Thread: Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel

Seeing the critic screening of the next Marvel flick tonight. I'll have a report soon as I can post it.

-Jason "very excited... if there is anything specific any of you want to know, post here and I will answer all questions" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Seeing the critic screening of the next Marvel flick tonight. I'll have a report soon as I can post it.

-Jason "very excited... if there is anything specific any of you want to know, post here and I will answer all questions" Evans
    I would like to know whether or not you can notice the CGI used to create the young Samuel L Jackson. I know Superman got roasted for the fake upper lip on Henry Cavel, just interested to see how it works for Jackson. Also interested to know how well they make a 70 year old run and act like someone half that age (yes, I know stunt men and body doubles)...but I'm still interested to see how well they pull it off.

Excited for your excitement. I hope the movie delivers.

Here you go... 18 minutes of what I liked and what I didn't in Captain Marvel. Don't worry, the podcast contains exactly zero spoilers.

Do a Dukie a favor and have a listen.

-Jason "sigh... it was fine, but nothing special and, as I said, I thought it was among the bottom third of all Marvel movies" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Here you go... 18 minutes of what I liked and what I didn't in Captain Marvel. Don't worry, the podcast contains exactly zero spoilers.

Do a Dukie a favor and have a listen.

-Jason "sigh... it was fine, but nothing special and, as I said, I thought it was among the bottom third of all Marvel movies" Evans
    It's too bad you don't do a written a review much anymore. As others have stated, I'm not a podcast person and I rarely use speakers on my computers. Your write ups in here were worth the read, and it felt like they were more part of the board vs "here's a link to something I did".
    Just my 2 cents.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's too bad you don't do a written a review much anymore. As others have stated, I'm not a podcast person and I rarely use speakers on my computers. Your write ups in here were worth the read, and it felt like they were more part of the board vs "here's a link to something I did".
    Just my 2 cents.
    Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Seconded.
    Thirded! I miss the written word... not a listener

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Thirded! I miss the written word... not a listener
    Thirded...I feel like at this point we should have a separate thread discussing our preferences with respect to written word, audio/podcasts, and video/youtube.

For me it's a time/pacing thing as much as anything else...something that takes me 2 minutes to read might take ten times as long in video or audio form. Of course I like consuming some things that way, but the trend towards audio/video has taken over news, gaming, DIY instructions, and tons of other things where it is sub-optimal compare to the written version. It's like someone said "hey, people listen to podcasts and watch videos...let's make EVERYTHING a podcast or video!" The problem is, when everything gets put in that format I literally (apologies to Jim Sumner, although I mean it in the truest sense) don't have time to consume all that audio/video media even if it interests me.

And before you all get off my lawn, I'm a "only" 30 years old and a software developer so not exactly anti-tech and I'd like to believe not so old that I just don't "get it".

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Thirded...I feel like at this point we should have a separate thread discussing our preferences with respect to written word, audio/podcasts, and video/youtube.

For me it's a time/pacing thing as much as anything else...something that takes me 2 minutes to read might take ten times as long in video or audio form. Of course I like consuming some things that way, but the trend towards audio/video has taken over news, gaming, DIY instructions, and tons of other things where it is sub-optimal compare to the written version. It's like someone said "hey, people listen to podcasts and watch videos...let's make EVERYTHING a podcast or video!"

And before you all get off my lawn, I'm a "only" 30 years old and a software developer so not exactly anti-tech and I'd like to believe not so old that I just don't "get it".
    YES! As soon as I read "18 minutes" I click "next thread". If you can't tell me what you think in under two minutes, then your thought process needs work. (Not calling out anyone in this thread, just saying in general.) I can read anything in under 2 minutes and catch your drift. If I want to listen to a long story that could be compressed in that same amount of time, I'll ask my girlfriend to tell me how her day went. I don't frequent this board to learn how my GF's day went...much to her dismay. "Are you listening to me? You're on that site again, aren't you?!"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

YES! As soon as I read "18 minutes" I click "next thread". If you can't tell me what you think in under two minutes, then your thought process needs work. (Not calling out anyone in this thread, just saying in general.) I can read anything in under 2 minutes and catch your drift. If I want to listen to a long story that could be compressed in that same amount of time, I'll ask my girlfriend to tell me how her day went. I don't frequent this board to learn how my GF's day went...much to her dismay. "Are you listening to me? You're on that site again, aren't you?!"
    It's not even that 18 minutes is too long in terms of amount of content, it's just that I could read the same information in text form in like half that time or better. I'll echo that this isn't intended to be a criticism of Jason, like I said in my first post this almost belongs in a separate thread discussing current media delivery trends. It's definitely in vogue, but for people who like to absorb a lot of content in a small amount of time it just isn't optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It's not even that 18 minutes is too long in terms of amount of content, it's just that I could read the same information in text form in like half that time or better.
    That's what I meant to echo. I enjoy reading the written word online much better because I can do it faster and with more comprehension. Also, I can do it without interference to those around me. Hard to listen to a podcast/media presentation in the presence of others without feeling totally rude. And I agree, it's a topic that is thread worthy on its own.

JASON EVANS: So there's a movie you can't yet go see for yourselves, but I was able to see an early screening, and as promised, I would like to share some free (and spoiler-free) content with you all. If you need a brief reaction, it was okay, nothing special, and kind of low on the totem pole of superhero movies.

DBR: Waaaah, I need a transcription.

While I join the chorus who prefer to consume information by text over audio or video, I don't see how that's relevant here. Most people have to wait until a movie comes out, or rely on the critical opinion of a comparative stranger. DBR gets an inside track from someone more familiar, who is unselfishly offering a timely opinion, but is under no obligation to serve you.

To some, making a recording may be a lot quicker than writing a review. Seems practical, even for people who aren't in love with their voices. And providing the same content in written and oral formats is not as easy as you think. I had to transcribe an interview for a magazine article once. The recording was about 45 minutes, and it took me approximately three hours. I don't know how the closed captioning people do it.

Excited to see it this weekend. Heard Larson is wonderful and someone finally gave Mendelsohn a decent role to play.

Seems like the thread is more exciting than the movie, which is pretty much what I've seen posted by numerous geek sites.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    JASON EVANS: So there's a movie you can't yet go see for yourselves, but I was able to see an early screening, and as promised, I would like to share some free (and spoiler-free) content with you all. If you need a brief reaction, it was okay, nothing special, and kind of low on the totem pole of superhero movies.

While I join the chorus who prefer to consume information by text over audio or video, I don't see how that's relevant here. Most people have to wait until a movie comes out, or rely on the critical opinion of a comparative stranger. DBR gets an inside track from someone more familiar, who is unselfishly offering a timely opinion, but is under no obligation to serve you.

To some, making a recording may be a lot quicker than writing a review. Seems practical, even for people who aren't in love with their voices. And providing the same content in written and oral formats is not as easy as you think. I had to transcribe an interview for a magazine article once. The recording was about 45 minutes, and it took me approximately three hours. I don't know how the closed captioning people do it.
    I appreciate Brevity's comments and he is right about the time it takes to write versus speak. There is no way I would bother to transcribe the podcast... whew, that would be a ton of effort. But, regardless of that, it similarly takes more time to write a full review than it does to record a podcast.

And there is one more thing I would add... I think there is value in a conversation (which is what these podcasts are) between two people that cannot be found in a simple written review. I am not saying one method of delivering information/opinion is dramatically better than the other, but they each have some value.

I am flattered that folks miss my written reviews and I will effort to provide a few more sentences of content when I post about a film I have seen going forward, but I am trying to build a little something here with this podcast and I hope the folks who listen to it will enjoy it and come back for me.

-Jason "in the pod, I sorta dump on Capt Marvel for a really slow, confusing, clunky first half... I am relieved to see that most other critics are agreeing with me and my distaste was not just me being in a bad mood" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Speaking only for myself, I'm not too interested in most podcasts, DBR basketball podcasts excepted. With film, I'm not looking for a transcript of a podcast but, rather, a well written, polished review. Think Pauline Kael.

Thanks to Jason for his kind audio review.

written and podcasts

I listen to podcasts when I walk my dogs. Love the DBR podcasts and Civilwarpodcast.org, the latter recommended by a colleague who majored in history(notAA) at UNC. When I walk with my wife I'm not allowed to listen to podcasts of course... Otherwise I'm a reader.

Eager to hear from others who have seen the film now that it is in theaters.

-Jason "the Metacritic number of 65 indicates lot of folks think it is good, but not many think it is great" Evans

Eager to hear from others who have seen the film now that it is in theaters.

-Jason "the Metacritic number of 65 indicates lot of folks think it is good, but not many think it is great" Evans
    They should podcast about it.

Saw Captain Marvel on Thursday night and thought it was a pretty good Marvel movie. I liked how the the Carol Danvers story line fit in with the Avenger story line, setting up her importance in the upcoming Avengers End Game movie. All in all, a very good night at the movies.
    Tom Mac

They should podcast about it.
    Seriously...all this reading when I could just listen?