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Side note on Tacko...does anyone know if he’s that tall because of a medical condition or if he’s just an extreme outlier? I really hope it’s the latter, because in my limited viewing, he always seemed like a really nice, friendly guy.
    I don't think he has a medical condition.. he's just really tall. He does have issues with his feet but that comes with the territory of being that tall and playing basketball.

There was research done on Shawn Bradley and it turned out no pituitary issues.. he's just tall. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...mmense-height/