Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Very interesting points. With Nike, they are a massive market leader, especially in basketball. Do they need to pay kids/programs? With UA, I can absolutely see them paying players, but maybe they have more of a moral compass (based on what I’ve heard of their executive team, maybe not).

IMO, we haven’t scratched the surface of this yet. Plenty more shoe company scandals to come!
    Good question...IMO I think there are more problems with intermediaries than there are with the shoe companies themselves, but anything is possible. The whole AAU/advisor realm has a pretty high sleaze factor.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Good question...IMO I think there are more problems with intermediaries than there are with the shoe companies themselves, but anything is possible. The whole AAU/advisor realm has a pretty high sleaze factor.
    True. It wouldn't surprise me if Nike wasn't involved with paying players. Sadly, it would surprise me if UA didn't pay players. I guess I'm just jaded with the oxymoron, "amateur sports".
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Here's a really good column from the Arizona Republic previewing what is at stake in the April trial.

You need a tracking party to find any amount of institutional control Arizona has exhibited.

Through it all, Miller has remained on the job, and the Wildcats (16-12, 7-8 in the Pac-12) are enduring their worst season since 1983-84, Olson’s first year.

But help is on the way, which can explain while Miller has a job.

Miller signed one of the nation’s top recruiting classes for 2019, including a potential dynamic backcourt of Nico Mannion from Pinnacle High and Josh Green from IMG Academy in Florida. Both are five-star recruits.

So far, those players at sticking to their commitments to Arizona.

But that and so much else will be at stake in April.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I vote for sending Buzzy Williams to Tucson. Along with his vests.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

There is exactly zero doubt in my mind that Wade is dirty. I've been around the VCU program enough to at least have conversations with each coach since Shaka took over. Shaka is charming and personable. Rhoades is friendly and salt-of-the-earth. Wade has no discernible personality. Now he's got a top 5 class his first year of recruiting at the P5 level. He'd landed a couple of top-50-type kids at VCU before he bailed. There's no evidence that he's a big-time coach, but he's punching way above his weight recruiting-wise. He's like Lorenzo Romar when he was at Washington.

You could see why Shaka got players. He had a lot of personality and ran an attractive system at a school with essentially no academic hurdles to clear. He could recruit anyone he wanted. He could JUCO, take transfers, do whatever. Havoc and tons of 3s in a wild home-court environment is pretty appealing for a lot of kids. Then he went to a Final Four. His recruiting made sense. Wade's doesn't. It's not difficult to figure out who the outliers are.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Any UNC-CHeat fan will tell you that since an agent claimed that Kansas was willing to pay Zion, and Zion came to Duke, the ONLY logical conclusion is that Duke paid Zion even more. There is no other possible explanation. But as far as Little, the situation is completely different. He knew nothing and chose the CHeats because he needed to go to the cleanest program he could find. (Yes, their fans actually think this.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Twisted logic. But maybe that’s what they learn in their “classes”.
    You just don't seem to understand.

This is the classic unc example of why they were justified in having make believe classes for players! You DON'T learn the real world lessons about payoffs and graft in the classroom! You need real world experiences with a guy named Fats and expensive rental cars.

This is pretty disgusting: https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ruption-trial/

Reminds of the old joke about someone who kills his parents and then pleads the court for mercy because he's an orphan!

I know that the Govt. had to go through the motions of adopting the fiction that Kansas, Louisville, etc. were the "victims" of the conspiracy to defraud them by the shoe companies/agents undermining the amateur status of players.

But, who the hell is Kansas kidding by pretending that it had no culpability in this, when its assistant coaches were knee-deep in it, and Bill Self is also directly implicated?

Kansas has alot of nerve to expect everyone to forget the text exchange between Self and Adidas' Gassnola reported on below (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.04306ce83d79) regarding the school's $ 191 million contract with Adidas:

"In August 2017, as lawyers for Kansas and Adidas were finishing work on a 12-year, $191-million extension of the apparel company’s sponsorship contract with the school, Coach Bill Self got a text message from a friend in Adidas’s youth basketball division. 'Hall of famer. Thank you for help with Getting this extension done. Thx brotha,' wrote T.J. Gassnola, a top consultant for Adidas basketball who traveled the country trying to convince elite teenagers to play for the shoe company’s youth, or grass-roots, league.

[B]'I’m happy with adidas,' Self replied. 'Just got to get a couple real guys.”'/B]

'In my mind it’s KU bill self . . . that’s what’s right for adidas Basketball . . . the more you win, have lottery pics. And you happy,' Gassnola wrote. 'I promise you. I got this, I have never let you down Except (Dyondre) lol.'”

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    'In my mind it’s KU bill self . . . that’s what’s right for adidas Basketball . . . the more you win, have lottery pics. And you happy,' Gassnola wrote. 'I promise you. I got this, I have never let you down Except (Dyondre) lol.'”
    I would looooove to hear Self try to explain his way out of that text. Why was Gassnola talking about Ayton and letting Self down unless it was Gassnola/Adidas job to procure recruits for Self?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

As far as the NCAA goes, couldn’t the coaches and/or schools say they were just joking or misspoke if they say anything against regulations during the trial?

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    As far as the NCAA goes, couldn’t the coaches and/or schools say they were just joking or misspoke if they say anything against regulations during the trial?
    "Typo" worked pretty well for the cheaters at unc.

"Mis-remembering" worked fairly well for a certain MLB pitcher !

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    "Mis-remembering" worked fairly well for a certain MLB pitcher !
    And former POTUS. GoDuke!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...scussing-offer

Pretty damning evidence against LSU and Coach Wade, who have had a pretty productive year.

"Dude," Wade continued during the call, "I went to [the handler] with a [expletive] strong-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong.

"The problem was, I know why he didn't take it now. It was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit. It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn't explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn't get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal."
    Later on in the wiretaps, Will Wade says the player is going to make more than the NBA rookie minimum to play at LSU. The player being discussed is LSU freshman guard Javonte Smart, who is averaging 11.5ppg for the Tigers.

-Jason "I suspect Will Wade may not be the coach at LSU (or anywhere) for much longer. Unless he is going to argue that it is not his voice on the tapes, he's cooked" Evans

Reports coming out on the Twitters that assistants at Creighton and TCU were involved with Dawkins as well.

link

From the above link...

College basketball’s fraud scandal has expanded by two schools after federal prosecutors alleged Thursday that basketball middleman Christian Dawkins paid a pair of $6,000 bribes to assistant coaches at unnamed schools located in Nebraska and Texas in order for them to later steer future NBA players to him.

Sources told Yahoo Sports the assistant coaches involved are Preston Murphy of Creighton and Corey Barker of TCU.
    While this is bad and wrong and (if true) these men should be fired, I don't see this crime as being one that brings the integrity of the program into question. I have a much bigger problem with the guys who were asking Adidas to help them in recruiting by paying tens/hundreds of thousands to recruits to get them to play for a specific program (which is what is alleged about Arizona, Kansas, and LSU).

-Jason "I wonder how LSU was able to convince Ben Simmons to play there..." Evans

^ I thought about Ben Simmons too, but also recalled that he basically quit on his team towards the end of the season. Seems like if he had been paid to go there, that would have sparked a scene similar to the one in Blue Chips where Penny Hardaway is unhappy and Nick Nolte makes a phone call and then tells him “you better be in practice tomorrow.”

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    ^ I thought about Ben Simmons too, but also recalled that he basically quit on his team towards the end of the season. Seems like if he had been paid to go there, that would have sparked a scene similar to the one in Blue Chips where Penny Hardaway is unhappy and Nick Nolte makes a phone call and then tells him “you better be in practice tomorrow.”
    Exactly what leverage did LSU have over Ben Simmons when he quit to prepare for the draft? He was clearly going #1 and seemed like a future all-star who would make a boatload of money very soon.

Let's pretend that we know Adidas did pay Simmons to go to LSU. When Simmons said he was shutting it down, it is not like LSU could ask for the Adidas money to be returned because Adidas hoped to sign Simmons to a shoe deal (Simmons ended up signing with Nike). Plus, how public could LSU be in all this seeing as no one can find out they paid him to play there? I don't see it like Blue Chips at all... the kid had all the cards. LSU really could do very little.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "I wonder how LSU was able to convince Ben Simmons to play there..." Evans
    Ben Simmons' godfather (longtime family friend who had played with his dad) was an assistant at LSU at the time

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Later on in the wiretaps, Will Wade says the player is going to make more than the NBA rookie minimum to play at LSU. The player being discussed is LSU freshman guard Javonte Smart, who is averaging 11.5ppg for the Tigers.

-Jason "I suspect Will Wade may not be the coach at LSU (or anywhere) for much longer. Unless he is going to argue that it is not his voice on the tapes, he's cooked" Evans
    Wade suspended indefinitely: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...amid-fbi-probe

Wonder how this will affect LSU's seeding?