Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Duke @ Louisville (Tue, Feb 12, 9pm ET, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I got tired of you lazy ingrates not starting a Pre- and In-game discussion thread for our next opponent, Louisville, so i went ahead and did it. ;-)
    Currently (Sun. night) Louisville is ranked #16, at 17-7 (8-3) and in 4th place in the ACC. Duke is 21-2 (9-1) tied for 1st in the ACC. A win here really helps Duke tighten its grip on 1st, as we'll have 2 games remaining with our co-leader (did a li'l mouth vomit there) UNCheaters. Hopefully the Hoos can knock the Holes down a peg on Monday night.
    (apparently i don't know how to use winky face emoticons...)
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-10-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I got tired of you lazy ingrates not starting a Pre- and In-game discussion thread for our next opponent, Louisville, so i went ahead and did it. ;-)
    Currently (Sun. night) Louisville is ranked #16, at 17-7 (8-3) and in 4th place in the ACC. Duke is 21-2 (9-1) tied for 1st in the ACC. A win here really helps Duke tighten its grip on 1st, as we'll have 2 games remaining with our co-leader (did a li'l mouth vomit there) UNCheaters. Hopefully the Hoos can knock the Holes down a peg on Monday night.
    (apparently i don't know how to use winky face emoticons...)
    Louisville is also a quality opponent. The currently rank 13th on Kenpom. After the top 3 Kenpom, there is a significant drop off, however.

Louisville currently ranks 15 in AdjO and 28 in AdjD.

We can't expect a cakewalk, but even in Louisville's house I expect a win. I'll say Duke by 14.

Louisville averages 72 possessions per game, while Duke averages 76. If I split the difference ad say it comes in at about 74 possessions, I'll put the final score at:

Duke 85-71

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Louisville is also a quality opponent. The currently rank 13th on Kenpom. After the top 3 Kenpom, there is a significant drop off, however.

Louisville currently ranks 15 in AdjO and 28 in AdjD.

We can't expect a cakewalk, but even in Louisville's house I expect a win. I'll say Duke by 14.

Louisville averages 72 possessions per game, while Duke averages 76. If I split the difference ad say it comes in at about 74 possessions, I'll put the final score at:

Duke 85-71
    Wow. I have a lot of faith in this Duke team but I'm not sure I see a 14 point win here, especially coming off such a big game.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Wow. I have a lot of faith in this Duke team but I'm not sure I see a 14 point win here, especially coming off such a big game.
    Momentum is a powerful thing!

once you integrate with respect to velocity and take the time derivative anyway...

Closer than 14, I think more like 4. But we win regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    once you integrate with respect to velocity and take the time derivative anyway...
    Zion creates a negative coefficient of friction. It warps physics.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Zion creates a negative coefficient of friction. It warps physics.
    I would suggest:

Negative coefficient of friction violates basic Work principles (violates laws of physics that you get more energy out than you started with).

Look to your earlier equation for the error. You do not just integrate over momentum wrt velocity, but as a partial differential equation, you overlook that with Zion you must also integrate over Mass (large movement of mass, balls leaving the floor at an unexpected rate). Then truly you will have calculated the general relativistic effects that you seek. Speed kills.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Ponying up Physics

UofL struggles against ball pressure, and for some reason, cannot adjust to hedging if their lives depended on it.

Since the Yum opened in mid-2010, every national champion (save for last season's Nova team) has played at least one game there, so here's hoping that works in Duke's favor.

Enoch is their key player (not the team's best, but the key), so if Duke can get him to switch onto Williamson or Barrett, he should get deep into foul trouble. McMahon is killer from three and the charity stripe (thankfully, those are his only strengths).

But for me, Duke Must. Win. This. Flipping. Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassdevil1 View Post
    Since the Yum opened in mid-2010, every national champion (save for last season's Nova team) has played at least one game there, so here's hoping that works in Duke's favor.
    This isn't true. 2012 Kentucky played Louisville at Rupp; 2017 UNC played Louisville at the Dean Dome; 2016 Villanova and 2018 Villanova didn't play Louisville at all (and while I'm pretty sure 2010 doesn't count, 2010 Duke didn't play Louisville either). So since the Yum Center opened, only four of the eight champions played at least one game there (50%).

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This isn't true. 2012 Kentucky played Louisville at Rupp; 2017 UNC played Louisville at the Dean Dome; 2016 Villanova and 2018 Villanova didn't play Louisville at all (and while I'm pretty sure 2010 doesn't count, 2010 Duke didn't play Louisville either). So since the Yum Center opened, only four of the eight champions played at least one game there (50%).
    You are omitting NCAA tourney games. The 2016 Nova squad went through Louisville, for example. Don't know about others.

ETA: doesn't look like the 2012 UK or 2017 UNC team went through Louisville in the tournament, along with (as noted originally) the 2018 Nova team.

EETA: whoops, looks like 2012 Kentucky played UALR at the Yum as a "neutral site" game. So, we're down to just 2017 UNC.
    Last edited by CDu; 02-11-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    You are omitting NCAA tourney games. The 2016 Nova squad went through Louisville, for example. Don't know about others.

ETA: doesn't look like the 2012 UK or 2017 UNC team went through Louisville in the tournament, along with (as noted originally) the 2018 Nova team.

EETA: whoops, looks like 2012 Kentucky played UALR at the Yum as a "neutral site" game. So, we're down to just 2017 UNC.
    OK, I apologize to Bluegrassdevil1. CDu is right that I only considered games in which Louisville participated.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassdevil1 View Post

The 2013 NCAA champion did not play any games in the Yum! Center. Because officially, there was no champion.

(We should be saying the same thing about '03, '05, '09, '17. And, it appears, '14.)

UVA took Carolina down, now we have to do the same to Louisville. Good luck to the guys tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    UVA took Carolina down, now we have to do the same to Louisville. Good luck to the guys tomorrow night.
    #2 vs #20. If both Duke and Louisville play to their potential then Duke will win. Should Duke win the game, we'll be firmly in control of the ACC reg. season title and #1 seed in the tourney. I don't hate Louisville or anything, but a big time smack-down would be nice!

#2 vs #20. If both Duke and Louisville play to their potential then Duke will win. Should Duke win the game, we'll be firmly in control of the ACC reg. season title and #1 seed in the tourney. I don't hate Louisville or anything, but a big time smack-down would be nice!
    we haven't played Carolina yet... were not really in control until they pick up another loss or we beat them next week

You should. For many reasons. I won't get into them here. For me it all starts in 1986.

You should. For many reasons. I won't get into them here. For me it all starts in 1986.
    Too soon

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Too soon
    It's never too soon to declare hatred for a dirty, slimy basketball program.

It's never too soon to declare hatred for a dirty, slimy basketball program.
    "Too soon" to bring up the memory of Pervis catching an air ball and scoring the deciding basket...against the 37-2 Blue Devils, one of the all time great teams.