Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364
Results 1,261 to 1,266 of 1266
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Well, there are better (clearer) lists than that, and each MLB team does have at least four Single A teams of varying levels ...
    Here's a good team-by-team listing of what each has: https://www.milb.com/about/affiliations

Technically, each team has one A-Advanced (or High A ball) team, and one A (or low A ball) affiliate team ... so, each MLB team has exactly two single A affiliates ... below A ball, MLB clubs have 3 to 5 other affiliates: short season teams, rookie league teams based at spring training sites or in the Dominican, and the like ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Here's a good team-by-team listing of what each has: https://www.milb.com/about/affiliations

Technically, each team has one A-Advanced (or High A ball) team, and one A (or low A ball) affiliate team ... so, each MLB team has exactly two single A affiliates ... below A ball, MLB clubs have 3 to 5 other affiliates: short season teams, rookie league teams based at spring training sites or in the Dominican, and the like ...
    No, not true, short season is still considered Single A...and the original point was, and still holds, that each MLB team has at least FOUR rosters to fill out...e.g. the Tigers short season team lists itself as A level...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    No, not true, short season is still considered Single A...and the original point was, and still holds, that each MLB team has at least FOUR rosters to fill out...e.g. the Tigers short season team lists itself as A level...
    I think you're seeing more disagreement on my part throughout this colloquy than is there. We're in agreement that teams have lots of affiliates. We're in agreement that teams have lots of affiliates (at least 4, actually more) below the AA level. There is a strict uniformity for five levels of pro ball: from low A to high A to AA to AAA to MLB -- 30 teams at each level for the levels above the line below. Below the line, it varies, with each club having, as best I can tell, 3 to 5 other teams total, and not every big league club has a short-season affiliate and not every big league club has an advanced rookie affiliate. Yes, I've seen short-season denoted as "A" ball. I've never seen Rookie leagues denoted as "A" ball, which I think you were doing originally in referencing "at least four single A teams" and that's really my only point of disagreement -- over nomenclature re: these lower, entry-esque levels. Rookie ball is not A ball.

MLB
    AAA
    AA
    A-advanced
    A
    -----------------
    SS
    Rookie Advanced
    Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I think you're seeing more disagreement on my part throughout this colloquy than is there. We're in agreement that teams have lots of affiliates. We're in agreement that teams have lots of affiliates (at least 4, actually more) below the AA level. There is a strict uniformity for five levels of pro ball: from low A to high A to AA to AAA to MLB -- 30 teams at each level for the levels above the line below. Below the line, it varies, with each club having, as best I can tell, 3 to 5 other teams total, and not every big league club has a short-season affiliate and not every big league club has an advanced rookie affiliate. Yes, I've seen short-season denoted as "A" ball. I've never seen Rookie leagues denoted as "A" ball, which I think you were doing originally in referencing "at least four single A teams" and that's really my only point of disagreement -- over nomenclature re: these lower, entry-esque levels. Rookie ball is not A ball.

MLB
    AAA
    AA
    A-advanced
    A
    -----------------
    SS
    Rookie Advanced
    Rookie
    Most A's I have seen since my last report card ... in the fifth grade.

One thing: I was told that the hot-shot prospects are often in AA, as the AAA rosters tend to have a bunch of older guys who have seen time in the majors.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Most A's I have seen since my last report card ... in the fifth grade.

One thing: I was told that the hot-shot prospects are often in AA, as the AAA rosters tend to have a bunch of older guys who have seen time in the majors.
    I think there's truth to the AA/hot-shot theory. I would give this post an "A" but since schools are dropping class ranks, naming valedictorians, and even the A, B, C ... grading scale, I'll give it an "ES" for exceeds standards.

This may have been linked on the off-topic board, cannot recall, re: visiting every affiliated minor league ballpark (159 of them, for 160 teams): https://deadspin.com/the-best-way-to...ino-1832499257

So, for AAA, AA, high A, low A = 120 teams. Meaning 40 combined short-season (22) and advanced rookie (18) for the 160-team total. I guess this is not counting the rookie leagues played at the spring training sites or the Dominican leagues-- those games may not even be open to the public, not sure. I've been to the Jupiter, FL stadium that is home to two teams -- went there on the 4th of July one year, actually.

Great news! As expected, Bryce Jarvis will be returning for his junior year (at least according to the site below). I'm really looking forward to watching his progression to becoming our staff ace. We also had a second HS recruit who was drafted (also by the Yankees, in the 31st round), a catcher named Chad Knight... he will not sign, so we'll see him in Durham next year.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2019/...d-agnos-greene
    T '05, SOM '10