Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep, we now have roughly a 1 in 3 chance of winning all of the six-game stretch and a 2 in 3 chance of surviving it with no more than 1 loss.
    More importantly, we have a 100% chance of improving to 2-0 against UVa.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    I had a chance then to stand next to Ralph when he came out on the court and my 5'7" barely came up to his waist.
    I ran into the VA team in the Denver Airport (Stapleton) in '82 or '83 and recall Ralph leaning against a column with his hand resting against a cross beam in the ceiling. It was strange looking but sure illustrated his height and reach.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    My wife is fairly athletic, but doesn’t play basketball. One day she came out and tried to shoot free throws. They were all so close, but smacking the back iron. I told her to try to put a little more “arc” in her shot.

It looked exactly like that. I wonder if he got the same tip.
    I think that’s what happened. He doinked a line drive off the front of the rim on the first one so he overcompensated on the second.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I think that’s what happened. He doinked a line drive off the front of the rim on the first one so he overcompensated on the second.
    It looked to me like he was trying to miss, hit the rim and VA try to get the rebound and he was over exuberant.

I ran into Tommy Burleson a few years ago while we were chasing smallmouth bass on the New River. I am six foot one, but Tommy towered over me. Made me feel like a midget..lol
    He was a nice guy, even shared the same stretch of water with us for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I ran into Tommy Burleson a few years ago while we were chasing smallmouth bass on the New River. I am six foot one, but Tommy towered over me. Made me feel like a midget..lol
    But he didn't need waders...

We were in kayaks, and Tommy was fishing out of a two man yak..lol By himself.

That kind of height is amazing. I played adult league ball against Chuck Nevitt a few times in Cary...and I also played one game against a guy named George Bell, a 7 foot 8 - yes, 7-8...back in the 80s...in an all star type game in SC. I'm about 6-3...wow, that George Bell didn't even seem real. Something like 15 years later, I ran into him in a convenience store in Raleigh...he had recently taken some kind of PR job with Raleigh PD. He wasn't good enough to play ball for a living, so that's what he did...these PR jobs for police departments. He was NOT a happy dude - living at that size is expensive for someone without a pro salary.

On Nevitt - I had my Tony Lang Scottie Thurman moment...he came charging out on a long three and I had to arc it so high that I had no idea where the hoop was...I just shot it to barely get over him. Nothing but net (nothing but luck). Nevitt was shocked...I acted like I never had a doubt (which was a lie). I guess I'm lucky I didn't have a Zion/Hunter moment....

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, though the key defensive matchup IMO will be Tre on Coby White, who went for 33 points yesterday with 7-10 from three. Coby's length and quickness make him a difficult cover, but he hasn't seen a defender like Tre Jones.
    ^^This is going to be one heck of a matchup and I can't wait for it. I hate the heels but Coby White can flat out ball. If Tre can limit him, it will severely limit their whole offense.

We were in kayaks, and Tommy was fishing out of a two man yak..lol By himself.
    Nobody else would fit!😂

He had his feet where the other guy would have been seated.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m not really sure where you’re coming from on this. I think Duke teams have played exceptionally hard since the day Coach K took over as head coach. There may have been a couple editions in the OAD era that have played with slightly less intensity, but that’s as far as it goes. I think your eyes have been deceiving you.
    I think I get what he's saying because I see it too. "Playing hard" is probably not exactly the nuanced way I'd put it. I think most teams play hard, but great teams have an urgency on the defensive end that is above playing hard. I think both Zion and Tre play with that urgency on every play and it's contagious. There aren't many players who would have even attempted to block such a wide open 3, but Zion urgently needed to try! That's special and many recent Duke teams haven't had it.

-c

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, though the key defensive matchup IMO will be Tre on Coby White, who went for 33 points yesterday with 7-10 from three. Coby's length and quickness make him a difficult cover, but he hasn't seen a defender like Tre Jones.
    Knowing UNC’s history we may be dealing with this guy for 3-4 years. How do they keep finding these high-level PGs? From Raymond Felton to Ty Lawson to Kendall Marshall to Marcus Paige to Joel Berry II and now Coby White, it’s been a virtually unbroken string of nightmare PGs. And even if White becomes a somewhat rare Roy Williams OAD they may well have Cole Anthony waiting in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m not really sure where you’re coming from on this. I think Duke teams have played exceptionally hard since the day Coach K took over as head coach. There may have been a couple editions in the OAD era that have played with slightly less intensity, but that’s as far as it goes.
    Apologies, no offense intended, not even a back-handed compliment. It's more that I'm thinking about the OAD problem in general, with Kentucky being the most significant example. Sometimes the OADs just seem to drift through the season putting up the points that they think will lead to becoming a lottery pick.

Your guys this year are playing with phenomenal intensity. It's a real pleasure to watch.

DukieInBrasil was right!

In the words of the Fonz, "I was wrrrrrrooong". DukieInBrasil said Duke would win @ UVA and I foolishly wagered on the odds. DukieInBrasil prudently ignored how few games UVA has lost at home, in the last two seasons, and beat Duke could win. I foolishly thought beating, IMO, the second best team in college hoops at home would be very difficult and the odds were against Duke.

DukeInBrasil was right!

Really

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Nobody else would fit!😂
    Not Monte Towe?

Quote Originally Posted by UVa1981 View Post
    Apologies, no offense intended, not even a back-handed compliment. It's more that I'm thinking about the OAD problem in general, with Kentucky being the most significant example. Sometimes the OADs just seem to drift through the season putting up the points that they think will lead to becoming a lottery pick.

Your guys this year are playing with phenomenal intensity. It's a real pleasure to watch.
    Okay, I get where you’re coming from. Thanks for clarifying. Looking forward (with a bit of trepidation) to the third go-round in the ACC tournament. I will be in the Smith Center tonight cheering your boys on to what I hope will be a victory.

Quote Originally Posted by UVa1981 View Post

Another word describing the freshmen and vets alike is focused. For the rookies, that can often be an issue. With everything else a student/athlete has going on in addition to hoops, these guys as a group are extraordinarily focused.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    I think I get what he's saying because I see it too. "Playing hard" is probably not exactly the nuanced way I'd put it. I think most teams play hard, but great teams have an urgency on the defensive end that is above playing hard. I think both Zion and Tre play with that urgency on every play and it's contagious. There aren't many players who would have even attempted to block such a wide open 3, but Zion urgently needed to try! That's special and many recent Duke teams haven't had it.

-c
    I think we can include Cam in that category with Zion & Tre. Those 3 players play hard for the entire game and never take a play off. I was so impressed with Cam when his shot wasn't going. He didn't let it affect his Defense and RJ is no slouch on D as well. Then you throw in Marques and Jack that play good defense and you have one of the best defensive teams we've had in a while. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    In the words of the Fonz, "I was wrrrrrrooong". DukieInBrasil said Duke would win @ UVA and I foolishly wagered on the odds. DukieInBrasil prudently ignored how few games UVA has lost at home, in the last two seasons, and beat Duke could win. I foolishly thought beating, IMO, the second best team in college hoops at home would be very difficult and the odds were against Duke.

DukeInBrasil was right!
    Several of us saw this coming, and wagered the 500 funny money on it in the Degenerates contest. Helped me to a decent, but not great, weekend.