Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    A few thoughts on disparate topics:

- Hunter/Jerome: Both are almost certainly gone, and I think you can remove the “almost” in Hunter’s case.
    - Zion: Transcendent athlete, fantastic player, likely a perennial All-Star, but not flawless. He could improve his outside shot and ballhandling, and his conditioning probably won’t hold up to 82 games and back-to-backs. He’s far from alone on that last point - probably even in the strong majority - but I did think he was winded in the second half yesterday.
    - Sampson: I get why some of you guys don’t like him, but I think even the most ardent disliker can appreciate the recent announcement that he will press the button when they (finally) take down University Hall sometime soon. That was his joint.
    A few posters may have opinions against Sampson, but I don't believe that is a consensus view here. I like him but am sorry his pro career got derailed by injuries.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

- Hunter/Jerome: Both are almost certainly gone, and I think you can remove the “almost” in Hunter’s case.
    - Zion: Transcendent athlete, fantastic player, likely a perennial All-Star, but not flawless. He could improve his outside shot and ballhandling, and his conditioning probably won’t hold up to 82 games and back-to-backs. He’s far from alone on that last point - probably even in the strong majority - but I did think he was winded in the second half yesterday.
    - Sampson: I get why some of you guys don’t like him, but I think even the most ardent disliker can appreciate the recent announcement that he will press the button when they (finally) take down University Hall sometime soon. That was his joint.
    No NBA team is going to ask Zion to play 90% of his team's minutes as he did yesterday...K likes the small rotation, Zion has done fine in it...I'm sure everyone was winded well into the second half, Bilious even opined that UVA looked fatigued to him (and he's never wrong).
    p.s. he made his signature block with four minutes left in the game, and it required him to run from essentially one sideline to another, so fatigue didn't seem to be a problem..
    Last edited by budwom; 02-10-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    A few posters may have opinions against Sampson, but I don't believe that is a consensus view here. I like him but am sorry his pro career got derailed by injuries.
    He was an astonishingly fluid big, long before that was a thing for bigs! (Of course, “bigs” are a relic these days..)

I still remember his first game at Cameron, when folks were tossing frisbees back and forth (back when crazies had both sides) and one landed atop the PA system (back when there was a single PA system - sheesh, I’m old!). “Ralph will get it <clap. clap. clap, clap, clap>”. Alas, we got it, over and over again.

-jk

Another Duke UVa Game, Another Rock Fight

First off, congratulations on a great game. Your kids played hard all game, never backed down when we made a run, and played with a lot of heart.

Some brief points:

-the chess match between Krzyzewski and Bennett continues. Bennett filled the gaps better on attempted drives to the rim (UVa actually had more points in the paint), but in his post-game he suggested he may have over-correcting causing the team to get to close-outs sufficiently well. I’m not convinced. I didn’t see any open 3s except for Williamson’t, though I’m not convinced the 3s were heavily contested. Bennett might want to correct a little more to the 3-point line if we play again, but only if Duke continues to show as a goo 3-point shooting team.

-what makes this Duke edition different from recent prior editions is intensity: the team plays hard, particularly on defense, much more like Duke editions from the 1990s.

-The differences from our first game: Duke obviously was blazing hot from the three; Jones made a difference in running the offense and playing on-ball defense; UVa’s turnovers; I think Duke has improved since that game; to a lesser extent, Huff is starting to get more reps and Diakite as playing better.

Some interesting stats:

Duke UVa
    Turnovers 15 14
    Points in the Paint 24 28
    3-point % 61.9% 41.7%
    Rebounds 26 28
    Pts of FTs 5 16
    Bench points 15 2

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    could be, but i'm choosing to hope that perhaps we can see a consistent improvement in our 3pt %...
    I checked back, in the first two games, Duke was 43% on high volume from 3. I don't remember thinking that was any kind of fantasy island stuff then. I think they're better shooters than 30-32%....I guess we'll see from here on.

bench points reversed?

Good points. Zion will have more space I the NBA. Yes, yesterday he struggled with his handle, but the UVA defense had a lot to do with that.

And that was an important rest he got at about the 10 min mark. He plays with such energy and intensity- it's impossible not to get a little tired. Then, he came back in, and Superblock.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    One stat I haven't seen mentioned directly is that Cam had zero turnovers in this game. He didn't have any of his looseness with the ball that we have seen in the past. Good going!
    There was one possession where Cam brought the ball up the far side, seemed to lose control a bit, recovered with a behind the back wild dribble, and then stopped. Previously he would have tried to keep going to the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    Wow ! Some people are never happy. The Devils beat a really, really good team that plays incredible defense and has 3 or 4 future NBA players not to mention a freshman center who looks like he will be all world before too long.
    Huff? He's s Soph.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    if only they didn't do it when i'm trying to watch the game...

The amount of game time which isn't shown on the screen is getting ridiculous...there were several plays that they were showing who-knows-what for the first 5 seconds and then "oh wow that's right a game is going on"

Really poorly directed production.
    And, please ESPN, lose the split screen. I don't need to see LeBron emoting (or not) while the game action is shrunk to the size of a 1970s TV. Ditto fro interviews with Ralph, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    True .the refs missed a few on both.they called it loose .when javin can play physical for 11 minutes whith 1 foul you know its loosely called.he tends to get called a lot.
    I think that his one foul came during warmups?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Everyone upstream has good comments concerning the game.

This team seems to have fun. The guys like each other and enjoy the moment. No game seems too big for them.

I have had a lot of fun watching this team. I have liked all of our teams in recent years but this team is a joy to watch. I enjoyed our teams the last three years but was always concerned about GA ( I loved the guy) losing it and doing something dumb.

Only 8 more regular season games before the ACC tournament. Duke does have a tough schedule ahead. Not as tough as the Cheats however. The Cheats have to play Duke twice.

On to Louisville. I'm coming out from Denver to see the game. My Duke fan son is joining me. I have a great, old friend who lives in Denver but has great connections to the Louisville program. He is giving us two tickets, he'll be the game sitting in other seats.

I'm 1 and 1 at Louisville. Saw the 2015 Duke team win. Saw the 2016 Duke team lose.

Go Duke.
    You saw the 2015 team win at LVille, so if you see the 2019 team win at LVille, that means...

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    Don't know if anyone has responded yet but I would have to agree...I was there...just ripped my heart out,,,,he was right there...another inch and we'd have 6 natties
    And Grant Hill would be the greatest Duke player of all time with 3 natties.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    It should have been a charge on Salt ( totally ignored by Bilas). It turned out for the good since those free throws were pretty comical. Salt's "hard foul" on Zion should have been a flagrant foul since he ended up tackling him from behind with both arms wrapped around Zion which no one would call a basketball play. Having said that, Salt is a real difference maker for them with his defense and ability to set picks. The 94 Foot walk with Salt and Guy was entertaining. UVA has a like-able coach and players. I will like them even more if they handle the Heels this week.
    I noticed that too and thought back to the previous game when a player committed a hard foul on Reddish (?) and actually got the ball, in addition to a lot of Cam, and they still called a flagrant on him. I mean if part of the definition is that no attempt is made on the ball, and yet the ball is actually contacted, how can that be a flagrant? Salt on the other hand didn't get any ball, and didn't really even try, he just came down hard with both arms. I'm not even trying to say that Salt's foul should have been called a flagrant, but it fit the definition of flagrant foul much better than the play from the previous game that was actually called as one.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Only 8 more regular season games before the ACC tournament. Duke does have a tough schedule ahead. Not as tough as the Cheats however. The Cheats have to play Duke twice.

On to Louisville. I'm coming out from Denver to see the game. My Duke fan son is joining me. I have a great, old friend who lives in Denver but has great connections to the Louisville program. He is giving us two tickets, he'll be the game sitting in other seats.

I'm 1 and 1 at Louisville. Saw the 2015 Duke team win. Saw the 2016 Duke team lose.

Go Duke.
    As discussed elsewhere, the UVA game was the lowest % win likelihood of all the games in this stretch for Duke, so the likelihood of winning all the rest just went up a lot!!! That being said, there are still plenty of tough games coming up, particularly on Tuesday and later at UNCheaters. I would have added @VT to that list, but withe uncertainty surrounding 2 of their best players, that might not be as difficult as previously believed.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    bench points reversed?
    Yes, they're reversed

I know we're all on board for the UVA love-fest, but I'm really not a fan. I'm so glad we swept them. They have a reputation for being a great defensive team which essentially means that they get to foul all the time. I will never forget the way Jabari Parker got manhandled in the 2014 ACC Championship without any foul calls. It constantly happens. Zion got fouled at least 4 times where Bilas went wild on how good the defense was, except the slow mo replay showed Zion getting hit on the arm repeatedly.

Bennett is a likable enough guy, he develops players really well, and they do it the right way. I still don't like UVA at all. I root against them in every game they play except UNC, and I never watch them play other games, because they aren't fun to watch. Duke UVA games are bearable because they can't pull their usual BS and hope to win. Also, Bennett's offensive system has held them back lately. They have the offensive weapons to score more points. That team with Brogdon, harris, Gill, etc should have scored way more points.

Also, I know lots of UVA fans who bring up their ACC regular season titles. Duke has won, what? 5 out of the last 6 against UVA? Until this year, their ACC schedules have been an absolute joke.

Okay, rant over. They're a great team, I still dislike them. Wahoo fans on the site, you guys are great, but some of your friends piss me off. If you hate me now, that's cool.
    Last edited by Dukehky; 02-10-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

I tried to search the net for LeBron's comments about the game, but wasn't successful. Did LeBron make any comments after the game?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I noticed that too and thought back to the previous game when a player committed a hard foul on Reddish (?) and actually got the ball, in addition to a lot of Cam, and they still called a flagrant on him. I mean if part of the definition is that no attempt is made on the ball, and yet the ball is actually contacted, how can that be a flagrant? Salt on the other hand didn't get any ball, and didn't really even try, he just came down hard with both arms. I'm not even trying to say that Salt's foul should have been called a flagrant, but it fit the definition of flagrant foul much better than the play from the previous game that was actually called as one.
    I agree totally that it fit the description of a flagrant foul and wasn't called. Salt cam down on Zion from behind him with no attempt to get the ball and it was a hard foul.
    Last edited by -jk; 02-10-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    So let me get this straight Seth: Duke doesn't "have the sword" (3 point shooting) so they won't win the natty. Then when they pick up the sword (versus UVA) it's live by the sword die by the sword? What a maroon...how can you be that self unaware? (And J Will, boldly picking Duke on Friday on PTI and then changing horses for Game Day. ESPN really does count on a certain stupid factor in at least some of their audience.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Greenberg before the game: Duke can't win the national championship shooting 3s the % they do.
    Greenberg at halftime last night: Live by the sword, die by the sword.

His hypocrisy is off the charts. He gets paid a lot of money to talk college hoops. All he has to do is put on a suit, sit in makeup and say ignorant things on camera. I wish he'd go away.
    Seth sucked as a coach, and sucks as an analyst—no big surprise there. Of course, the viewer has the power—just don't watch him...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Seth sucked as a coach, and sucks as an analyst—no big surprise there. Of course, the viewer has the power—just don't watch him...
    ehhh i think this is a bit harsh...he's often more insightful than some of the people ESPN trots out there BECASUE of his experience coaching. You don't have to be a particularly successful coach to have more insight than your average DBR poster. That said, he often, like every other ESPN ignoramus, falls pre to parroting meaningless cliches.
    1200. DDMF.

ehhh i think this is a bit harsh...he's often more insightful than some of the people ESPN trots out there BECASUE of his experience coaching. You don't have to be a particularly successful coach to have more insight than your average DBR poster. That said, he often, like every other ESPN ignoramus, falls pre to parroting meaningless cliches.
    Re: Seth. As a "hot" personality, he is better on radio than TV, and I have heard him do some excellent segments on ESPN radio.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Hmmm he had 5 TOs last night but do power forwards with a better handle than Zion exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Second, not to derail the thread (which, I guess, is the equivalent of saying to someone 'don't take this the wrong way' before criticism is leveled)..but has anyone been seeing the 'antics' of Wisconsin's Buzzcut Brad Davidson?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WisconsinBa...going_too_far/

https://saturdaytradition.com/wiscon...is-shady-move/

Interpret it as you will, but it aint leading SportsCenter.
    Interesting that Wiscy fans are now advocates of the "we shouldn't be dissecting slow-mo footage," when I imagine many of them were jumping on the tar-and-feather bandwagon during the hyper-analysis of slo-mo on Grayson's relatively recent tripping adventures. That said, I agree (both then and now) that it's difficult to parse slo-mo in situations like this. My quick take is the kid would have to be a moron to attempt an intentional trip in that situation, as his leg is in such a precarious position that leaves it susceptible to a pretty horrendous injury if the opposing rebounder happened to have come down on the leg. The WVU bench trip was bush league, and the kid deserved to be ejected...

That's the beauty of America—you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. We'll just have to agree to disagree here. I think Seth sucks as an analyst, in large part because he's unable to even attempt to provide an objective, unbiased analysis (we don't need to get all philosophical about whether objectivity is even possible—in my opinion, it isn't; but a journalist or analyst can at least strive for it, and he never really does). You disagree, and that's fine. Enjoy watching him.

I was fortunate to step on Duke's campus in the Fall of 1979. That was the same year Ralph arrived at UVA. I got to see some amazing basketball during my 4 years. In many ways, it was a classic time for ACC basketball. Two ACC schools won national championships during my time and both were in the triangle. What great parties they were!

Unfortunately, Duke wasn't one of them.

My Freshman year, we were ranked #1 in the country and stacked with talent including G-man and Banks. We made it to the Elite eight, and were leading Perdue at the half, but ended up losing the game. My plans for a final four trip to Indianapolis were dashed!

Perdue again dashed my hopes for a post season trip when they beat Duke in the final eight of the NIT. No trip to NY. The next 2 years were the exciting years that included seeing Ks first amazing recruiting class step on campus.The record wasn't good, but we could see the promise.

All that being said, all the ups and downs of those years (The highest being Gene Banks shot at the buzzer to take Carolina into overtime) had one constant:

Ralph Sampson kicked our butts every time we played them! I watched as he took grizzled veteran Mike Gminski to school. I watched as Sampson's amazing athleticism beat us game after game after game, culminating in a 43 point loss in the ACC Tournament game!

How is it that a UVA fan can't like or appreciate what he did for the program? No matter that he never took them to the final 4. (I know..they made it the year after he left, but I don't buy into addition by subtraction on this one) Those were some great teams!

For me, he was a great player who put UVA basketball on the map. Full stop.