Gene Banks - Tinker Bell

The Undefeated has a neat article on the importance of Gene Banks to the resurgence of Duke basketball. Unfortunately, I am blocked by the site from copying the link. It is a fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    The Undefeated has a neat article on the importance of Gene Banks to the resurgence of Duke basketball. Unfortunately, I am blocked by the site from copying the link. It is a fun read.
    linky.

Great article, but apparently written by a kid. There were scouting services (waves at Garfinkel) and Duke was on the map in the Bubas years (though we wound up in a ditch for a few after).

Tink tossed roses to the crowd senior night; he hand delivered one to my mom... (She dried it; we still have it.)

-jk

Was just coming to post. That 78 team was also the best in the nation - derailed by a fantasy island game from Goose....never did understand how they ever lost in 79 or 80...

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    linky.

Great article, but apparently written by a kid. There were scouting services (waves at Garfinkel) and Duke was on the map in the Bubas years (though we wound up in a ditch for a few after).

Tink tossed roses to the crowd senior night; he hand delivered one to my mom... (She dried it; we still have it.)

-jk
    Thanks for providing the link, jk.

linky.

-jk
    jk, don't ever get rid of it. That's special. Gene Banks was a great recruit for Duke and that '78 team was fun to watch. Should have been our first CHAMPIONSHIP. GoDuke!

linky.

-jk
    I was a freshman when he tossed those roses. I sat right behind the Duke bench for Tink’s shot against the Cheats.

At the risk of turning this into my personal thread (my apologies), I just noticed that the picture accompanying the article was taken at the Providence Civic Center in 1978 after we beat Villanova for the East Regional Championship. I attended that game.

linky.

-jk
    Well there are kids, and there are kids...
    According to the guy's bio, he's a veteran Philly sports guy...perhaps he is Philly centric and unaware of the Bubas years - because yeah, stating that Gene was the first big name to play at Duke is just not accurate of course. But Gene was the first one I remember....