Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Silver lining, or gold lining? His shoe endorsement value just shot through the roof...
    IMO, Nike would want to make a very large offer, ASAP!

IMO, this is a risk/return analysis given current compensation levels. On a percentage basis, the risk of a college player having a career ending, or even substantially damaging, injury is very low. The return of playing and improving at the highest current competition level possible, possibly winning a National Title, and playing for the GOAT college coach is substantial. Easy for me to say, but I'd definitely advise continuing to play and negotiating a huge Nike deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, this is a risk/return analysis given current compensation levels. On a percentage basis, the risk of a college player having a career ending, or even substantially damaging, injury is very low. The return of playing and improving at the highest current competition level possible, possibly winning a National Title, and playing for the GOAT college coach is substantial. Easy for me to say, but I'd definitely advise continuing to play and negotiating a huge Nike deal.
    A reasonable analysis. Based on everything we have seen (and by we I mean outsiders, not program insiders who obviously know a lot more) of Zion, he will want to come back and play if the injury is sufficiently healed that playing does not present a significant risk of exacerbating that same injury. I don't think the possibility of another, completely unrelated injury would change his mind.

But of course the parents may see things differently and may advise a more cautious approach.

Of course all of this is academic if this turns out to be an injury that requires, say, 6 weeks out to recover. Hoping that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I think he'll play as soon as he's able.

But I wouldn't hold it against him if he didn't.
    This I think echoes most of our thoughts.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Of course all of this is academic if this turns out to be an injury that requires, say, 6 weeks out to recover. Hoping that is not the case.
    Given he was jogging afterwards, I don't see how that's even possible.

IMO, it would have been prudent to request an MRI before playing again. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have one today.

I'll wager he plays Saturday.

I am not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV. So I hope you are right. [Forgive me for noting that Kyrie came back and played in the game against Butler in which he was injured, before disappearing for a very long time.] I will be really surprised to see him play Saturday in any case though.

IMO, it would have been prudent to request an MRI before playing again. I'd be surprise if he doesn't have one today.

I believe his Mom will have the last say in this. Could be wrong and I hope I am. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I believe his Mom will have the last say in this. Could be wrong and I hope I am. GoDuke!
    His mom once told him "Wofford or Clemson." We'll see. His mom is awesome: (THATS WHAT YOU DO!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    [Forgive me for noting that Kyrie came back and played in the game against Butler in which he was injured, before disappearing for a very long time.]
    Exactly why I believe it would have been prudent to request an MRI before playing again.

I believe she had a very well-deserved say last night.

I think she should also be in attendance when Zion negotiates the greatest Nike deal ever.

I believe she had a say last night.
    So do I Jeffrey. I like the say you spell your name. Just like my late-son Jeffrey. GoDuke!

So do I Jeffrey. I like the say you spell your name. Just like my late-son Jeffrey. GoDuke!
    Thank you!

I'm very, very sorry to hear about your son! Just the thought brings sadness way beyond anything else. I'll do my best to represent his name well!

If he does play again I'm elated. I'll enjoy watching him.if he doesnt I'm glad I got to watch him play. Hes represented the palmetto state as well as any athlete I can remember. I wish him good fortune either way.

Obviously, he should be 100% before he returns. With a rest, Zion has a max 12 games left at Duke, most of which would be in high visibility tournaments. Risk of injury would be low, perhaps not much higher than if he quit the team and focused on nba workouts—even if he decides not to return, it’s not like he’s going to quit working out and playing hoops.

Casual fans don’t concentrate on college hoops until March. Leaving aside Zion’s team focus and competitiveness, a sparkling NCAA tournament would likely bring a massive windfall from companies who wouldn’t care if he’s only a very good N.B.A. player as long as he’s a long-term presence on Sportscenter.

I think she should also be in attendance when Zion negotiates the greatest Nike deal ever.
    Phil Knight: Zion, we'd love to pay you a zillion dollars to wear our shoe.

Zion: Mr. Knight, I'd love that, but I think I have some leverage now. Adidas just texted me. Again.

Knight: Okay Zion, you're right...make it TWO ZILLION DOLLARS.

Zion: I believe we have a deal.

Mama Williamson: THATS WHAT YOU DO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Carlos Boozer was on Mike and Mike this morning (which is no longer Mike and Mike, but I don't remember the name of the other guy). Talked about how hard it is for players to recover in-game from an injury when in the back of their minds they're worried about their teammate and wondering if he'll come back. He was also asked what advice he would give Zion if Zion were to ask whether he should play the rest of the season. Boozer's advice was that as long as you're healthy you should go and play and try to win that title, because this is the only chance you'll have in your life to do that and the NBA will always be there.

From what we know of Zion based on interviews, he seems like the kind of kid who will want to play. Maybe this injury will change things, and that would be understandable.
    Quote Originally Posted by aivroadstr View Post
    Stephen A has been uncharacteristically quiet so far.

All it was encouraging to hear that Zion was doing straight line sprints trying o see if he could get back into the game. According to the ESPN reporter he also insinuated that he will be coming back sooner than later.
    Stephen A Smith mentioned on ESPN today that RJ ran straight to the trainers room after the game to check on Zion even though he was supposed to be at a press conference. So pretty clearly they were all thinking of him throughout the game.

Smith also was on the Zion should keep playing side of the fence. Obviously he should only play if he's 100% and I'm sure Zion's family and Coach K won't let him until he is. People are acting like Coach K is going to throw out a less than 100% Zion out there. That'll never happen.

Phil Knight: Zion, we'd love to pay you a zillion dollars to wear our shoe.

Zion: Mr. Knight, I'd love that, but I think I have some leverage now. Adidas just texted me. Again.

Knight: Okay Zion, you're right...make it TWO ZILLION DOLLARS.

Zion: I believe we have a deal.

Mama Williamson: THATS WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    Barring any major catastrophes, Zion could/should be heading for Jordan\Lebron endorsement levels. He's certainly more likeable than either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Barring any major catastrophes, Zion could/should be heading for Jordan\Lebron endorsement levels. He's certainly more likeable than either of them.
    Im thinking much higher, for the first contract. The whole world has seen that Zion MUST pick the right shoe now. Whatever he calls the right shoe....is solid gold.

Im thinking much higher, for the first contract. The whole world has seen that Zion MUST pick the right shoe now. Whatever he calls the right shoe...is solid gold.
    Moreover (and perhaps I'm wrong) I would think that signing Zion to a shoe contract becomes absolutely mandatory for Nike...it'll look dreadful for them if he goes elsewhere.
    So assuming (fingers crossed) this is a minimal injury, the silver lining might well be that Zion's inevitable huge shoe contract just became huger.

IMO, it would have been prudent to request an MRI before playing again. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have one today.

Has this actually been verified that he was seen jogging?

RJ seemed a bit down in the interview afterwards, thats my worry. Though of course that would have alot to do with our loss to unx.

I think Saturday might be too soon. Would love to see him back by VT or Miami though.