Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    For real. I was proud of the UVA guys to keep it to a 10pt margin. I'd guess if Duke shoots over 60% from 3 and makes 13 (or more), they beat ANYBODY by 20+. Actually, probably 25+...
    Yeah, a tough one for sure. You guys played a heck of a game just to stay within shouting distance. But Duke was simply having an out of body experience from 3. Not much you can do when that happens.

Now go beat the urine out of the Heels!

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    For real. I was proud of the UVA guys to keep it to a 10pt margin. I'd guess if Duke shoots over 60% from 3 and makes 13 (or more), they beat ANYBODY by 20+. Actually, probably 25+...
    Duke shot well from three and played excellent defense. I thought UVA also played excellent defense and showed how capable they are on defense. They should be proud of their effort tonight.

And I've been schooled to believe Duke can't shoot 3s. Bad assumption for this game. Best game we've played this year.

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    I would be pretty surprised if we win Monday night. That's a really tough turnaround after a really physical game.
    Well, UNC had an overtime game themselves, so that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    So who predicted that Duke would win by shooting a higher percentage from 3 than 2? Raise your hand and link to your pregame post, please.
    The team seems to find a way. Liked Cam's play. He looked confident out there. That drive and dish to Zion was a key play in the game. Not sure we will shoot like that again- but they were shots in rhythm. Tre played a brilliant game and RJ was a man tonight. Also I thought Bolden was very important tonight with his blocks and good post defense. Hoos are a very good team and they were well rested. Losing Diakite hurt them but the kid who came in for him had many good moments. Great win but just the start of a very tough stretch. One game at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    I would be pretty surprised if we win Monday night. That's a really tough turnaround after a really physical game.
    I would rather be in your shoes. Having 24 hours to prepare for your defense after an OT game isn't optimal.

21-2, 9-1.

Coach K improves to 11-3 vs Tony Bennett in his career.

A wire to wire win on the road at a team good enough to make the final four. Just an unreal night shooting the ball from 3 and getting to the line while also forcing 14 turnovers, getting 12 steals, and having 18 assists on 26 made shots. It's not like Virginia shot poorly. They shot 28-60 overall and 10-24 from 3. Duke just knocked them back early and I think the closest they got after being down 14 was 4 at the half. Whenever Virginia cut it to 5 or 7 in the 2nd half, Duke just hit clutch shot after clutch shot. Duke really showed me something tonight in a hostile environment.

Jay Huff by the way is gonna be an absolute stud. He has a lot of Ryan Kelly in him.

Virginia was 17-1 in the ACC last year (20-1 including the ACCT) and already has 2 Ls in the league this year with trips to UNC and Virginia Tech still.

On to Louisville to resume this gauntlet of a schedule.

Let's Go Duke!

OK I am going to keep talking about the road 3P% until Duke goes cold, which may happen on Tuesday against Louisville.

UVA may be the only team in the country that could keep the game competitive with Duke shooting like that from three. Huge team win.

Now, Hoos, please take out all your frustration on the holes Monday night!

Virginia: If you want to win you're going to have to beat us with the 3.
    Duke: Well, okay.

Quick-ish question for any basketball rule nerds out there. There was a sequence in the second half where Zion Williamson lost control of the ball/was try to control the ball and was on the ground with the ball bouncing around and going off his foot, followed by a Virginia player tapping it as it went out of bounds. It looked like the ref however "whistled the play dead" from the point of the "kick" at least he was making kicking motions, and awarded the ball to Virginia. Huh?

Fun stat: UVa was only within 3 points at the opening possession. And after Duke took a 5-0 lead, it was never again a single-possession game.

Wow. What a display of three point shooting tonight with RJ and Cam just so hot. Tre also was extremely impressive with his disruptive defense, good passing and many contributions on offense. Virginia played very good defense which showed up on the many turnovers on Duke. Zion had more tonight than I have seen before and also RJ tried to force it inside and that didn't work. At times, Virginia looked quicker to the ball, but when Duke hits the 3 at that rate, they are hard to beat. Duke did look tired at the end of the first half but seemed to recover in the second half and Jack White's defense helped give Zion a rest. Bolden had another good game, a little difficulty with his footwork, but his defense was very good, even when beaten on terrific UVA offensive plays.

Cam's overall game has really come a long way. Great defense and great scoring with minimal turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I would rather be in your shoes. Having 24 hours to prepare for your defense after an OT game isn't optimal.
    OTOH, Heels are playing their best ball of the season and Hoos were playing their worst entering tonight, when they got somewhat back on track. Granted, some of that had to do with Jerome’s back issues, but winning in the Dean Dome with them playing like they are will be a tall order.

I’d be pretty happy with 2-2 in the next four (@UNC, ND, @VT, @Louisville). I think UVA is leveling off.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Depends on availability of Jerome and Diakite. IF we're down both of those guys, it's HUGE trouble. Even just being down Diakite would be big trouble given that UNC seems to have returned to using 2 bigs a lot.

**Now back to your regularly scheduled Duke postgame thread**

Again, incredibly impressed at the shooting. I would have assumed even wide open and uncontested Duke might've been at best in the 45-50% range, and that makes this a toss up game. Man, I will not forget that shooting exhibition ANYTIME soon. Amazing.... out of adjectives.

A very impressive win. 10 points at UVA is like 20-25 anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    OTOH, Heels are playing their best ball of the season and Hoos were playing their worst entering tonight, when they got somewhat back on track. Granted, some of that had to do with Jerome’s back issues, but winning in the Dean Dome with them playing like they are will be a tall order.

I’d be pretty happy with 2-2 in the next four (@UNC, ND, @VT, @Louisville). I think UVA is leveling off.
    Counterpoint: UNC just needed a last-possession 3 to send it to OT... at home... against Miami.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 02-10-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Virginia: If you want to win you're going to have to beat us with the 3.
    Duke: Well, okay.

Quick-ish question for any basketball rule nerds out there. There was a sequence in the second half where Zion Williamson lost control of the ball/was try to control the ball and was on the ground with the ball bouncing around and going off his foot, followed by a Virginia player tapping it as it went out of bounds. It looked like the ref however "whistled the play dead" from the point of the "kick" at least he was making kicking motions, and awarded the ball to Virginia. Huh?
    It think it was called a kicked ball by Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Since the Kentucky game, that was the first time every guy in the starting lineup had a great game in the same game.

What a team performance on both ends of the court! We looked like the best team in the country today.
    really in balance with almost all of those threes and if they can hold there arm/hand follow through like tonight....our length bothered them and Tre just so great with the hands...seems to play really well in bigger games as does RJ
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Counterpoint: UNC just needed a last-possession 3 to send it to OT... at home... against Miami.
    I’m about to de-spork you (is that a word?) for preserving my autocorrect mistake for posterity.

Mamba Mentality

RJ's post-game interview on the court was great. "We love road games. That's why we wear black, cause it's their funeral."

I love these guys -- they're killers.