Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Could Work Out Well

If I'm Nike, I take this opportunity to make an 8 figure CONFIDENTIAL settlement with Zion (if he finishes out the season in Nike shoes).

Repairs damage to the Nike brand, and gives Zion the security he needs to finish the season.

This is NOT an endorsement deal that would impact his eligibility, but a personal injury settlement.

Also, I would "develop" a special Nike shoe for Zion. Which, in a few months (after wide-spread TV coverage) he could endorse for serious $.

How's that for lemonade from lemons?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    What if additionally, Duke just underperformed tonight? It seems really unlikely to me that if we played this game 1,000 times without Zion, UNC would average a 16-pt victory. So, we don't need gameplanning to be worth 16 points or whatever. We need Duke to have underperformed by a certain amount of points and (separately) time to gameplan to be worth a certain amount of points.

This analysis, I like much better. I would agree we need to get Tre scoring more as the (now) 3rd option, and we probably need Jack or Alex to hit threes. Both seem doable to me.

I wouldn't speak for all Duke fans because I don't think you're even close to representing the majority here. A small percentage of Duke fans, sure, but personally I think your post is weird. Do you not live in fear when RJ and Cam play then? They are worth very conservatively at least 8 million (the guarantee for the #7 pick in the draft), or is there a certain earnings threshold that needs to be crossed before you feel bad? Tre Jones is worth at least $3 million and like Zion has already gotten injured this season -- do you fear for him? And if Jack White got hurt, wouldn't that suck, too? Or does one need to be a surefire NBA pro for you to feel bad? (Additionally, it's just really unlikely for Zion to suffer an injury that would prevent him from being a rich man, and I'm not talking about insurance.)
    K will have some coaching to do. Duke needs another scorer. If Jack can overcome the yips - he would be the best option because he is a pretty solid rebounder and defender. The season- assuming Zion returns by the ACC tourney- hinges on finding another shooter. Joey Baker is not walking through that door - or is he ??

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If I'm Nike, I take this opportunity to make an 8 figure CONFIDENTIAL settlement with Zion (if he finishes out the season in Nike shoes).

Repairs damage to the Nike brand, and gives Zion the security he needs to finish the season.

This is NOT an endorsement deal that would impact his eligibility, but a personal injury settlement.

Also, I would "develop" a special Nike shoe for Zion. Which, in a few months (after wide-spread TV coverage) he could endorse for serious $.

That's pretty good squeezing, and an interesting comment. And speaking of lemons...to lemonade...this will probably double what his shoe endorsement contract will be in the NBA to start.

I hope Zion gets well and is back sooner than later.

That said, this injury to Zion will be beneficial to the team until he (hopefully) comes back. They can learn how to play without Zion in the lineup, much like they did when they lost Tre. This will only make the team stronger moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post

That said, this injury to Zion will be beneficial to the team until he (hopefully) comes back. They can learn how to play without Zion in the lineup, much like they did when they lost Tre. This will only make the team stronger moving forward.
    Being a 1-seed is far more beneficial to this team than “learning how to play” without a guy who’ll (hopefully) be in the lineup come March.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    Being a 1-seed is far more beneficial to this team than “learning how to play” without a guy who’ll (hopefully) be in the lineup come March.
    Right, and of course, regardless of how well they "learn to play" without Zion....the Natty is off the table without him.

I feel like I've seen Zion turn his back to the goal and slip and fall a lot this year. Is it just me? Maybe the shoe issue, although more severe, isn't a one time occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post

Nope. It's February 21st.

Time to tighten the last few bolts on the team chemistry, get our offense/defense primed for March, and hold court on our #1 overall seed. Not the time of year to glean any benefits from losing our best player.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    K will have some coaching to do. Duke needs another scorer. If Jack can overcome the yips - he would be the best option because he is a pretty solid rebounder and defender. The season- assuming Zion returns by the ACC tourney- hinges on finding another shooter. Joey Baker is not walking through that door - or is he ??
    Unfortunately, I think fixing Jack's head games are much more of a challenge than a physical issue. I don't see that happening this season. He seems like he's just not there. He's defeated, at least with respect to shooting. He doesn't think he can make his shots anymore. He still has value for his rebounding and toughness, but I don't think we can rely on Jack's offense at this point.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by hibby91 View Post
    I feel like I've seen Zion turn his back to the goal and slip and fall a lot this year. Is it just me? Maybe the shoe issue, although more severe, isn't a one time occurrence.
    Brings a whole lot of questions like this, none of which Nike wants to see aired in public. Does the shoe, in addition to not holding up to the pressure, have a faulty tread as well? And oh, don't let this get around, but Mano Ginobli had this same thing happen...in a Nike...a few years back. He didn't get injured, it was just another ho hum NBA regular season game...but it looked like the same failure on the shoe...a Nike, on the left foot.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Call it what you want, but I don't think that would fly vis a vis eligibility...much better to wait until he's done at Duke before doing anything...at that point it would be a splendid idea.

Jay Williams was up early this morning "advocating" for Zion to sit out the rest of the year...

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    Jay Williams was up early this morning "advocating" for Zion to sit out the rest of the year...
    Yeah, that was pretty discouraging. He was talking up the business side of things, but come on. I like Boozer’s POV much more. Zion will make millions regardless. You only play college ball at Duke under the GOAT once.

Tired of this guy. He doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as injury prevention and management.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassdevil1 View Post
    I find it quite bizarre that Williamson makes three (presumed) consecutive Duke number one picks who have suffered leg injuries during their freshman seasons.

Brand came back. As did Irving. So, I suppose hope should remain for Williamson as well.
    One of the first things I thought about after the game. What might have been in Kyrie's case. GoDuke!

I guess Jay should tell Zion not to ride motorcycles either. GoDuke!

Jay Williams advising a young player on injury prevention? Is Vitale going to chime in with how to prevent male pattern hair loss? Perhaps a few former Heels will also give advice on studying for an upcoming college exam?

Because nothing says "durable enough for 82 game regular season plus playoffs each year in the NBA" like not making it through one 35-40 game college season...

Zion has a decision to make, but it's not so one sided or simple...as Evil K-Williams or Pippen think. And IMO, regardless of what happens, Zion will make many millions from basketball even if he never were to play again...he's still looking at a killer shoe endorsement one way or another...think about how powerful his message would be even if he did have to stop (which is not the case, just speaking hypothetically here). He might also take J Will's job. Jay is still in effect getting paid (by ESPN) for playing for K and Duke. Both Jays now that you mention it.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 02-21-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    Jay Williams advising a young player on injury prevention? Is Vitale going to chime in with how to prevent male pattern hair loss? Perhaps a few former Heels will also give advice on studying for an upcoming college exam?
    well... Seth Greenberg has a segment on who's going to make the tournament... do everything's on the table

Nikegate

Is it a bad shoe, is it lack of coaching where you wear the starters out and do not ever develop a bench or have we ever won when a president or ex president has been at the game?

I can see a billion dollar endorsement advertisement coming out right after Zion declares!
    Coach K is a great coach and man to man has been the best in years but zone defense would have beat the cheaters last night! Bench could play great also if they got some time on floor letting the starters rest!
    Clinton Lost! Obama Lost! Can't remember other ones