Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Absolute nightmare. All our worst fears coming to fruition. Honestly, wasn't even bothered about the game itself because I knew we were going to be psychologically impacted by Zion's loss.

It was too difficult for us to adjust on the fly and none of the role players turned up/stepped up today.

Foremost on everyones mind is the injury to Zion. Lets hope its nothing more than a sprain. He seemed to be able to walk (quite quickly) back to the locker room so thats optimistic. However, I don't expect any real updates other than the usual "out indefinately" type of thing. We seem to never put a timeline on our major injuries anymore. Im hoping its nothing more than 2 weeks out with a sprain ala reid at kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Cameron is just over a mile from DUMC, and that's really because you have to go around LSRC now. Not sure why they couldn't have taken him there during the game. That said, I don't know if there's a medical reason for delaying the MRI or other hospital treatment. Someone mentioned in chat they try to wait for swelling to go down before imaging, but I am not a medical doctor.

In any event, he probably could've been at the hospital by the first media timeout if that's what they wanted.
    I'm not a doctor either but have been around sports for 25 years of my 28 year life and you can't do a MRI if there's a lot of swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    I'm not a doctor either but have been around sports for 25 years of my 28 year life and you can't do a MRI if there's a lot of swelling.
    Also, you don't need an immediate diagnosis on these injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Zion's time missed could be an opportunity to develop another scorer off the bench, which this team will desperately need with Zion out, and will also benefit from when he comes back. That player is Alex O'Connell.

O'Connell has some major flaws on both sides of the ball, and he's struggling with his confidence. But I think it's time to give him some prolonged playing time over the next few games, and let him play through mistakes.
    I hope you're right, but I just don't see it this season. He's just not strong enough with the ball. But he's the only bench player that I see who has the chance to make some 3 pointers. Teams are leaving him open. Goldwire is probably the worse shooter to play for Duke in a long time, so it's not him and I don't see Jack doing much on the offensive end of the court. When he drives, his man is so far off him it's easy to draw a charge of turn him over. Let's face it our bench is a mess. I had rather see Robinson shooting 3s for us right now. GoDuke!

On a positive note, RJ was a stud tonight. 33 points on 50% shooting. 13 boards. Cam wasn't bad either. If just one more guy stepped up and hit some shots...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Yeah, I think this the real reason. There's no rush. DUMC might be different, but most hospitals don't have someone manning the MRI at all hours. They'd have to call people in and what would be the point. Not an emergency. Not sure what the case is at DUMC.

On the other hand, I can reassure you that you can indeed do an MRI on someone with a lot of swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Right. It is only an emergency situation for our psyche. If this had been a Saturday game, he might not even get the MRI until Monday. They will treat it carefully regardless, but there is no immediate need for an MRI.

A lot of thing went wrong starting with Zion going down.

But with all that went wrong in the first half, we could have really closed the half out down 5 to 6 points down. We completely miss played the last minute of the first half.

To many EASY buckets for Carolina.

The match ups would have been completely different, Maye would have been able to run free like he did. Jav did a really good job on him in The second half.

I wish we would have turned up the pressure at the start of the second half with jones and Goldwire.

Get well Zion!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Three observations that haven't been made yet:

1. Outside of Cam and R.J., we made only four FG's -- three by DeLaurier and one by Tre. Thing is -- it's worse than that. Two of Javin's buckets were steals and breakaways. Therefore, we had only two baskets in the context of our offense that were not by Barrett or Reddish. C'mon guys!! We can do much, much better.
    2. They are burning the midnight oil at Nike in Eugene, OR. Oh my god, what happened to that shoe?
    3. Obama -- I dunno. Maybe he should just stay away from Duke basketball games. On second thought, we got clocked by Georgetown on January 30, 2010, with Obama in attendance, and that season ended OK.
    Regarding point 1: that’s what I’ve been saying. The offense is crap right now. We have 2 or 3 guys that can contribute on offense, that’s it. I think K’s iso philosophy has been detrimental to the role guys contributing as the season has gone on. It also doesn’t help that collectively the team just can’t shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Right. It is only an emergency situation for our psyche. If this had been a Saturday game, he might not even get the MRI until Monday. They will treat it carefully regardless, but there is no immediate need for an MRI.
    Yup. You see this all the time in the pros - players usually get MRIs the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Zion going out means my participation in the off topic Ymmmm Beer thread is going to skyrocket along with my bar bill.
    I'll be joining you tomorrow night after I get off call at 5 PM.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'll be joining you tomorrow night after I get off call at 5 PM.
    we're gonna need a ymmm VODKA thread....beer ain't gonna cut it...

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Regarding point 1: that’s what I’ve been saying. The offense is crap right now. We have 2 or 3 guys that can contribute on offense, that’s it. I think K’s iso philosophy has been detrimental to the role guys contributing as the season has gone on.
    You will get your wish...if zion is out...K will have to have them run a more structured offense. But lets not forget... that Awhen Z is on the court, getting him and RJ touches is easily our most efficient offense.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    we're gonna need a ymmm VODKA thread...beer ain't gonna cut it...
    Try something stronger than a lager. Maybe one of these:

ea0625c1a72d9f38480090e8599bf458_640x640.jpg

https://untappd.com/b/avery-brewing-...-aged-ale/9510

Money stat: 16.9% ABV.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Not to pour salt in our collective wound here, but likely best case right now is Zion comes back right before the rematch with the cheats. I’m looking at two more losses without him, and we’d likely finish third or fourth in the league (still with double bye). At that point, we’d likely have to win out to secure a 1 seed for the dance. Otherwise we are a six or seven loss team and maybe a two seed going in.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Not to pour salt in our collective wound here, but likely best case right now is Zion comes back right before the rematch with the cheats. I’m looking at two more losses without him, and we’d likely finish third or fourth in the league (still with double bye). At that point, we’d likely have to win out to secure a 1 seed for the dance. Otherwise we are a six or seven loss team and maybe a two seed going in.
    I don’t see two losses before the UNC game. I see losing either against Syracuse or VaTech: but VT without Robinson is pretty bad.

And then we get Miami and Wake at home; no chance we lose either of those games. They’re two very bad teams.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Two things:
    1) Turnovers= 20..Barrett= 5, Cam= 4, Bolden=1, Jones= 3, Javin= 2, White= 3, Goldwire= 1, Zion= 1 and this was the one that really hurt. Darn shoe.

2) I told yall Obama was a jinx.

GoDuke!
    Pretty sure I was the first one to mention the Obama jinx in the pregame thread.... I mean, where credit is due, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Pretty sure I was the first one to mention the Obama jinx in the pregame thread... I mean, where credit is due, you know.
    Is it really a jinx if the team wins the national championship again?

First, it’s important to recognize that #2 and #5 were the only reasons we didn’t get blown out of the gym in an 82-50 kind of way tonight. That being said, Reddish’s sequence at the end of the first half: heaving a desperation three with 6 seconds on the shot clock, allowing his man to get down the floor, getting the rebound because his man missed a dunk and then throwing the ball immediately back to UNC was one of the biggest moments in that game. Halftime down 6 versus halftime down 10 is dramatic.

There’s nothing to say about Jack White any more that won’t get me banned, so I’ll sinply say that I feel horrible for him. Watching the “Earn Everything” on ESPN+, it’s clear that he gets in his own head way too much. I can’t imagine he’ll sink another three this season, it’s endless and it’s painful.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    I don’t see two losses before the UNC game. I see losing either against Syracuse or VaTech: but VT without Robinson is pretty bad.

And then we get Miami and Wake at home; no chance we lose either of those games. They’re two very bad teams.
    If Robinson is back at or near 100%, we could easily lose that game. Miami and Wake should be wins, but RJ and Cam won't be enough scoring to beat anyone left on the schedule. We must get some scoring from one or two more players. I wish it could be Jack and Alex but they don't have confidence in their game. GoDuke!