Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Was about to post something similar...great post.

Jerome and Guy made some tough buckets...Hunter made some very long contested two's...and we forced quite a few TO's. Fantastic D on our part.

And yeah Bilas needs to keep his street cred by pushing the Duke gets all the calls narrative.
    I’m soo tired of Jay Bilas & his need to point out where he thinks the refs make a call that benefits Duke. I watched several games today & nobody goes back & shows replays of multiple individual fouls to make a point like Nilas does. It really takes away from the game & emphasizes something & helps to create controversy. I wish espn would take him off of Duke games (I know that won’t happen)

What a great win for the team today!!
    GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedev_92 View Post
    I’m soo tired of Jay Bilas & his need to point out where he thinks the refs make a call that benefits Duke. I watched several games today & nobody goes back & shows replays of multiple individual fouls to make a point like Nilas does. It really takes away from the game & emphasizes something & helps to create controversy. I wish espn would take him off of Duke games (I know that won’t happen)

GO DUKE!
    I love when the replay shows that he's completely wrong with what he claims to have seen, he'll do something like claim the rule is wrong and should be changed.

I think he thinks he's never been wrong in his life.
    1200. DDMF.

Bennett's presser if interested

http://www.virginiasportstv.com/mensbasketball/2KNO

UVA players presser if interested

http://www.virginiasportstv.com/mensbasketball/2KPe

ADVANCED STATS

Possessions: 63.1 (believe it or not that's four possessions faster than Virginia's adjusted season average)

OFFENSE

oRtg: 1.28 (our adjusted oRtg was 1.46, which is simply astonishing)
    eFG%: 72.2% (unfirgginbelievable; our best eFG% of the season, by a lot (2nd best was 65.4%, against Stetson))
    3pt%: 61.9% (who says we can't shoot the three?)
    2pt%: 54.2% (not our best, but not bad, and when you're a three-point shooting team like Duke, you can definitely live with this number )
    %threes: 46.7% (way too high, but when you got it, flaunt it)
    FT rate: 51.1% (huge, but also inflated by UVa fouling at the end of the game)
    OR%: 36.4% (good, not great)
    TO%: 23.8% (this is horrendous, but it's really the only thing we did poorly on offense)
    a/to: 1.2:1
    %assisted: 69.2% (our highest assist% of the season, which is crazy since the first UVa game was by far our lowest assist% of the season (23.1%); I guess having Tre made a difference, huh?)
    fast break pts: 17 (21.0% of our points; coming into this game, we'd had 4 games under 11% out of our last 5, and hadn't been over 20% since, you guessed it, the last Virginia game)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.12 (adjusted that's 0.95, not great but it's still below 1 point per possession; considering the outcome, we'll take it)
    eFG%: 55.0% (poor)
    3pt%: 41.7% (not good)
    2pt%: 50.0% (also not good)
    %threes: 40.0%
    FT rate: 11.7% (really good; 5th straight game under 20% for a top 15 team in this stat)
    DR%: 54.8% (very poor)
    TO%: 22.2% (amazing, against the team with the 5th lowest turnover rate in the country)
    a/to: 1.07:1 (broke a 16 game streak of forcing our opponents to have equal or more turnovers than assists; though UVa only had one more assist than turnover, so not so bad)
    %assisted: 53.6%
    fast break pts: 0 (0.0% of their points; impossible to get any better than this in this stat)
    block%: 8.3%; 13.9% of 2-point shots (another solid performance for the #1 block% team in the nation)
    steal%: 19.0% (huge game for the #1 steal% team in the nation)

It's impossible to overstate how amazing our offense was against Virginia this evening. Defense was a mixed bag, possibly more bad than good, but it was enough for a double-digit win over the #3 team in the country in their house, so it would be churlish to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedev_92 View Post

GO DUKE!
    Disconnected the center channel speaker for this game. Only game sounds for the entire 40 minutes is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by godins View Post
    RJ's post-game interview on the court was great. "We love road games. That's why we wear black, cause it's their funeral."

I love these guys -- they're killers.
    Savage quote

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    ...I know this horse has been beaten to death ad nauseam...but Mr Bilas continues his streak of finding some calls that “should have gone against Duke” and never ones on the opponent for us.
    After the game I managed to get down into the tunnels under jpj to pop out near the bus. Bilas walked by intent on his phone and I just managed a "Hey Jay, go get 'em" innocuous hello. He blew me off and that's the second time this season. He did it in Toronto, too.,

You've been warned Jay. Not nice to ignore someone in Duke blue who's only saying hello.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    After the game I managed to get down into the tunnels under jpj to pop out near the bus. Bilas walked by intent on his phone and I just managed a "Hey Jay, go get 'em" innocuous hello. He blew me off and that's the second time this season. He did it in Toronto, too.,

You've been warned Jay. Not nice to ignore someone in Duke blue who's only saying hello.
    That seems in line with any interaction I've seen of plebians with him.
    1200. DDMF.

Aoc ok? Saw he didn’t get minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Aoc ok? Saw he didn’t get minutes?
    given we were having no trouble hitting threes, and were having some issues on defense, i'm not sure AoC was the right answer today. Jack and Javin are much more capable defensive subs off the bench.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I watched the replay and definitely did not look like an intentional kick by Zion. Bad call. However, the ball actually ended up going off Zion's hand last anyway so its a wash
    I thought he was saying it was out of bounds off of Zions leg.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I thought he was saying it was out of bounds off of Zions leg.
    that was exactly it. people i was watching with were confused too, but on replay, it's clearly OOB off his foot.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I love when the replay shows that he's completely wrong with what he claims to have seen, he'll do something like claim the rule is wrong and should be changed.

I think he thinks he's never been wrong in his life.
    I don’t know. He was pretty self-deprecating about Ralph Sampson dunking all over him. What no one did mention was that Ralph called the Duke big men dirty players after a 43-point Virginia win in the 1983 ACC Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It isn’t a foul unless there is contact. As soon as there is contact, it is a foul. And there was contact in this case.
    CDu... thanks again. Enjoy your posts. I didn’t know that there was contact and was a foul. All I heard was Bilas saying Bolden was “in the cylinder”. My confusion...

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post
    I don’t know. He was pretty self-deprecating about Ralph Sampson dunking all over him. What no one did mention was that Ralph called the Duke big men dirty players after a 43-point Virginia win in the 1983 ACC Tournament.
    maybe the only thing he thinks he might have been wrong about was playing basketball...delaying the dissemination of his knowledge to the world by several years. (I don't care for bilas much, in case that wasn't clear...he lost my last shred of respect for him after the Grayson incidents)
    1200. DDMF.

Officially tired of Ralph Sampson. Stick a fork in him already, he's boring. Brogdon was a much purer player and better person.

Calling it.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    If I'm being completely honest, regular season losses don't really hurt anymore. After the tourney loss last year, nothing even comes close in comparison. I appreciate the kind words and I echo the sentiment about good sportmanship by players on both sides. I think there's mutual respect there. I'm not sure UVA has always been a program that deserved Duke's respect so that is progress in my mind.

Still laughing at Jack Salt's second free throw attempt LOL
    What was up with that? It's like he just totally gave up like it thought it was a pointless exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    maybe the only thing he thinks he might have been wrong about was playing basketball...delaying the dissemination of his knowledge to the world by several years. (I don't care for bilas much, in case that wasn't clear...he lost my last shred of respect for him after the Grayson incidents)
    No problem. I knew Jay back in the day, so I chuckle when his ‘80s personality peeks out. He can be holier than thou sometimes, but I think he is trying to call the game as he sees it. Example: Zion. I think he has noted in the past that Zion is sometimes called for fouls because people just bounce off of him - and sometimes doesn’t get calls because refs figure he can withstand the contact. Bilas thought Zion got away with one when Clark went flying trying to take a charge. That was probably a charge. But it was good to see Zion get the benefit of a contact call - as it doesn’t happen enough.

I never step away from a Duke TV win or loss mad about what Jay Bilas said. So that’s a huge step up from Billy Packer or Len Elmore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Even if both Hunter (projected mid-late lottery-ish) and Jerome (projected late first, early second) leave, I still think we'll be borderline top 10 next year. Key, Huff, and Diakite have all made pretty strong strides towards being consistent performers lately. Put those dudes with Clark and Guy and we'll win a bunch of games again.

I played this game for 4-5 years:
    13-14 - We lose Harris and Mitchell? Won't be the same.
    14-15 - We lose Anderson and Atkins? Won't be the same.
    15-16 - We lose Brogdon, Gill, & Tobey? Won't be the same (and we weren't, but in fairness it took the combo of Austin Nichols being kicked off the team AND Wilkins coming down with a pretty bad illness than basically ended his season before we fell away from being top 10)
    17-18 - We lose Hall & Wilkins? Won't be the same.

Somehow, barring major player departure/loss IN SEASON, we've been top 5, or at worst, a top 10ish team since 2014. Whoever comes, whoever goes, regardless of hype or star rankings, Bennett keeps cranking out elite results....... in the regular season and conference tournament.
    I did write that they'd still be quite good and meant it because of Guy, Huff, and mostly Bennett. OTOH, and hate to go there, most seem to forget that the main reason UVA lost in tourney last year, in a most un-UVA line way, was that Hunter was out. That kid is remarkable, and will be a huge loss. And the more I see Jerome I almost feel the same way. Of course they could keep both and be a dominant #1 going into the season and likely still have Jerome and be potential top-5 again. Anyways, lots left to play this year and I hope y'all win the rest (especially this Monday!) except against us 2 more times. And agreed that this Bennett fellow is a keeper, as the constant that seems to stir that drink year after year.

Outstanding game by Duke! UVA is a tremendous dance partner. So fun to watch Duke and UVA go at it. I won’t be surprised to see a third and perhaps even a fourth Duke/UVA meeting this year.

A few thoughts:

1. How good is Tre Jones? WOW! He is incredibly special. Hoping for a Duke Blue Planet highlighting the Jones Brothers hitting big shots at John Paul Jones Arena.
    2. This Duke team is amazing at turning great defense into soul crushing points off turnovers.
    3. I am sure they don’t mind, but Coach K and his staff are not getting nearly enough credit for their work with this team. The cohesion and overall play on both ends of the floor has been remarkable for any team — let alone such a young team.
    4. RJ and Zion are transcendent players but in any other year Cam would be getting a lot more hype and credit for being a huge difference making player. I don’t watch the NBA much, but it would be fun to see these three link up again after free agency.
    5. Our role players are tough-minded and getting better.
    6. I am a big fan of the UVA Program. With or without Hunter and/or Jerome next year, they are going to be right back at the top of the ACC Standings. Kudos to Coach Bennett, his staff, and their players. They do it right.