Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rumor has it even Patrick Davidson was impressed with Goldwire last night.

My hope is that it gives Goldwire confidence moving forward. I really hope that by the time he's a senior, he can play a kind of Quinn Cook role as the starting PG, or at least the primary backup with significant minutes (perhaps like Tyler Thornton). I've been rooting for him since he got here. His shot will come, and in truth Duke does not need it right now.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

When I hear people talk about Jordan's weaknesses I feel like it's Tyler Thornton 2.0. I've said all along Jordan was going to surprise some people. I know he surprised a lot last night, but I don't think that's all he's got.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    When I hear people talk about Jordan's weaknesses I feel like it's Tyler Thornton 2.0. I've said all along Jordan was going to surprise some people. I know he surprised a lot last night, but I don't think that's all he's got.
    As has been said elsewhere, I don’t see this at all. The two players have very different strengths and weaknesses. Thornton has the b-ball IQ and toughness but lacked the athleticism (quickness/explosiveness) to play PG at the major conference level. But he was a terrific spot up 3pt shooter. Goldwire has plenty of quickness/athleticism but just doesn’t have the skill level. And he can’t shoot a lick.

They really have very few similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    My hope is that it gives Goldwire confidence moving forward. I really hope that by the time he's a senior, he can play a kind of Quinn Cook role as the starting PG, or at least the primary backup with significant minutes (perhaps like Tyler Thornton). I've been rooting for him since he got here. His shot will come, and in truth Duke does not need it right now.

9F
    Apologies to Jordan, but I feel like this is a huge disservice to Quinn Cook . . . that dude was one of the best shooters we've had in the last decade at Duke. 37.5% for his career, and a scorching 39.5% on 6.6 attempts a game his senior year in 2015. He was really our starting 2 guard that year. We all know Tyus Jones ran the offense when he was in the game. Jordan has a few skills, but shooting is not one of them.

Look, he was magnificent in that game last night. He came in and showed these NBA lottery picks what Duke basketball is all about. I like him, he's a good defender, and he's not afraid to get on the floor and scrap for loose balls. He's a nice backup option. But if he's our starting point guard at any point in his career, we're in major trouble . . .
    Last edited by kAzE; 02-13-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Apologies to Jordan, but I feel like this is a huge disservice to Quinn Cook . . . that dude was one of the best shooters we've had in the last decade at Duke. 37.5% for his career, and a scorching 39.5% on 6.6 attempts a game his senior year in 2015. He was really our starting 2 guard that year. We all know Tyus Jones ran the offense when he was in the game. Jordan has a few skills, but shooting is not one of them.

Look, he was magnificent in that game last night. He came in and showed these NBA lottery picks what Duke basketball is all about. I like him, he's a good defender, and he's not afraid to get on the floor and scrap for loose balls. He's a nice backup option. But if he's our starting point guard at any point in his career, we're in major trouble . . .
    I agreed with you with everything up until your last sentence. Surrounded by appropriate talent, I think Goldwire could be a fine starting PG later in his career if he continues to develop. There are probably a number of schools where he would be starting.

JG"s Length

Both JG's hustle and his length made an incredible difference in the zone press. A slighter player wouldn't have gotten as many tips. Outstanding game for a humble, deserving kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I agreed with you with everything up until your last sentence. Surrounded by appropriate talent, I think Goldwire could be a fine starting PG later in his career if he continues to develop. There are probably a number of schools where he would be starting.
    Yes, there are schools at which he'd be starting, like Eastern Kentucky, where I believe he was headed before Duke came calling. But he wouldn't start at any top 50 program.

Jordan Goldwire is not Tyler Thornton. He is certainly not Quinn Cook. Honestly, he's not even Nate Britt. Let him be Jordan Goldwire.

He played good defense against Louisville the other day and made real contributions to an epic comeback. I have no problem reveling in that achievement and in hoping that it's not the last "moment" he'll have in his Duke career. I expect he'll give us several opportunities to celebrate him over the next 2+ seasons. But the people who say he won't/shouldn't be a starting PG at Duke are right. He's just not that kind of talent.

Unsung hero

K's comment in the presser about J. Gold sitting on the edge of his seat on the bench seeming eager to get in the game was telling. If you're on that team you have to be locked in for 40 minutes even if you're sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by mk76 View Post
    K's comment in the presser about J. Gold sitting on the edge of his seat on the bench seeming eager to get in the game was telling. If you're on that team you have to be locked in for 40 minutes even if you're sitting.
    Actually, in his abbreviated career, Taylor King got minutes early on by being a total cheerleader on the bench. There's no lesson or comparison there, just another clue to the motivation of our head coach.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Goldwire deserves a ton of credit. He was the catalyst for the amazing comeback.

I would also like to commend Coach K... he really came away with a whole new look and tool set from that game.

I liked his post-game comments about how he looked down the bench and of all the players, he mentioned that Goldwire was on the edge of the seat and looked the most ready to go in the game and make a difference.

Prior to that, I remember at the first time out at the beginning of the game, he didn't harp on making baskets or executing or anything around x's and o's. He noticed that the chemistry was off and reminded his team to "communicate with one another." I'm sure he made halftime adjustments and of course we heard he was telling them, when the had a 0.4% chance of winning while down by 23 that they were going to win (e.g., pre-UNLV Final Four Game 1991). That was some heady stuff. But even with less then 5 minutes left against Cardinals he was still coaching and getting creative -- and what does he do -- he goes deeper down the bench (not for offensive scoring per se), but taps Goldwire and puts in a small two guard back court and runs a 2-2-1 press. While most coaches would be thinking about putting in more 3 point shooting -- Coach K delivers an incredible coaching performance.

Now back to Goldwire. The biggest takeaway for me from this game is that now Duke has an entirely new and effective strategy to add. A lock-down two guard press D and it worked well! That's the great thing about February during the season. You get conference games with a variety of different teams and strategies, and you get better in some areas and you learn new capabilities. No we've seen just how great Cam can be (as a number 1 offensive option and also he played great D) -- but also -- now we have an entirely new and dynamic option for pressing and getting steals, especially when Duke is shooting poorly.

The remedy for poor shooting is, yes, shoot better, but the takeaway is that a two-guard lockdown defense can offset bad shooting, and make Duke even better. All good offense starts with great D. And Duke's defense just got more dynamic thanks to Goldwire's performance.

To get major minutes, Jordan must improve his shooting. As well as he played, had we lost the game, many posters instead of praising Jordan for his good defense would be talking about the layup brick and the almost air ball from the corner. He's just a bad shooter at this point in his career but with work maybe he can improve. Not JJ good but better than he is now. I'm rooting for him to get better because he's a great kid. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    As has been said elsewhere, I don’t see this at all. The two players have very different strengths and weaknesses. Thornton has the b-ball IQ and toughness but lacked the athleticism (quickness/explosiveness) to play PG at the major conference level. But he was a terrific spot up 3pt shooter. Goldwire has plenty of quickness/athleticism but just doesn’t have the skill level. And he can’t shoot a lick.

They really have very few similarities.
    I actually agree with you, perhaps I wasn't clear. When I say he reminds me of Tyler it's because of how the fans seem to be treating him. Many fans seemed almost miffed whenever Tyler did something good because it meant they'd have to see more of him. I never understood the sentiment towards him or toward Jordan from some fans. I could care less how many stars a kid comes in with, if K thinks he can help he probably can.

As for Jordan, I know he was going to some directional school, but didn't Jordan play some of the best head to head in aau and hold his own? I tried to find an article, but the only thing you can find now is commentary on the Louisville game.

Time to bump this.

Once an afterthought but now...

His improvement is palpable.

His confidence is soaring.

His defense is smothering.

He's giving out dimes.

He's shooting 50 percent.

And he's leading the team in minutes played in conference play.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    I actually agree with you, perhaps I wasn't clear. When I say he reminds me of Tyler it's because of how the fans seem to be treating him. Many fans seemed almost miffed whenever Tyler did something good because it meant they'd have to see more of him. I never understood the sentiment towards him or toward Jordan from some fans. I could care less how many stars a kid comes in with, if K thinks he can help he probably can.

As for Jordan, I know he was going to some directional school, but didn't Jordan play some of the best head to head in aau and hold his own? I tried to find an article, but the only thing you can find now is commentary on the Louisville game.
    Agree, and FTR, Jordan is now considerably better than Tyler ever got. I was down on Thornton, and was down on Goldwire too...I'm over it with Goldwire now. He's so much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Time to bump this.

He's giving out dimes.

All true...his confidence is really soaring...in every way imaginable. At least on offense. He was always pretty confident in his D, but that's better now too.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Time to bump this.

He's giving out dimes.

Good find, and the minutes lead in conference play is mind blowing, but deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Yes, there are schools at which he'd be starting, like Eastern Kentucky, where I believe he was headed before Duke came calling. But he wouldn't start at any top 50 program.

Jordan Goldwire is not Tyler Thornton. He is certainly not Quinn Cook. Honestly, he's not even Nate Britt. Let him be Jordan Goldwire.

He played good defense against Louisville the other day and made real contributions to an epic comeback. I have no problem reveling in that achievement and in hoping that it's not the last "moment" he'll have in his Duke career. I expect he'll give us several opportunities to celebrate him over the next 2+ seasons. But the people who say he won't/shouldn't be a starting PG at Duke are right. He's just not that kind of talent.
    We all have posts that don’t age well😀

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    It's all in the game

This may the best perimeter defensive team I’ve watched in 34 years of Duke hoops with Tre, Goldwire and either Stanley or Moore on the court. Goldwire is an absolute weapon on defense.

When were we better? Has to go back many years. Amaker, King, Strickland. Hurley, Hill, Hill. Williams, Duhon, Dunleavy.

And Goldwire just seems to be getting better and better on O. So happy we have him for another and he can tutor young Roach next year.