Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Inspired by this thread and freezing cold weather headed down here to San Antonio, I'm making chili in my Crock Pot for dinner this evening.
    Speaking of weather: chili today, hot tamale.

Well, I cook oatmeal in a small crockpot. Steel cut, about 1/3 cup with some salt and just over a cup of water. Put it on a timer and set it for about 2.5-3 hours and it will be ready for you in the morning.
    And, I am exceptionally proud of myself.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    ... Put it on a timer ...
    I've woken up in the middle of the night to turn my (very old, very basic) crock-pot from high to low given what a recipe called for (and so the dish would be ready in the morning). It never occurred to me that there'd be crock-pots with timers (even though my 15-year old Mr. Coffee has a "brew" button which I can set to make the coffee for a time certain). Kids today and these new-fangled machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I've woken up in the middle of the night to turn my (very old, very basic) crock-pot from high to low given what a recipe called for (and so the dish would be ready in the morning). It never occurred to me that there'd be crock-pots with timers (even though my 15-year old Mr. Coffee has a "brew" button which I can set to make the coffee for a time certain). Kids today and these new-fangled machines.
    30 years ago my parents had a little automatic timer that goes between the outlet and the lamp with a manual dial you could set to turn the light over your fish tank on and off.

This off topic comment is brought to you by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15

We always hanged the pot over the fire. We had an arm that swung out - really fancy...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    30 years ago my parents had a little automatic timer that goes between the outlet and the lamp with a manual dial you could set to turn the light over your fish tank on and off.

This off topic comment is brought to you by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
    I have one of those on a lamp in my living room. I suppose I should switch lamps occasionally to keep people guessing. Bought several of them to use at church for the wreaths in the windows during Advent. Thought it looked nice for people driving by to see them on at night, even if the church was empty.

Well, yes, it's an auxiliary timer. Took me years to figure out the dial type but now "they" have those fancy pants digital ones. Maybe there's even an app that you can stare at on your cellular type phones.
    I love careening off topic!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Well, yes, it's an auxiliary timer. Took me years to figure out the dial type but now "they" have those fancy pants digital ones. Maybe there's even an app that you can stare at on your cellular type phones.
    I love careening off topic!
    Maybe you could go over to the Miami post game thread and careen them off the Joey Baker/Red Shirt discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Maybe you could go over to the Miami post game thread and careen them off the Joey Baker/Red Shirt discussion.
    Yes, please!

-jk

I've woken up in the middle of the night to turn my (very old, very basic) crock-pot from high to low given what a recipe called for (and so the dish would be ready in the morning). It never occurred to me that there'd be crock-pots with timers ...
    Have NONE of you seen "This Is Us?"

NEVER trust a Crockpot unattended! Particularly if it was a neighbor's that had been sitting in the basement for years.

Melt in your mouth meat loaf..Very good!
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/39054721746766632/

Not sure what's off-topic ... crock-pot timer discussions are literally about minutes ... move this to the main board.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

NEVER trust a Crockpot unattended! Particularly if it was a neighbor's that had been sitting in the basement for years.
    Had missed that cultural moment but this caught me up: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...mble-crock-pot

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Actually, NO!
    That cultural phenomena has passed me by. I am much more likely to be caught watching anything that is not "This is Us." I do enjoy asking my friends clueless questions that have no basis in the plot though. I do know that the sister's husband wears some odd looking hats.

I asked about that. Crickets...