Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the RPI link.

I am ecstatic with Pollard's job at Duke regardless of whether we make the NCAAs this year. Please don't translate wanting to play in the postseason into a disgruntled fan. My telescope is more analytical on how we get there again. You never forget how to count to 6 in football, ~20 in basketball, or ~35 in baseball.

While I love our (and NW's) RPI today, you want to avoid sub-200 losses for an at-large bid. The Big 10 is not a baseball league. If Northwestern and Penn State end up in the middle of their league, it should be more like losing 1/3 to the bottom of the ACC; a series win still looks good. If they fall far behind the rest of the Big 10 again, we probably have to win an extra ACC-level game to make up for each loss. That's a lot harder to do with this year's schedule.

Penn is off to a really bad start. Let's go for a sweep before ACC play heats up on Friday.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Penn is off to a really bad start. Let's go for a sweep before ACC play heats up on Friday.
    They are doing better now. They beat Duke yesterday in extra innings. Second game is at 4 today.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Baseball against Penn is underway. Live stats available here:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211793748
    Bob Green

Headed to T4: Duke 1, Penn 0

Kennie Taylor scored from 2nd base on a R. Maxwell single through the left side.
    Bob Green

Duke escaped the top of the fifth tied 1-1. Penn left the bases loaded Duke needs to wake up. Losing two to Penn would be disastrous.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke gets caught trying to steal 3rd with 2 out in the 6th. So dumb.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Now Duke leaves the bases loaded in the 8th.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

3-1 Penn, top 9th. Damn.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

3-1 now.
    Bob Green

Sweep.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

It is certainly disappointing to lose two games to Penn but it is time to regroup as ACC play commences this weekend. Duke heads to Charlottesville for a three game series with Virginia. It is important to get off to a strong start in conference play.
    Bob Green

That wasn't the sweep I had in mind. Penn is now 2-3 on the year. UVA is 7-5, but 3 of those were high quality losses from a tournament in Arizona.

Really bad set of losses to the Quakers. The team can instantly turn that around with a series win this weekend though. Time to nut up or shut up.

Today's ACC opener against Virginia has been pushed back to a 6:30 start time.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Today's ACC opener against Virginia has been pushed back to a 6:30 start time.
    Now postponed until tomorrow at 1:00, they will play a doubleheader on Sunday.

The game was snowed out. It will be 72 by Sunday, but I'm not sure they can complete a DH on Sunday by the time travel rules kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The game was snowed out. It will be 72 by Sunday, but I'm not sure they can complete a DH on Sunday by the time travel rules kick in.
    Well, daylight savings time starts Sunday morning, so they should be fine, and besides, the ballpark has lights!

I don't think they’ll have to time travel to finish the games. Or are you saying there are travel rules associated with time involved? LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

You never should feed a Mogwai after or post around midnight.

I am not sure of the exact detail of the travel rule, but you have to finish by a certain time on Sunday regardless. Coupled with timely lightning, it helped Sean McNally avoid a controversial loss against Clemson. It also applies to a Duke-UNC game with refs from Raleigh. Win early and often is the answer.

Thanks for the DST notice. I would have forgotten to change my clocks tonight. I just hope they don't get cleaned before the end of the day.

perhaps the best day I ever had in a major league ballpark (and I've had many) was a twinight doubleheader between Montreal and Chicago decades ago in Montreal.

First game went 18 innings...there was much huddling by the umps and teams vis a vis local rules, turned out they could start the second game as long as it commenced before midnight...it began at 11:45...

Expos scored something like 18 runs in the second game, saw every Cub pitcher twice I think, game ended well after 3 a.m., was light out when we got home.

Went thru I think three different beer buzz cycles...have several, give it a rest, have several more, give it a rest, etc.

Today's game is available on Watch ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=...2-791649f7b187
    Bob Green