Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Jordan Goldwire appreciation thread

I know we're still in "post-game thread" mode, but I really believe that JG deserves his own thread given his performance last night. It's no coincidence that Jordan came into the game around the 8 minute mark, just when our unbelievable run began. When he missed his wide-open layup I could already read the "JG isn't good enough to be a Duke PG" posts coming... and then he turned in a virtuoso defensive performance. I've NEVER seen a guy impact a game so much while having such minimal impact on the box score.

No matter what happens going forward, Jordan earned his scholarship last night to be sure... and he's shown that, even if he's never going to be a starting caliber PG in a Duke uniform (a topic which has been discussed ad nauseum in the recruiting thread), he's got the heart and the grit to make an impact on the game however he finds his way onto the floor. He deserves a dedicated thread for praise and appreciation for his stellar effort last night that might get lost in the discussion considering our other stars that typically get the spotlight.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I know we're still in "post-game thread" mode, but I really believe that JG deserves his own thread given his performance last night. It's no coincidence that Jordan came into the game around the 8 minute mark, just when our unbelievable run began. When he missed his wide-open layup I could already read the "JG isn't good enough to be a Duke PG" posts coming... and then he turned in a virtuoso defensive performance. I've NEVER seen a guy impact a game so much while having such minimal impact on the box score.

No matter what happens going forward, Jordan earned his scholarship last night to be sure... and he's shown that, even if he's never going to be a starting caliber PG in a Duke uniform (a topic which has been discussed ad nauseum in the recruiting thread), he's got the heart and the grit to make an impact on the game however he finds his way onto the floor. He deserves a dedicated thread for praise and appreciation for his stellar effort last night that might get lost in the discussion considering our other stars that typically get the spotlight.
    Excellent post, and great idea for a separate thread. In a game or in a season, there are times when a player really needs to step beyond expectations and own the moment. Jordan did that last night. Major props to him for his hard work, effort, and being ready when his name was called.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

Zion singled him out in his post game interview! Goldwire cannot find his shot so far, but has not let that affect the rest of his game. A great team player for sure!!

I'm on board. Totally unexpected, and huge contribution. I kept thinking "I can't believe Goldwire is still out there!" right up until I started saying "Keep Goldwire out there!"

Not all heroes w̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶c̶a̶p̶e̶s̶ score baskets.

I don't think I've ever seen a guy have such a positive impact despite BADLY missing a 3 and a breakaway layup as his only FG attempts. But Goldwire came in and threw his body around on defense and helped give the team some energy. I think some of this was coincidental: we also switched to the full-court pressure, went smallball, and switched to the zone at the same time we went to Goldwire. So some of it was just getting quicker across the court and changing things up at just the right time. But still, Goldwire fit into that strategy very very well. He and Jones made life really difficult for Louisville just to bring the ball up the court. And their pressure allowed for the sharks (Zion, Barrett, and Reddish) to pounce as Louisville hit the panic button.

It was a great moment for Goldwire. Really happy for him. We don't win the game without the defensive strategy switch, nor do we win it without him contributing so well within that strategy. He was a bulldog out there on defense.

I've got to say...

.... what a change that was putting Goldwire in. When he missed that layup my thought was, "of course JG missed it". But he redeemed himself and the defense him and Tre played down the stretch pressuring the ball was absolutely amazing. In fact I've thought about it since last night and I really liked that lineup that ended the game. Might give up some offense putting JG in but that defense was stellar and while offense is nice, so is defense.

Great thread and a great idea to begin a thread for an unsung hero. There's been several games that I had a hard time choosing MOTM because more than one player looked to be a winner. Marques, Jack and now Goldwire have played a big role in a Duke win. I'm not saying it should be for every game, but now and then one of our role players steps up for the team and last night it was Jordan. Glad I could sporkz you. GoDuke!

It would've been easy for Goldwire to play passively after he missed those scoring opportunities, but he hung tough and was OUTSTANDING in that press. Amazing effort on his part, and a tip of the cap to Tre for being Tre and making such an effective 1-2 punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm on board. Totally unexpected, and huge contribution. I kept thinking "I can't believe Goldwire is still out there!" right up until I started saying "Keep Goldwire out there!"
    I thought it was very telling that Coach K chose to leave Goldwire in the game for Duke's final offensive possession after Duke called timeout with about 30 seconds left and the game tied. Given Jordan's well-documented shooting woes, I suspect that many coaches would have subbed Jordan out of the game at this point for a player who is more of an offensive threat.

Given that there was about a 7 second differential in the game and shot clock for Duke's final possession, perhaps Coach K wasn't so much leaving Jordan in the game for Duke's final offensive possession as he was leaving Jordan in the game for Duke's final defensive possession. Or perhaps Coach K had already decided that Duke was going to go with Tre passing to Cam, RJ, or Zion for an ISO play, so it didn't really matter who the 5th guy was on offense. I wonder if Jordan would have stayed in the game if the shot clock was off and Duke could have held the ball for the final shot of regulation.

It will be interesting to see how much Jordan plays against NC State. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Jordan ends up starting on Saturday*. At the very least, I think there is a strong chance that he ends up being the first guy off the bench on Saturday.

*To be clear, I would be completely shocked if Jordan ends up being a started for an extended stretch of games, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see him start (or be the first guy off the bench) on Saturday to "send a message".
    Last edited by House P; 02-13-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I thought it was very telling that Coach K chose to leave Goldwire in the game for Duke's final offensive possession after Duke called timeout with about 30 seconds left and the game tied. Given Jordan's well-documented shooting woes, I suspect that many coaches would have subbed Jordan out of the game at this point for a player who is more of an offensive threat.

Given that there was about a 7 second differential in the game and shot clock for Duke's final possession, perhaps Coach K wasn't so much leaving Jordan in the game for Duke's final offensive possession as he was leaving Jordan in the game for Duke's final defensive possession. Or perhaps Coach K had already decided that Duke was going to go with Tre passing to Cam, RJ, or Zion for an ISO play, so it didn't really matter who the 5th guy was on offense. I wonder if Jordan would have stayed in the game if the shot clock was off and Duke could have held the ball for the final shot of regulation.

It will be interesting to see how much Jordan plays against NC State. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Jordan ends up starting on Saturday. At the very least, I think there is a fair chance that he ends up being the first guy off the bench.
    I loved watching Jordan play and was grateful for how he impacted the game but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He is still an undersized guard with no offensive skills. He gives his all, is a great teammate and came in and did what he needed to do but if we really need to rely on him getting meaningful minutes going forward, we are in trouble. I expect K to continue to use him the way he has so far, giving Tre a few minute blow in the giving half and as a defensive energy guy who comes in when the team is really struggling and needs to be shaken up. He is not moving ahead of Jav, Jack or AOC.

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    I loved watching Jordan play and was grateful for how he impacted the game but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He is still an undersized guard with no offensive skills. He gives his all, is a great teammate and came in and did what he needed to do but if we really need to rely on him getting meaningful minutes going forward, we are in trouble. I expect K to continue to use him the way he has so far, giving Tre a few minute blow in the giving half and as a defensive energy guy who comes in when the team is really struggling and needs to be shaken up. He is not moving ahead of Jav, Jack or AOC.
    Your point is well taken. I edited my previous post to clarify that I don't expect Jordan to be a starter (or the first guy off the bench) going forward, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him enter the game much earlier than normal as a one-game-kind-of-thing based on what he earned vs Louisville. I am thinking, in particular, about how Justin Robinson had a strong game last year vs Pitt and ended up being the first sub for Duke's next game vs Wake and played 9 minutes in the next game vs Miami. Justin quickly went back to his "normal" role, but was technically the first guy off the bench for at least one game.
    Last edited by House P; 02-13-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    I agree about Jordan not starting the next game, but if Alex doesn't begin to pick up his defense, Jordan may see the court before Alex. I would like to see the team use that 2-2-1 zone press in the first half if for nothing else to get the team moving with a sense of urgency. Jordan would probably get minutes if that defense is used again. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I agree about Jordan not starting the next game, but if Alex doesn't begin to pick up his defense, Jordan may see the court before Alex. I would like to see the team use that 2-2-1 zone press in the first half if for nothing else to get the team moving with a sense of urgency. Jordan would probably get minutes if that defense is used again. GoDuke!
    Good thread. At half after the subs played poorly and I thought too tentative, I thought K may play all 5 starters 20 minutes in 2nd half. Glad I was wrong as he went small and saw something in Goldwire I’d not seen.

It’s hard enough to think about the #23 even as great as the Landlord was with out thinking about “The Tongue” that wears the wrong shade of blue. Having to also pull for the name Jordan has been very difficult for me. I almost always call Jordan Spieth
    “Spieth” so I don’t have to say out loud I’m pulling for a Jordan
    But with it being 20 years after relevant MJ and last night Jordan Goldwire displaying a Gold medal 🥇 effort on defense
    Coming back from a 23 point deficit with a Jordan being a catalyst may be a breakthrough for me. I now have a great memory to tie the # 23 and Jordan (Goldwire) to in with this outstanding game from last night.
    Thank you Jordan you deserve much praise for the performance you provided for the Blue Devils last night
    and thanks for helping me get over my issue with 23 and Jordan
    You now have a place in Duke lore

I hope that Jordan today feels as good about himself as Duke fans feel about him.

Let's Go!!

I nominate Jordan Goldwire for the Grayson Allen "Let's Go!" Player of the Game!

Larry
    DevilHorse

-His defense on the final possession of the game, where we went back to man and they went right at him, was the cherry on top.

-K on Goldwire from the presser
    “Jordan’s a really good athlete. He had the best look of anyone on the bench. Sometimes when you look down and he was sitting at the edge of his seat wanting to get in. So, let’s get him in, and then you didn’t want to take him out. And then, Tre is such a good defender. He was everywhere. He’s just everywhere. They were looking where our guys were and not attacking them. That’s because of the effort of all these guys.”

Goldwire on Fire

Huge props to Jordan for being ready to step in and not overwhelmed by the moment.

OK, DBR fans. Raise your hand if your "minutes contest" entry has Goldwire averaging almost 7 minutes per game.

Raise your other hand if you thought Goldwire would ever be on the court in crunch time (barring weird stuff like Tre and RJ fouling out).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a guy have such a positive impact despite BADLY missing a 3 and a breakaway layup as his only FG attempts. But Goldwire came in and threw his body around on defense and helped give the team some energy. I think some of this was coincidental: we also switched to the full-court pressure, went smallball, and switched to the zone at the same time we went to Goldwire. So some of it was just getting quicker across the court and changing things up at just the right time. But still, Goldwire fit into that strategy very very well. He and Jones made life really difficult for Louisville just to bring the ball up the court. And their pressure allowed for the sharks (Zion, Barrett, and Reddish) to pounce as Louisville hit the panic button.

It was a great moment for Goldwire. Really happy for him. We don't win the game without the defensive strategy switch, nor do we win it without him contributing so well within that strategy. He was a bulldog out there on defense.
    This isn't really true. We used zone and press as far back as the 13 minute mark, with AOC helping Tre press and Javin as the only big. That wasn't effective. Jordan (and Zion) entered the game at the 9:41 mark, down 23. Then we started to crawl our way back.

use it, young man....use it...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese