Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    It took all my restraint not to point this out in my original post and remain optimistic. Now you've put it out into the world and it can't be taken back. Curse you!!! (Please read with heavy sarcasm, haha).
    Given my (lack of) success in the Degenerates contest, apparently the opposite happens with everything I do lately. Accept my skepticism as yielding only positive results! (Of course, I could've reverse jinxed it with this post!)
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Can you clarify where you heard the "running in the hallway" and "sprained MCL" reports?
    Maria Taylor on Espn said that last night after he left the bench. She said that you could see Zion running back and forth testing the knee. The sprained mcl , I'm not sure where that came from.

Duke's Zion Williamson has $8M insurance policy against pre-NBA injuries: Report

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal...njuries-report

"...that kicks in if he falls outside the top-16 picks in the 2019 NBA Draft due to injury..."

"Duke covered the cost of the insurance policy, which likely cost around $50,000, Rovell reported, citing sources familiar with the matter. The NCAA includes a fact-sheet for loss-of-value insurance on its website.

The policy “protects a student-athlete’s future contract value from decreasing below a predetermined amount due to a significant injury or illness suffered during the policy’s designated coverage period. It is typically purchased for the year leading up to the athlete’s draft eligibility. It requires medical underwriting, and may include exclusions for specific pre-existing injuries or illnesses,” according to the NCAA."

Quote Originally Posted by Ky-Dukie View Post
    Maria Taylor on Espn said that last night after he left the bench. She said that you could see Zion running back and forth testing the knee. The sprained mcl , I'm not sure where that came from.
    K said "mild knee sprain" post-game. "MCL" is an educated guess based on how the injury occurred and Zion's reaction (grabbing the back of his knee).

It should also be mentioned (again) that running in a straight line is not the same as being able to cut side-to-side without pain.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondevil View Post
    K said "mild knee sprain" post-game. "MCL" is an educated guess based on how the injury occurred and Zion's reaction (grabbing the back of his knee).

It should also be mentioned (again) that running in a straight line is not the same as being able to cut side-to-side without pain.
    I would think Zion was just testing for how bad the pain was. Just a guess. Without an MRI I don't think Coach K would have put him back in without medical clearance. GoDuke!

Carlos Boozer wishes Zion (National Park) well - Zion (National Park) responds. Made me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I would think Zion was just testing for how bad the pain was. Just a guess. Without an MRI I don't think Coach K would have put him back in without medical clearance. GoDuke!
    Players want to play, even when they maybe shouldn't (well except for Scottie Pippen - https://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/14/s...ning-play.html) This is why there are concussion protocols. This is why coaches put minute restrictions on players coming back from injury (Joel Embid, Demarcus Cousins) Zion was probably itching to come back.

I'd personally be bummed for a number of reasons if he was healthy and still decided to sit out the rest of the season. I also think that it would hurt his brand which is driven by his magical combination of skill, athleticism, charisma, and team-first work ethic. Sitting out healthy, tho clearly justifiable, would tarnish that brand at least somewhat.

Of course that is all contingent on him being healthy and not having any undue risk of re injuring his knee.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    I also think that it would hurt his brand which is driven by his magical combination of skill, athleticism, charisma, and team-first work ethic. Sitting out healthy, tho clearly justifiable, would tarnish that brand at least somewhat.
    This would never happen. If he decided to sit out, they would just say he wasn't able to play. Regardless, I think he will definitely be back if he can be.

why are our guys wearing the CHEAP STUFF???

those are NOT elite shoes for our elite players...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    why are our guys wearing the CHEAP STUFF???

those are NOT elite shoes for our elite players...
    I know you're mostly kidding, but if you've seen Duke Basketball's videos of Duke's sneaker room, you'd be pretty impressed. These guys get access to everything they want from a Nike shoe perspective. So, the obvious answer is that, Zion chose to wear those (for some reason) over all others for this particular game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I know you're mostly kidding, but if you've seen Duke Basketball's videos of Duke's sneaker room, you'd be pretty impressed. These guys get access to everything they want from a Nike shoe perspective. So, the obvious answer is that, Zion chose to wear those (for some reason) over all others for this particular game.
    I'm not sure he is kidding...I checked them out earlier today, the PG2.5 is not an upscale shoe...yeah, maybe the version Duke uses is special, but it sure looks the same...I found the same price online at Nike ($92)...I drag my aged carcass around on shoes that are more substantial than those...I do agree with your point, though, that Zion no doubt had a wide choice of models...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm not sure he is kidding...I checked them out earlier today, the PG2.5 is not an upscale shoe...yeah, maybe the version Duke uses is special, but it sure looks the same...I found the same price online at Nike ($92)...I drag my aged carcass around on shoes that are more substantial than those...I do agree with your point, though, that Zion no doubt had a wide choice of models...
    Stop victim blaming

I’m getting worried about why we haven’t heard anything from Duke today?? Medical tests have most certainly been completed, right? No news is concerning. Somebody help me.

Jalen Rose v Jay Will

Sad state of affairs when Jalen Rose of The Fab Five makes more sense than J Will about the Zion situation...(as did Mike DeCourcy).

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Sad state of affairs when Jalen Rose of The Fab Five makes more sense than J Will about the Zion situation...(as did Mike DeCourcy).
    Care to elaborate for those who are not as fortunate to have seen this segment?

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I can’t remember his exact words, but Jalen (who IMO usually is very anti-Duke in his comments) said he thought Zion would/should return to play for Duke.

Jalen said that Zion came to Duke to play and to win championships.

Same with Decoursey.

Doug Gottlieb said the same.

JWill said hang it up.

Demarcus Cousins said that the NCAA is corrupt. Said Zion should do whatever he wants.

Yeah it's on the main page at espn.com near the top...and on my browser it doesn't have it's own url.

Jalen has a good take, and Stephen A. has a good take, explaining why Zion should play at Duke when he can. Both videos are right near the top.

In short, Jalen's take was that Zion will get better coaching at Duke than he will an NBA lottery team, and that his injury was a non contact injury, the very thing that could happen in solo drills. He also said that he's going number 1 in the draft regardless, so that money is already slotted at what it will be...and is going to get an amazing shoe deal.

Both his take and Stephen A's are less than two minutes and worth the listen. Also worth it is Mike DeCourcy's column today, on why Zion should play again for Duke.

Same with Decoursey.

JWill said hang it up.

Demarcus Cousins said that the NCAA is corrupt. Said Zion should do whatever he wants.
    Jay bilas said he knew this would happen all along, which was his excuse for picking UNC, and that this is definitely the NCAA's fault.
    April 1

Same with Decoursey.

JWill said hang it up.

DeCourcy also does a good job of breaking down how good Duke is for Zion...as well as how Zion is good for Duke. And both are certainly true. He also said, correctly, that coming out of high school Zion was no higher than 7th pick in the NBA...that his Duke performance is why he is number one...so he'll make a TON more money in the first four years even starting a year later. Then there's the endorsement deals he'll have with all the Duke exposure.

Like DeCourcy said, Duke has been worth millions to Zion. Much more so than direct to the pros, or at say, Clemson. He also said Duke hasn't had a hard time selling tickets in four decades. IOW...Duke Zion is huge win win for both, but Duke was big first.