Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    For those surmising that Zion gets ACC POY but not the Rookie of the Year, there have been only 2 freshmen in the history of the POY award, and they both also won Rookie of the Year.

Their names were Jahlil Okafor and Marvin Bagley III.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He's going to run away with the ACC POY award.
    I wish I could believe that. I mean Shane Battier was NPOY in 2001 but somehow was co-ACCPOY with a cheater in 2001. Ever since then, I know that a cheater will be given more votes than they deserve. Zion has a better chance of being NPOY than he does ACCPOY.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I wish I could believe that. I mean Shane Battier was NPOY in 2001 but somehow was co-ACCPOY with a cheater in 2001. Ever since then, I know that a cheater will be given more votes than they deserve. Zion has a better chance of being NPOY than he does ACCPOY.
    The current gap between Zion and the next-closest player in ACC performance to date (Hunter? Blackshear? Guy? Barrett? Johnson?) is way larger than that between Battier and Forte was. If voting ending today, it would not be close.

Jwill - NPOY 2001-2002, ACC POY Juan Dixon

Johnny D - 1985-86 Naismith, ACC POy Len Bias

Can't imagine the ACC POY going to anyone else besides Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Jwill - NPOY 2001-2002, ACC POY Juan Dixon

Can't imagine the ACC POY going to anyone else besides Zion.
    you're imagination is quite limited if you can't imagine the depravity of UNC media shills who would vote for anyone but a dukie.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you're imagination is quite limited if you can't imagine the depravity of UNC media shills who would vote for anyone but a dukie.
    Shame on you. All caps vs no caps?

Otherwise, point well taken.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

This is the point. Sure, logically Zion should be the run away ACCPOY if things continue the way they are now. But in reality, Maye is probably the leader right now.

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    The current gap between Zion and the next-closest player in ACC performance to date (Hunter? Blackshear? Guy? Barrett? Johnson?) is way larger than that between Battier and Forte was. If voting ending today, it would not be close.
    Not true. According to sports-reference.com Battier had 10.1 winshares in 2001, Joe Forte had 4.8.
    This year, Zion has 6.7 so far, Hunter has 5.2.

That's not to say that I don't think Zion will win it. But just to point out what a travesty it was for Forte to share that award, the gap between him and Battier was a chasm. There were probably at least 5 players in the ACC better than Forte that year. (JWill and Juan Dixon for sure).

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    IMO, Len Bias was the ACC POY and one of the ten best to play in the ACC. That was a loaded ACC class and, IIRC, the top 3 NBA picks played in the ACC.

This is the point. Sure, logically Zion should be the run away ACCPOY if things continue the way they are now. But in reality, Maye is probably the leader right now.
    Come on. Literally *last year* a Duke player substantially inferior to Zion, who missed nearly a quarter of the season due to injury, beat Maye 37-5 in voting. If voting happened today, Zion would win POY by a huge margin, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not true. According to sports-reference.com Battier had 10.1 winshares in 2001, Joe Forte had 4.8.
    This year, Zion has 6.7 so far, Hunter has 5.2.

That's not to say that I don't think Zion will win it. But just to point out what a travesty it was for Forte to share that award, the gap between him and Battier was a chasm. There were probably at least 5 players in the ACC better than Forte that year. (JWill and Juan Dixon for sure).
    Sports-reference is a great site, but those stats cover the whole year so aren't really great for this comparison. I have ACC-specific stats which I can try to dig up tonight, but bottom-line is, if you look at "advanced," pace-adjusted stats within ACC games from 1997-on (as far back as I can go), the only season even remotely comparable to Zion's season so far was Duncan's senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    Come on. Literally *last year* a Duke player substantially inferior to Zion, who missed nearly a quarter of the season due to injury, beat Maye 37-5 in voting. If voting happened today, Zion would win POY by a huge margin, beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    we're being facetious...
    April 1

I don't think my imagination is that limited.

Still, I did look through the last 18 years of ACC POY

Every winner was ranked either #1 or #2 in scoring, except

Malcolm Brogdon - #3
    Tyler Zeller - #5
    Justin Jackson - #7
    Ty Lawson - #12

hmmmm...
    Last edited by JayZee; 02-19-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added smiley

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, Len Bias was the ACC POY and one of the ten best to play in the ACC. That was a loaded ACC class and, IIRC, the top 3 NBA picks played in the ACC.
    And after Bias' death, Johnny D called him something along the lines of the best player he ever played with/against in college...Bias was a bad I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this...a Rodney Rogers but even better (and Rodney was PDGood)

EDIT: ....was a real badazz

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Agreed on Len. Just put that in for completeness as we were discussing winning NPOY while losing ACC POY which happened in 1986...

It's different voting now, but IIRC (maybe once!) it was a poll of Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association back then. There are a couple of writers who rue failing to cast their ballots, which would have broken Shane's tie with Joe Forte.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It's different voting now, but IIRC (maybe once!) it was a poll of Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association back then. There are a couple of writers who rue failing to cast their ballots, which would have broken Shane's tie with Joe Forte.
    ...Giving Joe Forte the award all to himself, right?

(ducks)

I fully admit that I haven't seen much of unc basketball so far this season. But I cannot imagine that anyone in college basketball is ahead of Zion for anything right now...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I fully admit that I haven't seen much of unc basketball so far this season. But I cannot imagine that anyone in college basketball is ahead of Zion for anything right now...
    it was a joke...
    April 1

it was a joke...
    Haha... thanks. Sometimes, it's hard to tell truth from fiction...