Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We'll never know. Scientifically, you would want to play out the NCSU game a thousand times. For some of those thousand times, we on DBR talk about Duke vs UNC beforehand, and for others, we don't. Then compare the results. Unfortunately, we'll only get this one data point tomorrow.
    We are all part of a collective energy, a force if you will. All thoughts and actions can tilt the balance of reality itself. So wear your lucky shirt, pants, socks, shoes, slippers, etc. Change the position of your recliner or move to another part of the room when you deem it necessary so that guy will miss (or make) the front end of that one and one. It all matters. Oh it most assuredly matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    We are all part of a collective energy, a force if you will. All thoughts and actions can tilt the balance of reality itself. So wear your lucky shirt, pants, socks, shoes, slippers, etc. Change the position of your recliner or move to another part of the room when you deem it necessary so that guy will miss (or make) the front end of that one and one. It all matters. Oh it most assuredly matters.
    I generally agree with you, but have always wondered how this all works when you DVR the game and watch it after it's finished, but before you know the final score. I'm pretty sure that my singular behavior has sufficiently shifted the balance of the cosmos such that I've changed the course of some games after they've been completed.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I like this article. I hope there are more like it.

Not that I agree (I don't), but I never want a Duke team ever approaching overconfidence. Stay hungry, don't believe the hype, strike back at the haters, never think anything is your birthright. I just hope the team doesn't start focusing to prove articles like this wrong before focusing on State this weekend.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I generally agree with you, but have always wondered how this all works when you DVR the game and watch it after it's finished, but before you know the final score. I'm pretty sure that my singular behavior has sufficiently shifted the balance of the cosmos such that I've changed the course of some games after they've been completed.
    I sometimes wonder if I'm responsible for slow starts in games.

My habit is to DVR and not start watching until the game nears halftime. I'll then watch "efficiently" from the beginning, skipping commercials and halftime talk so that I'm catching up and generally am watching in real time late in the second half. That correlates well with the slow start, fast finish tendency of this team.

Unless it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We'll never know. Scientifically, you would want to play out the NCSU game a thousand times. For some of those thousand times, we on DBR talk about Duke vs UNC beforehand, and for others, we don't. Then compare the results. Unfortunately, we'll only get this one data point tomorrow.
    I guess you missed the quantum physics discussion and the impact of observation on an event. Although we didn't touch on the impact of advance discussion or non-discussion, jinx and no jinx in the world of quantum physics.

All that is to say, I wouldn't discount the impact of any hijinx on the outcome of any game we are not an active party to.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I sometimes wonder if I'm responsible for slow starts in games.

My habit is to DVR and not start watching until the game nears halftime. I'll then watch "efficiently" from the beginning, skipping commercials and halftime talk so that I'm catching up and generally am watching in real time late in the second half. That correlates well with the slow start, fast finish tendency of this team.

Unless it doesn't.
    Multiply that by my viewing habits and it squares the force.

I haven't decided on the in-game chat. I feel it's important to constantly remind people that "we got this" when the chat gets negative. The problem is, will my positivity upon the chat room provide enough to alter the balance, or will the incessant negativity serve to undermine my enjoyment of the game and positive Duke vibes put out into the universe.

I have erred on the side of pretty much avoiding the chat room. It can really be a buzz kill. I also avoid even looking at the ingame thread once the game has started, and I NEVER go back and look after the fact.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I know enough to know when I was wrong. I was wrong here. Most of us were. Bravo, Emily Caron. I hope the people over at SI give you a bonus for this one, although it came with the major caveat of an exploding shoe.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I know enough to know when I was wrong. I was wrong here. Most of us were. Bravo, Emily Caron. I hope the people over at SI give you a bonus for this one, although it came with the major caveat of an exploding shoe.
    Eh, no. Unless she knew Duke would lose Zion, it wasn’t a great prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    There's only one logical explanation for this. She must have sabotaged his shoe.

This was basically like saying in March 1912 that the Titanic and Lusitania would be obsolete by 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    There's only one logical explanation for this. She must have sabotaged his shoe.
    She couldn't have known that it would've caused an injury that kept him out of both games, though.

The timespan -- missing exactly UNC I to UNC II, then returning -- and the absurd nature of the shoe blowup suggest something supernatural was going on.

Perhaps Duke fans across the internet shouldn't have generated negative mojo by giving her crap for what obviously was a throwaway blurb in a throwaway column forced upon the writers by editorial.

Or perhaps, as has been suggested elsewhere, Roy made a pact with a demon (sealed with a kiss) or maybe Satan itself.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    yeah...i think i said up thread that just because someone's conclusion ultimately was correct does not mean their logic was sound.
    April 1