Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    UVA falling apart after leading by seven at the half. Bad decision making on shots. Heels coming on strong while Cavs look confused.
    Fatigue, mental and physical. Predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Fatigue, mental and physical. Predictable.
    Sorry, but the Cheats played an overtime game on Saturday so those excuses don't fly. Now if you want to say Jerome isn't right I'll go along with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Sorry, but the Cheats played an overtime game on Saturday so those excuses don't fly. Now if you want to say Jerome isn't right I'll go along with that.
    You're wrong. The Heels had a six hour turn around advantage, which is huge on a short turn. They had another half day of travel advantage. That's a ten hour rest advantage out of 48...HUGE DIFFERENCE. And then a game with Miami is nothing like the the emotional toll that a Duke game is for Virginia. This was predictable, and predicted.

Thank you, UVA.

You're wrong. The Heels had a six hour turn around advantage, which is huge on a short turn. They had another half day of travel advantage. That's a ten hour rest advantage out of 48...HUGE DIFFERENCE. And then a game with Miami is nothing like the the emotional toll that a Duke game is for Virginia. This was predictable, and predicted.
    Yeah, but it looks like UVA is going to pull it out anyway. Up 7 with 16 seconds to go. Carolina fell apart after Johnson went out with an injury. Loving this quiet, stunned stadium right now. Boy, am I glad I came to this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, but it looks like UVA is going to pull it out anyway. Up 7 with 16 seconds to go. Carolina fell apart after Johnson went out with an injury. Loving this quiet, stunned stadium right now. Boy, am I glad I came to this game.
    Yes UVa was mentally tougher down the stretch...but the ankle injuries taking out Little and then Johnson kind of nullified the big advantage NC had....then the reversal on the long three (which was a good call, but tough mentally for the cheats).

Very gutty UVA performance. Did it all turn on that Coby White shot that missed leaving his fingertips by a nanosecond?

I've got a nice clean towel you can have. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get all that egg of your face with no problem.

Yes UVa was mentally tougher down the stretch...but the ankle injuries taking out Little and then Johnson kind of nullified the big advantage NC had...then the reversal on the long three (which was a good call, but tough mentally for the cheats).
    I did think UNC was quicker to loose balls which gaqve them extra attempts. Huff is not as tough inside as Salt.

Congrats, UVA fans. Way to fight back Hoos!

So pleased for UVA tonight. Great effort to stay the course.

And even more pleased with how our Devils are rounding into form and their mental toughness.

But, I write mainly because talk of frisbees and the Hoos on this thread triggered one of my favorite Cameron memories. Cold, gray day in early 1979. They let us into Cameron at least two hours before tip-off. The frisbees were flying across the court as we anticipated our Devils putting it to the lesser Hoos. Angst followed, however, as Duke trailed the entire game, until . . . Jim Suddath stroked a sweet jumper from the right corner with about 15 seconds left to finally move us ahead — the final points scored in a 64-63 Duke victory. The euphoria we felt as we tumbled out of Cameron was then multiplied as we discovered that it had started snowing while we were inside and had dropped right much snow. Campus was alive with raucous students traying and snowball fights late into the night. Truly a magical experience. LGD

You listen too much to Bilas. Score was tied when Johnson twisted his ankle. He was out for only 3 minutes and Cavs up only 2 when he got back in and UNC had the ball. Johnson imdiately had a turnover and then missed 4 shots in the last 2 and a half minutes.

I remain so impressed with DeAndre Hunter. He has an NBA level game. That midrange jumper is smooth as silk and he has a quick first step when driving against a bigger defender. He will be a force as a small forward in the NBA. He has added a good 3 point stroke, too. Guy also is such a stud to me. He can flat out rip it and has a nice midrange game and can finish around the rim. He had a great reverse layup tonight where he used the rim to shield off a defender behind him. Gutsy performance from Jerome, too, who was getting treatment on his back on the sidelines during the game. I still think Virginia is good enough to win it all.

White for UNC impressed me but no one else. Maye had a terrible game shooting but did grab 11 boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I don't really think I would change much either way if I was Bennett. From the perspective of your D, even an "ordinary hot" day from 3 from us (say 10-21 instead of 13-21) and it's a 1 possession game. And as to your O, I don't think the issue was U.Va. not being ready to shoot or not running the right offense. I thought you ran offense fine. The differentiator to me was your TOs -- and, really, the live ball TOs that we cashed in for easy buckets. I thought Bennett's comment that you just need to "tighten it up" on protecting the ball was exactly right.
    Live ball turnovers were a problem for UVA vs UNC as well. There was one baffling stretch in the 2nd half in which UVA turned it over or forced up horrible shots on offense on 5 out of 6 possessions. Once the ball gets out of Guy or Jerome's hands it can get pretty dicey. I guess Clark is pretty good withe ball, but he had a real headscratcher vs UNC too. It did seem that UVA was willing to shoot the ball earlier in the shot clock vs UNC, so maybe Bennett is opening up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Live ball turnovers were a problem for UVA vs UNC as well. There was one baffling stretch in the 2nd half in which UVA turned it over or forced up horrible shots on offense on 5 out of 6 possessions. Once the ball gets out of Guy or Jerome's hands it can get pretty dicey. I guess Clark is pretty good withe ball, but he had a real headscratcher vs UNC too. It did seem that UVA was willing to shoot the ball earlier in the shot clock vs UNC, so maybe Bennett is opening up to that.
    UVa almost totally melted down at that point and almost let it get way out of hand. It was a Duke hangover without a doubt. To their credit, they hit some clutch shots, got a little lucky with another ankle injury to the cheats and the three pointer being disallowed...and won a brutally difficult and impressive win. (to clarify on the 3 pointer being waved, it was the right call...just a delicious rush of air out of the heel's emotional balloon the way it happened).

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Loved Zion’s explanation of the block: “Coach said no 3s," Williamson explained. "And I was trying to get out there and make him drive, but he shot it so I blocked it."

That simple, huh?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...te-short-title
    This is an odd comparison, but this quote for some reason made me think of the block that Rob Gronkowski had on a Colts DB maybe two seasons ago where Gronk said afterward “I threw him out of the club” (or something to that effect). Zion’s sheer physicality completely disrupted the play beyond what anyone else could reasonably be expected to do. He was on the OTHER side of the key when the ball was passed to the corner. And he ejected the shot from the club.

UVa almost totally melted down at that point and almost let it get way out of hand. It was a Duke hangover without a doubt. To their credit, they hit some clutch shots, got a little lucky with another ankle injury to the cheats and the three pointer being disallowed...and won a brutally difficult and impressive win. (to clarify on the 3 pointer being waved, it was the right call...just a delicious rush of air out of the heel's emotional balloon the way it happened).
    They dug down deep when they seemed thoroughly emotionally and physically exhausted and willed themselves to victory. It was VERY impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbailey View Post
    So pleased for UVA tonight. Great effort to stay the course.

And even more pleased with how our Devils are rounding into form and their mental toughness.

But, I write mainly because talk of frisbees and the Hoos on this thread triggered one of my favorite Cameron memories. Cold, gray day in early 1979. They let us into Cameron at least two hours before tip-off. The frisbees were flying across the court as we anticipated our Devils putting it to the lesser Hoos. Angst followed, however, as Duke trailed the entire game, until . . . Jim Suddath stroked a sweet jumper from the right corner with about 15 seconds left to finally move us ahead — the final points scored in a 64-63 Duke victory. The euphoria we felt as we tumbled out of Cameron was then multiplied as we discovered that it had started snowing while we were inside and had dropped right much snow. Campus was alive with raucous students traying and snowball fights late into the night. Truly a magical experience. LGD
    Did any benches burn that night? With snow falling, would've been very cool...err hot!!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    You listen too much to Bilas. Score was tied when Johnson twisted his ankle. He was out for only 3 minutes and Cavs up only 2 when he got back in and UNC had the ball. Johnson imdiately had a turnover and then missed 4 shots in the last 2 and a half minutes.
    I wasn’t listening to Bilas; I was at the game. And if you don’t think Johnson’s injury hurt UNC’s chances of winning, I don’t know which game you were watching. He went out at a crucial time when UNC had momentum. And when he came back in he wasn’t the same player he had been prior to getting hurt. So what exactly are you trying to say?

I wasn’t listening to Bilas; I was at the game. And if you don’t think Johnson’s injury hurt UNC’s chances of winning, I don’t know which game you were watching. He went out at a crucial time when UNC had momentum. And when he came back in he wasn’t the same player he had been prior to getting hurt. So what exactly are you trying to say?
    Exactly what I said