Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Annual freshman scoring & rebounding Duke/ACC record chasing list

Wanted to share this with everyone based on the season that some of the freshman on the team are having, in terms of scoring and rebounding.

Trying not to jinx anything, but if all goes well and the scoring average of RJ & Zion stays were they're are, or goes up some, there is a good possability that both of them not only breaks the Duke freshman scoring record, but possibly the ACC record as well.

As far as the rebounding list, Zion has a shot too break the Duke record, but it may be close depending on how long the season goes.

*Note - I've been doing these lists for the past 4-5 years now, and as far as the Duke records for scoring & rebounding, I believe that the #'s shown are correct. I also believe that the #'s shown on the ACC scoring list are correct as well. However, I may need a little help here from other viewers/posters of this forum, to bring to my attention any non-Duke freshman in the ACC over the past 5 years, that I may have left off of the ACC scoring list. Any and all help is welcomed.

1. Marvin Bagley – 694
    2. Jabari Parker – 670
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 657
    4. Brandon Ingram – 624
    5. Gene Banks – 581
    6. Luol Deng – 558
    7. RJ Barrett - 544
    8. Gary Trent Jr. – 536
    9. Zion Williamson - 529
    10. Austin Rivers – 527
    11. Johnny Dawkins – 506
    12. Wendell Carter Jr. – 501
    13. JJ Redick – 495
    T14. Jason Williams – 492
    T14. Justice Winslow – 492
    16. Jayson Tatum – 488
    17. Tyus Jones – 461
    18. Kyler Singler – 451
    19. Luke Kennard - 425

ACC Points:
    1. 721 – Kenny Anderson, GT
    2. 694 – Marvin Bagley, DUKE Highlighting Bagley to show where the current freshman Duke leader in points, ranks on the ACC list.
    3. 680 – Stephon Marbury, GT
    4. 670 – Jabari Parker, DUKE
    5. 657 – Jahlil Okafor, DUKE
    6. 624 – Brandon Ingram, DUKE
    7. 607 – Dion Glover, GT
    8. 594 – Rashad McCants, UNC
    9. 587 – Tyler Hansbrough, UNC
    10. 582 – Joe Smith, Maryland

As of 2/13/19 after Louisville game
    Cam Reddish – 322
    Tre Jones - 188

Rebounds: (Duke)
    1. Marvin Bagley – 367
    2. Wendell Carter Jr. – 338
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 332
    4. Jabari Parker – 306
    5. Gene Banks – 292
    6. Mike Gminski – 289
    7. Luol Deng – 255
    8. Justice Winslow – 252
    9. Brandon Ingram – 244
    10. Zion Williamson - 223
    11. Shane Battier – 230

RJ Barrett - 173
    Cam Reddish – 76
    Tre Jones - 78

Quote Originally Posted by ksimp112 View Post
    Wanted to share this with everyone based on the season that some of the freshman on the team are having, in terms of scoring and rebounding.

Trying not to jinx anything, but if all goes well and the scoring average of RJ & Zion stays were they're are, or goes up some, there is a good possability that both of them not only breaks the Duke freshman scoring record, but possibly the ACC record as well.

As far as the rebounding list, Zion has a shot too break the Duke record, but it may be close depending on how long the season goes.

*Note - I've been doing these lists for the past 4-5 years now, and as far as the Duke records for scoring & rebounding, I believe that the #'s shown are correct. I also believe that the #'s shown on the ACC scoring list are correct as well. However, I may need a little help here from other viewers/posters of this forum, to bring to my attention any non-Duke freshman in the ACC over the past 5 years, that I may have left off of the ACC scoring list. Any and all help is welcomed.

1. Marvin Bagley – 694
    2. Jabari Parker – 670
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 657
    4. Brandon Ingram – 624
    5. Gene Banks – 581
    6. Luol Deng – 558
    7. RJ Barrett - 544
    8. Gary Trent Jr. – 536
    9. Zion Williamson - 529
    10. Austin Rivers – 527
    11. Johnny Dawkins – 506
    13. JJ Redick – 495
    16. Jayson Tatum – 488
    17. Tyus Jones – 461
    18. Kyler Singler – 451
    19. Luke Kennard - 425

ACC Points:
    2. 694 – Marvin Bagley, DUKE Highlighting Bagley to show where the current freshman Duke leader in points, ranks on the ACC list.
    7. 607 – Dion Glover, GT

Cam Reddish – 322
    Tre Jones - 188

1. Marvin Bagley – 367
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 332
    4. Jabari Parker – 306
    5. Gene Banks – 292
    6. Mike Gminski – 289
    7. Luol Deng – 255
    8. Justice Winslow – 252
    9. Brandon Ingram – 244
    11. Shane Battier – 230

RJ Barrett - 173
    Cam Reddish – 76
    Tre Jones - 78
    Thanks - this is great. I really enjoy seeing these. I think Zion should be below Shane on the rebounding list (though they will probably flip back soon). Also, could you add the freshman assist ranking - I'm guessing Tre is quickly moving up that list.

1. Marvin Bagley – 367

That team shouldn't have lost how it did. It didn't do those guys justice (no pun intended).

Obviously given that 99/04 don't eat me up, I think that one will go down as the most painful loss...not just the loss, but the fact we could have had it...and that it ended grayson's career.
    April 1

1. Marvin Bagley – 694
    2. Jabari Parker – 670
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 657
    4. Brandon Ingram – 624
    5. Gene Banks – 581
    6. Luol Deng – 558
    7. RJ Barrett - 544
    8. Gary Trent Jr. – 536
    9. Zion Williamson - 529
    10. Austin Rivers – 527
    11. Johnny Dawkins – 506
    13. JJ Redick – 495
    16. Jayson Tatum – 488
    17. Tyus Jones – 461
    18. Kyler Singler – 451
    19. Luke Kennard - 425

ACC Points:
    7. 607 – Dion Glover, GT

Cam Reddish – 322
    Tre Jones - 188

1. Marvin Bagley – 367
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 332
    4. Jabari Parker – 306
    5. Gene Banks – 292
    6. Mike Gminski – 289
    7. Luol Deng – 255
    8. Justice Winslow – 252
    9. Brandon Ingram – 244
    11. Shane Battier – 230

RJ Barrett - 173
    Cam Reddish – 76
    Tre Jones - 78
    This is great, thank you for compiling!

Curious: where do Bagley and the other Duke leaders rank on the ACC freshmen rebounding list?

Thanks for putting this together! It's exciting to see where these players end up. Any chance you can add the assist totals for Tre?

1. Marvin Bagley – 367
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 332
    4. Jabari Parker – 306
    5. Gene Banks – 292
    6. Mike Gminski – 289
    7. Luol Deng – 255
    8. Justice Winslow – 252
    9. Brandon Ingram – 244
    11. Shane Battier – 230
    The OP did a great job with this, so I'm not complaining. But I did a double take on Battier's freshman rebounding. Did he really get that many? Kind of hard to believe. I checked here, and the numbers do match. But did Battier really lead the team in rebounding as a freshman??? I remember Brand got injured, so it's understandable that he has less. But Carrawell and McLeod having less boards as starters than Battier did as a freshman reserve... really? Is my memory just getting old?

For the record, loved Battier. If I had had a son, his name was going to be Shane.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    1. Marvin Bagley – 367

That team shouldn't have lost how it did. It didn't do those guys justice (no pun intended).

Obviously given that 99/04 don't eat me up, I think that one will go down as the most painful loss...not just the loss, but the fact we could have had it...and that it ended grayson's career.

We had some inexplicable losses that season. Duval was not a championship level point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    We had some inexplicable losses that season. Duval was not a championship level point guard.
    We have only had 3 real championship pure point guards - Hurley, Williams, and Jones. Not sure why people still crap on Duval for not being at that level as a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by fraggler View Post
    We have only had 3 real championship pure point guards - Hurley, Williams, and Jones. Not sure why people still crap on Duval for not being at that level as a freshman.
    Duhon was champ level. Not his fault we lost in the 04 FF. But your bottom line point stands.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Duhon was champ level. Not his fault we lost in the 04 FF. But your bottom line point stands.
    scheyer was a traditional point but absolutely succeeded at point as well. there are many ways to play point, and unfortunately duvall wasn't good enough last year relative to the rest of the talent on the floor

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Agree to disagree. Outside of his 3 point shot Duval was really good. For example he had the same assists per game, better assist rate, and a better fg % than Tyus Jones did. He was a good traditional point but that team had defensive issues and lane clogging.

**** I wanna clarify that I don't actually think Duval was a better point over Tyus but rather Duval gets unfairly blamed for the struggles of losing in that season.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

1. Marvin Bagley – 367
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 332
    4. Jabari Parker – 306
    5. Gene Banks – 292
    6. Mike Gminski – 289
    7. Luol Deng – 255
    8. Justice Winslow – 252
    9. Brandon Ingram – 244
    11. Shane Battier – 230
    Are we sure we can bump Zion ahead of Shane already? Look very closely at the numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    The OP did a great job with this, so I'm not complaining. But I did a double take on Battier's freshman rebounding. Did he really get that many? Kind of hard to believe. I checked here, and the numbers do match. But did Battier really lead the team in rebounding as a freshman??? I remember Brand got injured, so it's understandable that he has less. But Carrawell and McLeod having less boards as starters than Battier did as a freshman reserve... really? Is my memory just getting old?

For the record, loved Battier. If I had had a son, his name was going to be Shane.

9F
    Battier started 20 games in 1997-98, while Carrawell started 12 games.

While McLeod started 30 games, he logged only 852 minutes to Shane's 887. By the end of the season, all three players were in the rotation, with Shane logging the most game minutes, and of course, the most rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Agree to disagree. Outside of his 3 point shot Duval was really good. For example he had the same assists per game, better assist rate, and a better fg % than Tyus Jones did. He was a good traditional point but that team had defensive issues and lane clogging.

**** I wanna clarify that I don't actually think Duval was a better point over Tyus but rather Duval gets unfairly blamed for the struggles of losing in that season.
    Two comments:

1) TORate was ~50% higher than Tyus'. his ATO was 1.28 vs 1.58 for tyus. He had a penchant for racking up gaudy assist numbers vs mediocre teams, and though I subjectively believe he was less consistent in that department, I'd have to actually run the numbers to check
    -12-1 vs utah valley
    -11-2 vs st francis PA
    -7-1 vs RI
    -8-1 vs evansville
    -8-1 vs NCSU

So given the substantially increased turnovers, I'm not sure directly comparing assists tells you much.

2) It's not just his 3 point shot, but his FT shooting as well. shooting 59% from the line
    3) Tyus' FT rate was 100% higher than Duval's
    4) K had to reinvent the defense to put Grayson at the top because Duval either couldn't lead well enough or couldn't play defense well enough to play that role
    5) Duval had attitude problems...he was benched thrice, and I recall there were other games when he was sat down. While there might have been questions about this during the year, his later tweets make it clear that he wasn't the kind of leader we needed.

When looked at in that light, the only thing he did "really good" was shoot from 2. There's a reason Tyus played 573 minutes as a rookie, and Duval played 6...because aside from one or two numbers taken out of context, they really aren't comparable.

IMO his shortcomings were some of the most glaring on the team, but you're right, there are other things, namely our inability to keep teams off the offensive glass.
    Last edited by uh_no; 02-15-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Battier started 20 games in 1997-98, while Carrawell started 12 games.

While McLeod started 30 games, he logged only 852 minutes to Shane's 887. By the end of the season, all three players were in the rotation, with Shane logging the most game minutes, and of course, the most rebounds.
    Like I said, my memory may be foggy here. Where did you get that data? The site I linked to didn't have the complete picture.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Two comments:

1) TORate was ~50% higher than Tyus'. his ATO was 1.28 vs 1.58 for tyus. He had a penchant for racking up gaudy assist numbers vs mediocre teams, and though I subjectively believe he was less consistent in that department, I'd have to actually run the numbers to check
    -12-1 vs utah valley
    -11-2 vs st francis PA
    -7-1 vs RI
    -8-1 vs evansville
    -8-1 vs NCSU

So given the substantially increased turnovers, I'm not sure directly comparing assists tells you much.

2) It's not just his 3 point shot, but his FT shooting as well. shooting 59% from the line
    3) Tyus' FT rate was 100% higher than Duval's
    4) K had to reinvent the defense to put Grayson at the top because Duval either couldn't lead well enough or couldn't play defense well enough to play that role
    5) Duval had attitude problems...he was benched thrice, and I recall there were other games when he was sat down. While there might have been questions about this during the year, his later tweets make it clear that he wasn't the kind of leader we needed.

When looked at in that light, the only thing he did "really good" was shoot from 2. There's a reason Tyus played 573 minutes as a rookie, and Duval played 6...because aside from one or two numbers taken out of context, they really aren't comparable.

IMO his shortcomings were some of the most glaring on the team, but you're right, there are other things, namely our inability to keep teams off the offensive glass.
    Just wanted to note that Tre Jones already has more rebounds than Duval did all of last season, and has 17 more steals than he does turnovers on the season (Duval was -48). Jones also commits 1.7 fouls per 40 minutes, compared to Duval's 3.4 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Like I said, my memory may be foggy here. Where did you get that data? The site I linked to didn't have the complete picture.

9F
    This is a good place to start.

Ok, made the switch on the rebounding list to put Zion in the correct order underneath Battier for now.

I also attempted to come up with a top 25 freshman assist list, based on info from the Duke website, as well as thinking of players off of the top of my head, that have played at Duke during the Coach K area, that might be deserving of this list. So my attempt of a list is below, please feel free to add anyone that I may have missed, especially someone that's higher than Tre Jones.

*Note - I put Seth Curry on the list even though he wasn't a freshman his first year at Duke, but I counted it as though he was. Also, it would've been interesting to see how high Kyrie Irving would have finished on this list had he not been hurt a good portion of his only season at Duke.

1. Marvin Bagley – 694
    2. Jabari Parker – 670
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 657
    4. Brandon Ingram – 624
    5. Gene Banks – 581
    6. Luol Deng – 558
    7. RJ Barrett - 544
    8. Gary Trent Jr. – 536
    9. Zion Williamson - 529
    10. Austin Rivers – 527
    11. Johnny Dawkins – 506
    13. JJ Redick – 495
    14. Jason Williams – 492
    15. Justice Winslow – 492
    16. Jayson Tatum – 488
    17. Tyus Jones – 461
    18. Kyler Singler – 451
    19. Luke Kennard - 425

ACC Points:
    2. 694 – Marvin Bagley, DUKE
    7. 607 – Dion Glover, GT

1. Marvin Bagley – 367
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 332
    4. Jabari Parker – 306
    5. Gene Banks – 292
    6. Mike Gminski – 289
    7. Luol Deng – 255
    8. Justice Winslow – 252
    9. Brandon Ingram – 244
    10. Shane Battier – 230
    11. Zion Williamson - 223

Assists: (Duke)
    1. Bobby Hurley – 288
    2. Jason Williams – 220
    3. Tyus Jones – 217
    4. Trevon Duval – 207
    5. Greg Paulus – 187
    6. Chris Duhon – 174
    7. Johnny Dawkins – 134
    8. Tre Jones – 117
    9. Jeff Capel – 108
    10. Derryck Thorton – 93
    11. Wojo – 81
    12. Grant Hill – 79
    13. Seth Curry - 74
    14. Austin Rivers – 71
    15. JJ Redick – 67
    T16. Frank Jackson – 61
    T16. Jon Scheyer -61
    18. Kyler Singler – 48
    19. Kyrie Irving – 47
    20. Nolan Smith – 45
    21. Quinn Snyder – 41
    22. Chris Collins – 34
    23. Tyler Thorton – 33

Ok, made the switch on the rebounding list to put Zion in the correct order underneath Battier for now.

I also attempted to come up with a top 25 freshman assist list, based on info from the Duke website, as well as thinking of players off of the top of my head, that have played at Duke during the Coach K area, that might be deserving of this list. So my attempt of a list is below, please feel free to add anyone that I may have missed, especially someone that's higher than Tre Jones.

*Note - I put Seth Curry on the list even though he wasn't a freshman his first year at Duke, but I counted it as though he was. Also, it would've been interesting to see how high Kyrie Irving would have finished on this list had he not been hurt a good portion of his only season at Duke.

1. Marvin Bagley – 694
    2. Jabari Parker – 670
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 657
    4. Brandon Ingram – 624
    5. Gene Banks – 581
    6. Luol Deng – 558
    7. RJ Barrett - 544
    8. Gary Trent Jr. – 536
    9. Zion Williamson - 529
    10. Austin Rivers – 527
    11. Johnny Dawkins – 506
    13. JJ Redick – 495
    14. Jason Williams – 492
    15. Justice Winslow – 492
    16. Jayson Tatum – 488
    17. Tyus Jones – 461
    18. Kyler Singler – 451
    19. Luke Kennard - 425

ACC Points:
    2. 694 – Marvin Bagley, DUKE
    7. 607 – Dion Glover, GT

1. Marvin Bagley – 367
    3. Jahlil Okafor – 332
    4. Jabari Parker – 306
    5. Gene Banks – 292
    6. Mike Gminski – 289
    7. Luol Deng – 255
    8. Justice Winslow – 252
    9. Brandon Ingram – 244
    10. Shane Battier – 230
    11. Zion Williamson - 223

1. Bobby Hurley – 288
    2. Jason Williams – 220
    3. Tyus Jones – 217
    4. Trevon Duval – 207
    5. Greg Paulus – 187
    6. Chris Duhon – 174
    7. Johnny Dawkins – 134
    8. Tre Jones – 117
    9. Jeff Capel – 108
    10. Derryck Thorton – 93
    11. Wojo – 81
    12. Grant Hill – 79
    13. Seth Curry - 74
    14. Austin Rivers – 71
    15. JJ Redick – 67
    T16. Frank Jackson – 61
    T16. Jon Scheyer -61
    18. Kyler Singler – 48
    19. Kyrie Irving – 47
    20. Nolan Smith – 45
    21. Quinn Snyder – 41
    22. Chris Collins – 34
    23. Tyler Thorton – 33
    ASSISTS:

Tommy Amaker, 163 assists in 1983-84.

Also, RJ Barrett, 89 and counting; Will Avery, 87; Justise Winslow, 82; Wendell Carter, 74; Brandon Ingram, 72; Rasheed Sulaimon, 68; Luol Deng, 68; Quinn Cook, 63; Jayson Tatum, 62; Danny Ferry, 60;

Also Also, Corey Maggette, 59; Zion Williamson, 56 and counting; Luke Kennard, 55; Josh McRoberts, 53; Gary Trent, 52; Marvin Bagley, 50; Mike Dunleavy, 50; Cam Reddish, 49 and counting; Jahlil Okafor, 49; Daniel Ewing, 47; Christian Laettner, 44; Jabari Parker, 41; Carlos Boozer, 37; Gerald Henderson, 35; Bill McCaffrey, 34; Chris Carrawell, 34;

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...A&order_by=ast

This will give you a regularly updated assist list, although it only has seasons from 1993 onward.

Also:
    Points: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...A&order_by=pts
    Points (ACC): https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...A&order_by=pts
    Rebounds: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...A&order_by=trb

1. Bobby Hurley – 288
    2. Jason Williams – 220
    3. Tyus Jones – 217
    4. Trevon Duval – 207
    5. Greg Paulus – 187
    6. Chris Duhon – 174
    7. Tommy Amaker - 163
    8. Johnny Dawkins – 134
    9. Tre Jones – 124 and counting
    10. Jeff Capel – 108
    11. RJ Barrett - 99 and counting
    12. Derryck Thorton – 93
    13. Will Avery - 87
    14. Justise Winslow - 82
    15. Wojo – 81
    16. Grant Hill – 79
    T17. Seth Curry - 74
    T17. Wendell Carter - 74
    19. Brandon Ingram - 72
    20. Austin Rivers – 71
    T21. Rasheed Sulaimon - 68
    T21. Luol Deng - 68
    23. JJ Redick – 67
    24. Quinn Cook - 63
    25. Jayson Tatum - 62
    T26. Frank Jackson – 61
    T26. Jon Scheyer -61
    28. Danny Ferry - 60
    29. Corey Maggette - 59
    30. Zion Williamson - 57 and counting
    31. Luke Kennard - 55
    T32. Cam Reddish - 53 and counting
    T32. Josh McRoberts - 53
    34. Gary Trent - 52
    T35. Marvin Bagley - 50
    T35. Mike Dunleavy - 50
    Corrected and updated (though it's possible we're still missing some).

It looks very likely that the 2019 team will ultimately have two of the top 10 on the freshman assist list, and four of the top 25 (probably top 20; maybe top 15).