Thread: Alaska trip

Alaska trip

I'm supposed to be going on a 5 or 6 day trip to Anchorage, Alaska at some point this year to visit a friend. Any recommended things I have to see or do? I would like to hike and fish a little as well. What would be the best times to go?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I'm supposed to be going on a 5 or 6 day trip to Anchorage, Alaska at some point this year to visit a friend. Any recommended things I have to see or do? I would like to hike and fish a little as well. What would be the best times to go?
    Take a drive down the Kenai Peninsula, which is a spectacular trip. Seward is a good trip to do if you'd like to do some cruises to see wildlife and what's left of the glaciers. Not sure what things are like this time of year. If you're in to winter sports, Aleyaska Ski Resort is also in the area. A lot of folks do fishing trips in the area if that's your jam. A trip to Denali is a 4-ish hour drive to see the mountain and plenty of wildlife. That's how I'd spend my time given your length of stay!

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Take a drive down the Kenai Peninsula, which is a spectacular trip. Seward is a good trip to do if you'd like to do some cruises to see wildlife and what's left of the glaciers. Not sure what things are like this time of year. If you're in to winter sports, Aleyaska Ski Resort is also in the area. A lot of folks do fishing trips in the area if that's your jam. A trip to Denali is a 4-ish hour drive to see the mountain and plenty of wildlife. That's how I'd spend my time given your length of stay!

Have fun!
    Well I haven't decided on the exact days to go yet, I'm thinking sometime in early June.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Well I haven't decided on the exact days to go yet, I'm thinking sometime in early June.
    If that's the case then you should be there for the early stages of the salmon runs. There are a number of viewing areas in and near Anchorage --- as well as educational info. Salmon runs in the rivers also means bear viewing in the right places so consider that. Everything else in my original post holds. Aleyaska is pretty even if the ski snows are gone. You can still take the tram to the top of the mountain for some arresting views.

Some salmon viewing spots: http://www.alaska.org/destination/an...salmon-viewing

Given the source, would you expect anything different?

https://anchoragebrewing.company/

And, in case you needed any more reason to visit/tour, this is one of their brews:

beer-332284_4db37_sm.jpeg

Resistance is futile.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'm jealous...that's a bucket list trip for me. I understand the beauty is simply breathtaking. My only advice? July or August!!! There should be incredible fishing and hiking opportunities. I'm sure someone around here knows the area well. (or you could look up Carlos Boozer or Trajan Landgon...)

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I'm jealous...that's a bucket list trip for me. I understand the beauty is simply breathtaking. My only advice? July or August!!! There should be incredible fishing and hiking opportunities. I'm sure someone around here knows the area well. (or you could look up Carlos Boozer or Trajan Landgon...)
    Right! I'm really looking forward to it. After a little more reading early July seems to be the best time so far.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    I'd love to go bear watching in Katmai National Park. Here's a link for more info:

https://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvis...r-watching.htm
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I've only been to Alaska once, for the Great Alaska Shootout, but it was a blast! Lovely state...

I have a few cousins who lived a while in Juneau, including one who was running his gas powered log splitter and couldn't hear his wife's yelling about the grizzly rummaging trash cans along the street - and heading his way.

I think my favorite part was asking folks who'd moved there for their story: most of them had been there on vacation and just never went home, 'cause they'd found their home. Be careful!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    If that's the case then you should be there for the early stages of the salmon runs. There are a number of viewing areas in and near Anchorage --- as well as educational info. Salmon runs in the rivers also means bear viewing in the right places so consider that. Everything else in my original post holds. Aleyaska is pretty even if the ski snows are gone. You can still take the tram to the top of the mountain for some arresting views.

Some salmon viewing spots: http://www.alaska.org/destination/an...salmon-viewing
    We took the Alaska cruise last June for a week, going on the Celebrity Millennium (accommodations and food were great, and the service was even better! Highly recommend them!) Went from Vancouver to Seward with the usual stops along the way, taking a sight-seeing train from Seward to Anchorage to fly back to Raleigh. It was great! Our day trips were the totem polls, a hike in a rain forest, whale watching, a plane trip over glaciers, a helicopter trip to a dog camp to go mushing and something else I can't remember right now. Oh, a trip to an eagle sanctuary, or something like that (got great pictures!) Gotta go mushing! My absolute favorite part of the trip! I video'd that! And it's true, if your not the lead dog the view never changes!

The salmon were not running the first week of June. They start later in the month.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The salmon were not running the first week of June. They start later in the month.
    They often start as early as May and different species of salmon run at different times. True timing varies year to year. The Kings typically run earliest. The runs are heavily monitored so check Alaska gov't agency sites if you're interested. I suspect your friend that lives in Anchorage would know, too. It's a bit like the weather up there, everyone knows what's coming and when...

Thanks for all the input so far! I would love to go ride with the dogs but is that even possible in the summer months? Anyway anyone got any recommendations for food that has to be tried? I imagine some of the seafood is awesome, but if you know any specific places to get food that would awesome as well.