Tombstone: Some Facts Revealed.

I have been doing some reading up on the events leading up to the OK Corral fight, and the Earp Vendetta Ride. Thought I would share some of these.
    First though, some movie goofs.
    There were electric lights in many scenes. Tombstone didn't get electricity til 1902.

In the OK Corral fight, Doc fires three shots in rather quick succession from a double barreled shotgun without reloading.

Marshall Fred White is depicted as an elderly man, in fact White was only 33 at the time of his murder.

When Virgil returns to the Oriental after being shot, Morgan and Wyatt are eating meals that contain broccoli, which was nearly unknown in the US at that time.

Marshall White did not die right away, but lingered for a few days. He testified his shooting by Curly Bill was accidental.

Doc Holliday did not kill Johnny Ringo. Ringo almost certainly shot himself. He had threatened to do it several times according to friends.
    Doc was nowhere close at the time, being in Colorado. The two did have an earlier confrontation that was stopped by friends. Both men were jailed and fined.
    In the movie, Curly Bill Brocius is depicted as the leader of the Cowboy gang. In fact it was Neuman (Old Man) Clanton, Ike and Billy's father.
    In Earp's Vendetta Ride, the movie depicts Earp's gang kills dozens of Cowboys. In fact, they only killed six men altogether.
    Wyatt did, however, kill Curly Bill at Iron Springs as shown in the film.
    There are many more stories and legends about that era in American history.

“Why, Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave.”

What a line.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I have been doing some reading up on the events leading up to the OK Corral fight, and the Earp Vendetta Ride. Thought I would share some of these.
    There were electric lights in many scenes. Tombstone didn't get electricity til 1902.

In the OK Corral fight, Doc fires three shots in rather quick succession from a double barreled shotgun without reloading.

Marshall Fred White is depicted as an elderly man, in fact White was only 33 at the time of his murder.

When Virgil returns to the Oriental after being shot, Morgan and Wyatt are eating meals that contain broccoli, which was nearly unknown in the US at that time.

Marshall White did not die right away, but lingered for a few days. He testified his shooting by Curly Bill was accidental.

Doc Holliday did not kill Johnny Ringo. Ringo almost certainly shot himself. He had threatened to do it several times according to friends.
    Doc was nowhere close at the time, being in Colorado. The two did have an earlier confrontation that was stopped by friends. Both men were jailed and fined.
    In the movie, Curly Bill Brocius is depicted as the leader of the Cowboy gang. In fact it was Neuman (Old Man) Clanton, Ike and Billy's father.
    In Earp's Vendetta Ride, the movie depicts Earp's gang kills dozens of Cowboys. In fact, they only killed six men altogether.
    Wyatt did, however, kill Curly Bill at Iron Springs as shown in the film.
    There are many more stories and legends about that era in American history.
    This is really eerie to me as I haven't seen this movie in years but actually just watched it last night! Great movie! Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday is legendary. So many good lines, "why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked across your grave" and "I'll be your huckleberry" lol

I also love Kevin Costner's film but for pure fun and enjoyment Tombstone cannot be beat.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

You’re a daisy if you do

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    What would we be without great friends? Some of my best are out west and very knowledgable about their history.

This movie was originally going to be spot on and began filming with a very factual script. Enter stage left, Hollywood. After a few days, the writer was fired and the script was rewritten. Goodbye facts, hello entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    What would we be without great friends? Some of my best are out west and very knowledgable about their history.

This movie was originally going to be spot on and began filming with a very factual script. Enter stage left, Hollywood. After a few days, the writer was fired and the script was rewritten. Goodbye facts, hello entertainment.
    Given what was produced, I'm ok with that trade-off.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Great line near the end in her dressing room

“ don’t worry Wyatt——my family’s rich”

🥴😂🤗😂🥴😂🤗😂🥴😂🤗

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Given what was produced, I'm ok with that trade-off.
    I'm sure Hollywood agrees. It's all about money, not accuracy. History buffs are probably the only ones disappointed.

Heck I just found out Billy Bob Thornton was in it. He is almost unrecognizable as Johnny Tyler in the beginning. Gah what a fantastic movie and has so many quotes throughout.

"You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed?"
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Another classic line of Doc's is when Billy was raging drunk in the street after killing Fred. Billy tells the stumbling Doc he's probably seeing double to which Doc replies, "I have two guns, one for each of you"

"Why you doing this Doc?"
    "Cause Wyatt Earp is my friend."
    "Friend? Hell I got lots of friends..."
    "I don't."

I think my favorite line of that movie is:
    "I have not yet begun to defile myself."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Another classic line of Doc's is when Billy was raging drunk in the street after killing Fred. Billy tells the stumbling Doc he's probably seeing double to which Doc replies, "I have two guns, one for each of you"
    Absolutely love that line! One of the best lines that doesn't get nearly enough love is when Doc wins his 12th hand of cards in a row and Ike insinuates he is cheating. Doc says:

"Maybe pokers just not your game Ike... I know! Let's have a spelling contest." Lol what a savage
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Absolutely love that line! One of the best lines that doesn't get nearly enough love is when Doc wins his 12th hand of cards in a row and Ike insinuates he is cheating. Doc says:

"Maybe pokers just not your game Ike... I know! Let's have a spelling contest." Lol what a savage
    Yes! I forgot about that one! lol

Laughing out loud....greatest one-liners
    I must watch it again tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I'm sure Hollywood agrees. It's all about money, not accuracy. History buffs are probably the only ones disappointed.
    Some may also want good movie. I thought that Tombstone was wonderful — a surprise for me. The tension between Doc and Rango and Wyatt was compelling, the driving force that the movie was built around.

Inventing a confrontation that didn’t happen is, in my opinion, poetic license that worked.

The shootout itself will be the centerpiece of any telling of the story, whether in that movie or any of the non-fiction shows, books, articles and opinion pieces about it. The thing Tombstone brought to that scene was a back story, which is necessarily imagined to some degree, since the backstory of every story is about human emotions and dealings with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Laughing out loud...greatest one-liners
    I hope you elected to watch the Duke basketball game instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I hope you elected to watch the Duke basketball game instead.
    Oh yeah...again this morning too....last nine minutes anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Laughing out loud...greatest one-liners
    Yeah this thread has me craving to watch it. So many of my friends have never even seen a second of it and I find it heartbreaking. I can't get them to even give it a try because they just don't wanna see a western.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Yeah this thread has me craving to watch it. So many of my friends have never even seen a second of it and I find it heartbreaking. I can't get them to even give it a try because they just don't wanna see a western.
    Billy Bob has a great line."You back that queen again and I'll blow you right up that wildcat's (bleep)." Talking about a mounted cougar over the bar..lol

" I feel just capitol"..Curley Bill

"Next time we come, you better step aside. I ain't kiddin' neither." Curley Bill.

Doc, to Kate. " Yes, it's true you are a good woman. But again, you may be the Anti Christ."

Y'all remember the scene where Doc says something in Latin and surprisingly Ringo understands what he says and they get into what sounds like an intense conversation in all Latin. Always a very underrated scene IMO as it sets the 2 apart from everyone else, making them appear to be more deadly with just a simple exchange.

Essentialy Doc is accused of being drunk and he says in Latin that he speaks the truth when he drinks. Ringo basically doesn't believe in Docs deadly reputation and says drinking is all he's good at. Doc of course says it's not all he's good at which is a hint that yeah his reputation is deserved. Ringo calls him a fool and fools only learn by experience and moves his hand to his gun. Doc being ever so witty just says it would be his (Ringos) funeral.

Found the scene with subtitles (which you didn't get in the movie)

https://youtu.be/6gSj1G4Vf0w
    Last edited by JNort; 02-14-2019 at 09:07 PM.