Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    But Bilas said Guy clipped him and Bilas is never wrong. HBCK must be blind��
    Bilas is full of BS. Swofford must be feeding his wallet somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Bilas is full of BS. Swofford must be feeding his wallet somehow.
    Bilas has one thing in common with Dan Bonner...(Bonner is worse at this particular thing, Bilas more annoying over all): That is, they'll talk through a replay that clearly shows a missed call and they'll just ignore it....as if we didn't all see it. Do they think we're blind and stupid?

On this particular play, Johnson was out of control, and Guy clearly turned his back and simply tried to run away to AVOID the foul. There was very little contact, and what contact there was resulted from Johnson's lack of control. How do you foul someone when your back is to them and you're getting out of the way????

Bonner is annoying like this too...especially on the phantom "and ones" that refs love to call. I've seen Bonner yak through a replay that clearly showed atmosphere between the two players, and act like the foul was correct call.

I think Bonner is great. Agree though that he tries to explain the call or no call instead of disagreeing with it where warranted.

Bilas looks for faults and controversy. Bonner is a happy narrator still Sailing with the Pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think Bonner is great. Agree though that he tries to explain the call or no call instead of disagreeing with it where warranted.

Bilas looks for faults and controversy. Bonner is a happy narrator still Sailing with the Pilot.
    Yeah Bonner is the happy "see no evil hear no evil" camper....who simply talks over a replay as if it's a good call, regardless of what the replay shows. Bilas is sanctimonious...cloying....grating...preachy.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think he meant to say homies. I’ve enjoyed shjiang’s posts on the other board. Definite similarities between 2019 UVA and 2010 Duke, though let’s hope they don’t win it all because we’ll be the ones hanging a banner 8-)
    Thanks for clarification, Urinal. Post in midnight is like hangover. Great to join this forum and discuss Duke!

Anyone weauxing about the "throw your head back to draw a foul call" move should avoid watching Coby White at all costs. He's a fun, dynamic player to watch, generally, but he takes that move to another level. Again. And again. And again.

Fun game to watch last night.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Anyone weauxing about the "throw your head back to draw a foul call" move should avoid watching Coby White at all costs.
    Haven’t seen THAT guy around here lately.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Just another example that almost every screen is a moving screen. Huff probably didn’t need to lean into the chasing defenders in order to spring Guy but that’s a foul.
    Unless he was leaning into Zion, no defender would have been able to get there in time. No advantage was gained.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I can see this. I'd add that UVa's pack line defense isn't all that different from compact man-to-man Duke used in 2010.
    The two defenses were still vastly different. Duke 2010 was still 11th in the country in holding down opponent 3-pt attempts and was only 122nd in the country in defensive rebounding pct. UVA, on the other hand, routinely ranks low in giving up 3-pt attempts (215th in the country this season) and high in defensive rebounding (52nd this season, which is lower than usual for them).

Ultimately, while Duke 2010 was more compact than previous versions of Duke, we still denied the wing pass on defense and pressured the ball out high using Nolan Smith, often for 70 to 94 feet. (Note: UVA does pressure the ball but rarely as far out as Duke.) That's how you limit 3-pt attempts, and wing denial defense sometimes gives up defensive rebounding position. UVA's defense, on the other hand, allows the wing pass and has their wings playing in the gaps (creating the "pack").

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think he meant to say homies. I’ve enjoyed shjiang’s posts on the other board. Definite similarities between 2019 UVA and 2010 Duke, though let’s hope they don’t win it all because we’ll be the ones hanging a banner 8-)
    Yeah, Duke 2019 might be Kentucky 2010 in the comparison. It's unbelievable that they had John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patterson, and Darius Miller on the same team. That's two All-Stars, another very high quality NBA starter in Bledsoe, a high quality rotation player (once upon a time) in Patterson, and another current rotation wing in Miller. Duke 2019 would do well to match that.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, Duke 2019 might be Kentucky 2010 in the comparison. It's unbelievable that they had John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patterson, and Darius Miller on the same team. That's two All-Stars, another very high quality NBA starter in Bledsoe, a high quality rotation player (once upon a time) in Patterson, and another current rotation wing in Miller. Duke 2019 would do well to match that.
    I was frankly thrilled when 2010 Kentucky and 2015 Kentucky were taken out of our way by WVA and Wiscy in the NCAAT. Match ups, the draw of the bracket, upsets in your bracket, etc, all the variables that play into who actually cuts down the nets. Being the best, or one of the best teams, is only a start.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Bonner smiles too much; Bilas needs to smile more. Whatever happened to Bill Raftery, who treated hoops like it was a game?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

There's one major difference between KY 2010 and Duke 2019 people are leaving out. KY won a bunch of close games, many against bad teams, that it should have lost. They lost to the first good team they played in the NCAAs just as I predicted. Duke 2019 still has KenPom luck of 0. We're 1-2 in close games.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I was frankly thrilled when 2010 Kentucky and 2015 Kentucky were taken out of our way by WVA and Wiscy in the NCAAT. Match ups, the draw of the bracket, upsets in your bracket, etc, all the variables that play into who actually cuts down the nets. Being the best, or one of the best teams, is only a start.
    In a similar vein, this is probably the loudest cheer I've ever uttered for a non-Duke tournament play:

The two defenses were still vastly different. Duke 2010 was still 11th in the country in holding down opponent 3-pt attempts and was only 122nd in the country in defensive rebounding pct. UVA, on the other hand, routinely ranks low in giving up 3-pt attempts (215th in the country this season) and high in defensive rebounding (52nd this season, which is lower than usual for them).

Ultimately, while Duke 2010 was more compact than previous versions of Duke, we still denied the wing pass on defense and pressured the ball out high using Nolan Smith, often for 70 to 94 feet. (Note: UVA does pressure the ball but rarely as far out as Duke.) That's how you limit 3-pt attempts, and wing denial defense sometimes gives up defensive rebounding position. UVA's defense, on the other hand, allows the wing pass and has their wings playing in the gaps (creating the "pack").

I've thought about the Kentucky comparison too. I was surprised to see them 22nd in offensive efficiency, albeit post-tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    In a similar vein, this is probably the loudest cheer I've ever uttered for a non-Duke tournament play:

Why is the color commentator screaming "You can't be serious with that shot?" It was a wide open 3 in transition.

I know the clock was running down and they maybe should have tried to run clock, but wasn't that a high percentage shot?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Why is the color commentator screaming "You can't be serious with that shot?" It was a wide open 3 in transition.

I know the clock was running down and they maybe should have tried to run clock, but wasn't that a high percentage shot?
    It was because he shot so early in the shot clock. Northern Iowa had led the overall #1 seed basically the entire game, but it had gotten tight in the closing moments and UNI was showing perhaps signs of cracking under pressure and blowing their lead. They had the opportunity to run the shot clock down to ~7 seconds, still with a lead.
    But instead, Farokhmanesh went for the dagger, and, well, here we are talking about it almost 9 years(?!?!) later.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    It was because he shot so early in the shot clock. Northern Iowa had led the overall #1 seed basically the entire game, but it had gotten tight in the closing moments and UNI was showing perhaps signs of cracking under pressure and blowing their lead. They had the opportunity to run the shot clock down to ~7 seconds, still with a lead.
    But instead, Farokhmanesh went for the dagger, and, well, here we are talking about it almost 9 years(?!?!) later.
    Mid majors play with no fear and often do the unexpected or "best" play. It's why March MAdness is so great, babyyyyyyyyyyy!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Bonner smiles too much; Bilas needs to smile more. Whatever happened to Bill Raftery, who treated hoops like it was a game?
    "DBR:
    While we’re talking, let me offer you some free advice
    Talk less

Bilas:
    What?

DBR:
    Smile more"

(The participants *may* have been changed .)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    espn "gametracker" really wacky. A minute ago it showed cheats 62/Good guys 59, now Hoos 61 and cheats 59. Can they take away another 3-5 points from the cheats? Please?
    Clear demonstration of how good Virginia’s defense is.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Clear demonstration of how good Virginia’s defense is.
    Or how much ESPN wants UNC to win...