Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke @ Louisville (Tue, Feb 12, 9pm ET, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I got tired of you lazy ingrates not starting a Pre- and In-game discussion thread for our next opponent, Louisville, so i went ahead and did it. ;-)
    Currently (Sun. night) Louisville is ranked #16, at 17-7 (8-3) and in 4th place in the ACC. Duke is 21-2 (9-1) tied for 1st in the ACC. A win here really helps Duke tighten its grip on 1st, as we'll have 2 games remaining with our co-leader (did a li'l mouth vomit there) UNCheaters. Hopefully the Hoos can knock the Holes down a peg on Monday night.
    (apparently i don't know how to use winky face emoticons...)
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-10-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I got tired of you lazy ingrates not starting a Pre- and In-game discussion thread for our next opponent, Louisville, so i went ahead and did it. ;-)
    Currently (Sun. night) Louisville is ranked #16, at 17-7 (8-3) and in 4th place in the ACC. Duke is 21-2 (9-1) tied for 1st in the ACC. A win here really helps Duke tighten its grip on 1st, as we'll have 2 games remaining with our co-leader (did a li'l mouth vomit there) UNCheaters. Hopefully the Hoos can knock the Holes down a peg on Monday night.
    (apparently i don't know how to use winky face emoticons...)
    Louisville is also a quality opponent. The currently rank 13th on Kenpom. After the top 3 Kenpom, there is a significant drop off, however.

Louisville currently ranks 15 in AdjO and 28 in AdjD.

We can't expect a cakewalk, but even in Louisville's house I expect a win. I'll say Duke by 14.

Louisville averages 72 possessions per game, while Duke averages 76. If I split the difference ad say it comes in at about 74 possessions, I'll put the final score at:

Duke 85-71

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Louisville is also a quality opponent. The currently rank 13th on Kenpom. After the top 3 Kenpom, there is a significant drop off, however.

Louisville currently ranks 15 in AdjO and 28 in AdjD.

We can't expect a cakewalk, but even in Louisville's house I expect a win. I'll say Duke by 14.

Louisville averages 72 possessions per game, while Duke averages 76. If I split the difference ad say it comes in at about 74 possessions, I'll put the final score at:

Duke 85-71
    Wow. I have a lot of faith in this Duke team but I'm not sure I see a 14 point win here, especially coming off such a big game.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Wow. I have a lot of faith in this Duke team but I'm not sure I see a 14 point win here, especially coming off such a big game.
    Momentum is a powerful thing!

once you integrate with respect to velocity and take the time derivative anyway...

Closer than 14, I think more like 4. But we win regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    once you integrate with respect to velocity and take the time derivative anyway...
    Zion creates a negative coefficient of friction. It warps physics.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    This might be a bad omen for tomorrow night. If the fans can't stop celebrating the win at UVA (and a great win it was) to focus on Louisville, imagine if one actually participated in the win like our players did. Hopefully our guys show unusual maturity because Louisville is good enough to beat us at home even if we are focused. I'm nervous about this one because every time this season that I've run through Duke's ACC schedule, I always end up putting an 'L" beside this game. I was usually greedy and gave us a win @UVA, but I could never follow it up with a win @Lville, too. It just *feels* on a gut instinct level like we should split this pair of road games. Hopefully my gut is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Zion creates a negative coefficient of friction. It warps physics.
    I would suggest:

Negative coefficient of friction violates basic Work principles (violates laws of physics that you get more energy out than you started with).

Look to your earlier equation for the error. You do not just integrate over momentum wrt velocity, but as a partial differential equation, you overlook that with Zion you must also integrate over Mass (large movement of mass, balls leaving the floor at an unexpected rate). Then truly you will have calculated the general relativistic effects that you seek. Speed kills.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Ponying up Physics

UofL struggles against ball pressure, and for some reason, cannot adjust to hedging if their lives depended on it.

Since the Yum opened in mid-2010, every national champion (save for last season's Nova team) has played at least one game there, so here's hoping that works in Duke's favor.

Enoch is their key player (not the team's best, but the key), so if Duke can get him to switch onto Williamson or Barrett, he should get deep into foul trouble. McMahon is killer from three and the charity stripe (thankfully, those are his only strengths).

But for me, Duke Must. Win. This. Flipping. Game.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    I would suggest:

Negative coefficient of friction violates basic Work principles (violates laws of physics that you get more energy out than you started with).

Look to your earlier equation for the error. You do not just integrate over momentum wrt velocity, but as a partial differential equation, you overlook that with Zion you must also integrate over Mass (large movement of mass, balls leaving the floor at an unexpected rate). Then truly you will have calculated the general relativistic effects that you seek. Speed kills.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Ponying up Physics
    “You must spread some Comments around before commenting on DevilHorse again.”

But yes, the Laws of Physics cease to exist in Zion’s sneakers. I’ll be on the Quad later today with a “prove me wrong” table.

I would suggest:

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Ponying up Physics
    Physicsally speaking this is somewhat derivative, but I would think that Zion exhibits more snap, crackle and pop than most.

Let’s see is this it?
    0 position
    1 velocity
    2 acceleration
    3 jerk
    4 snap
    5 crackle
    6 pop

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Physicsally speaking this is somewhat derivative, but I would think that Zion exhibits more snap, crackle and pop than most.

Let’s see is this it?
    0 position
    1 velocity
    2 acceleration
    3 jerk
    4 snap
    5 crackle
    6 pop
    I am heartily opposed to any posts associating Zion with the last 3 of those words.

Pack Line Again

Hate to discuss basketball in this thread, but Louisville's new coach, Chris Mack, uses the pack line defense, much like Tony Bennett. Louisville apparently does it a little differently, not doubling the post. Here's an article on the L'ville defense: https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...rs/2334054002/

Also, who knew that Dino Gaudio is an assistant coach for the Cardinals? (Okay, I probably read this when he was hired and promptly forgot it.) https://247sports.com/college/louisv...ll--120967781/

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Louisville apparently does [the pack-line defense] a little differently, not doubling the post.
    Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?

Marques Bolden, come on dooooooown!

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Let’s see is this it?
    0 position
    1 velocity
    2 acceleration
    3 jerk
    4 snap
    5 crackle
    6 pop
    Even in the macroscopic world, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle tells us that you have to be somewhere.
    So '0 position' is just not in the cards. But perhaps versus the cards tomorrow.
    delta X times delta Momentum is greater than or equal to the planck constant (over 2 pi).
    So even with infinite momentum, Zion has to have (a) position; at least to start.

Of course, if he blocks another shot against a player and lands in the first row, he wouldn't be on the court anymore, but time would be out without the ball.
    That would be a discontinuity.
    We don't deal in non-Euclidean basketball in this thread.

From a quantum mechanical perspective, Zion's wave-function (probability of where he will be during a basketball game) is all over, above and beyond the borders of the court (and the front row).

I'll return your television to you now.

Larry
    Devilhorse

Even in the macroscopic world, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle tells us that you have to be somewhere.
    ...and in the micro world, once something gets to a certain smallness, it cannot be divided...and to try to do so means the particle loses locality...and is nowhere, but also everywhere, at once. Quantum Physics is a WEIRD WEIRD field...or should I say, our universe is a weird place, and science is just now catching up to some of it.

So '0 position' is just not in the cards. But perhaps versus the cards tomorrow.
    delta X times delta Momentum is greater than or equal to the planck constant (over 2 pi).
    So even with infinite momentum, Zion has to have (a) position; at least to start.

Of course, if he blocks another shot against a player and lands in the first row, he wouldn't be on the court anymore, but time would be out without the ball.

From a quantum mechanical perspective, Zion's wave-From a quantum mechanical perspective, Zion's wave-function (probability of where he will be during a basketball game) is all over, above and beyond the borders of the court (and the front row).unction (probability of where he will be during a basketball game) is all over, above and beyond the borders of the court (and the front row).

Larry
    Devilhorse
    Since observing an event can affect the outcome, with all eyes on Zion with expectation of suspension of the laws of physics, plays like the threejection become not only more possible, but arguably more probable.

From a quantum mechanical perspective, Zion's wave-function (probability of where he will be during a basketball game) is all over, above and beyond the borders of the court (and the front row).

Larry
    Devilhorse
    Thank you ROD.

Since observing an event can affect the outcome, with all eyes on Zion with expectation of suspension of the laws of physics, plays like the threejection become not only more possible, but arguably more probable.
    Of course, basketball and Zion are macroscopic.
    But there are Macroscopic Quantum states.
    They are Superfluidity and Superconductivity (anyone get an MRI lately?) [Some of the preliminary work on MRIs (then called NMR Imaging was done at Duke Med in the '70s, but I digress)].
    The Macroscopic Quantum States were first conceived by Fritz London OF DUKE.
    Annually there is a Fritz London Lecture that is put on by the Physics Department, where they bring in noted physicists from around the world to give a lecture in Fritz London's name. His widow used to attend before she passed on. But I digress again.

Now, I presume, we might add a Zion as the third Macroscopic Quantum state, as he is superfluid, super@conducting his craft, and quite observable!

Larry
    DevilHorse