Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Coach K's press conference was very encouraging:

1. There's been no talk about shutting Zion down by him or anyone in his family. He wants to play.
    2. Zion's injury is not expected to be long-term. They are following a protocol and it is "literally day to day."
    3. Baker played because he's been playing well in practice and we need another shooter.
    Did Coach speak to Jack’s DNP?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I won't pretend to say I saw this coming or even thought it was a good idea, or even think it is a good idea now...BUT...I'm still happy to see him play, and hope he has a great rest of the season.
    I'm with you on this. Let's let it play out. We don't get to see these young men in practice, well at least I don't. Joey might me making the 3 ball in practice. I have to wonder if Coach was sending a message to both Jack and Marques tonight. One thing we know for sure, Coach K will not throw them under the bus like the coach for the cheats does. GoDuke!

Did you miss when he put up 27 vs UNC with their entire defense focused on he and RJ? Or when he put up 22 vs UL?

So many here have ridiculously short memories. college freshman SHOULD be inconsistent. It's what he does when he's on that draws so much attention.
    No I did not. I have been pulling for Cam all season. Fortunately Alex O'Connell had a fabulous game. Yes freshman can have bad shooting nights. However his defense against Cam Johnson of UNC was not that special. I want Cam to do well,and I hope the next game is great for him. However going by the season's performance I have no high expectations for Reddish.

Jack White

If I missed it please forgive me but do we know anything on Jack?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Here's a link to the postgame press conference. Coach K just started.

https://www.localsyr.com/sports/oran...nce/1804528629

(Click the link under the picture.)
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    K said that Zion is coming back when ready and Joey will continue to get mins.
    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Coach K's press conference was very encouraging:

1. There's been no talk about shutting Zion down by him or anyone in his family. He wants to play.
    2. Zion's injury is not expected to be long-term. They are following a protocol and it is "literally day to day."
    3. Baker played because he's been playing well in practice and we need another shooter.
    The press conference is over, and the pickings were slim. Not much of a Triangle presence among the press. Coach K mostly answered questions about Boeheim. While dukelion and mph are correct, I feel like they said more than Coach K did about Zion and Joey.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Did Coach speak to Jack’s DNP?
    Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    No. No one asked him. The perils of modern journalism.

Right

I won't pretend to say I saw this coming or even thought it was a good idea, or even think it is a good idea now...BUT...I'm still happy to see him play, and hope he has a great rest of the season.
    Exactly! I have no idea if using Baker was a good idea, but I understand that only the coaches have any sense of what he can contribute this season. Maybe the coaches just want to make sure he gets a ring? 😉. In all seriousness, Coach K said something last week about how engaged Baker was on the bench. K seems to make a lot of his decisions based on his assessment of a player’s mental outlook. Maybe Baker’s engagement on the bench was a factor. Obviously, what he shows in practice is a factor too.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I missed the beginning but he didn't mention Jack in the part I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Just listened to the whole thing too. K’s ability to spin from the question the reporter asks to what he wants to talk about in a just a couple sentences never ceases to amaze this former Chronicle writer.

Agree that everything he said seemed largely positive. I wish someone had asked about Jack not seeing the floor. That’s the last piece of the “puzzle” here.
    In addition to, you know, being a great coach, I've always been amazed at this ability.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    as mentioned in the in-game thread, maybe it was using Baker that got the message across to AOC (who was 0-1 at that point): produce or get replaced. And whoo-dawg, did AOC produce. Career high in pts and 3s!!!

We don't win that game at Louisville without Goldwire's play. He can be forgiven for making a bad play tonight. He's just got learn how to focus consistently, and not just be energetic. Energy without focus causes bad mistakes. Energy with focus gets the team big wins.
    I'm actually ok with that lack of finish, although attacking the rim hard would have been preferable. He just didn't change speeds enough to get the play he thought he was gonna get. What bothered me most was that ridiculous more than cross-court pass trying to go over the zone that was easily picked off. That was a careless and stupid play. Cam had a poor game overall, despite at least 2 really excellent defensive plays near the start of the game, he seemed to not be keyed in for the rest.
    In regard to point one...I joked that lifting Joey's redshirt make Alex shoot well....but I don't think we can deduce that. I suppose it's possible there's some karma there somewhere....but what I think helped Alex was knowing he was getting big minutes ahead of time, so he lost his fear. And he's been playing with fear. Not tonight. Man, he wanted to jack up some more threes.

So the bottom line on Joey's redshirt, but not lifting it til tonight? Jury still out. All we can do now is embrace it, and hope that a renewed AOC, and maybe Baker, can make us more dangerous. If Joey drains a few big threes in Chapel Hill, we'll have our answer.

And credit to Goldwire for the L'ville game...he deserves it. But man, if he's in our top 8 going forward? (grit teeth, furrow brow)

Most questionable burning of a redshirt since Capel played freshman Vrank when K was out. I hope the long term ramifications are the same as I wouldn’t expect Vrank to contribute much more next year short of a rash of injuries.

Wow, color me shocked. I did not see this coming. Actual made 3’s!! And the defense in the last 10 minutes was outstanding giving up only 13 in that span. Cam’s perimeter D is exceptional. I really like when K puts him on the ball handler, he kills his vision.

This game was all RJ. He really just took over.

Baker decision was just bizzare.

Solid win.

A game that produced way more questions than answers though.
    Baker? White? Zion?

Hope this is the start of something good for Alex.

A little more offensive production from Cam and Tre will give this team a working margin, and with no expectations, I’m eager to see the defensive stats as I thought our defense was, aside from a few breakdowns, pretty good.

AOC's 3's came when we were:
    down 3
    down 2
    down 2
    up 1
    up 1
    Granted, it was close throughout, but that's a lot of momentum control.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The press conference is over, and the pickings were slim. Not much of a Triangle presence among the press. Coach K mostly answered questions about Boeheim. While dukelion and mph are correct, I feel like they said more than Coach K did about Zion and Joey.

No. No one asked him. The perils of modern journalism.
    Yet another reason I miss Al Featherston. Coach has a tendency to intimidate the writers and I’m sure they all knew they would get their head chewed off if they asked so none of them had the cajones to do so. Hopefully someone spoke to Jack in the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    In regard to point one...I joked that lifting Joey's redshirt make Alex shoot well...but I don't think we can deduce that. I suppose it's possible there's some karma there somewhere...but what I think helped Alex was knowing he was getting big minutes ahead of time, so he lost his fear. And he's been playing with fear. Not tonight. Man, he wanted to jack up some more threes.

So the bottom line on Joey's redshirt, but not lifting it til tonight? Jury still out. All we can do now is embrace it, and hope that a renewed AOC, and maybe Baker, can make us more dangerous. If Joey drains a few big threes in Chapel Hill, we'll have our answer.

And credit to Goldwire for the L'ville game...he deserves it. But man, if he's in our top 8 going forward? (grit teeth, furrow brow)
    Maybe Coach said to the other coaches, surely Joey can make more 3s than Jack has lately. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Don’t underestimate Cams defense. He’s very good. His reach is impressive. He’s gotten better finishing around the basket. His shooting is streaky but his defense is solid.
    Matt Jones D.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

—I’m flabbergasted that K would burn Joey’s redshirt only to play a handful of minutes in this game. I have to think there’s more to that story that’s going to be coming, either having to do with Zion’s injury or with why Jack didn’t play today. I have no inside information so I won’t speculate.
    Oh, heavens. Weren't you one of the smarties who INSISTED baker was redshirting? Yeah, I think you were. As long as he was in UNIFORM EVERY GAME, there was a chance he would play.

I understand second-guessing is the lifeblood of this site. You can't, however, make definitive statements when you JUST DON'T KNOW.

Great job by AOC, Marques, Jav, RJ and Tre. Check Battle 4-17 on FG.

I also heard schulman with his "moment of silence in both English and Spanish line. He should go back to Canada and call curling. And take Bilas with him.
    Last edited by WiJoe; 02-23-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Matt Jones D.
    as a freshman, at that.
    1200. DDMF.

46-point second half against the Syracuse zone--without Zion!

Not too shabby.

Z moved just fine and was jumping around on the sidelines