Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 81, Virginia 71 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Great win. And that block.

Wire to wire win!

Good game guys. You guys are just better. Fortunately we don't have to play again. If we do, it'll at least be late in either tourney and I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    Good game guys. You guys are just better. Fortunately we don't have to play again. If we do, it'll at least be late in either tourney and I can live with that.
    Now please beat the crap out of the cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Now please beat the crap out of the cheats.
    I would be pretty surprised if we win Monday night. That's a really tough turnaround after a really physical game.

Maybe

I would be pretty surprised if we win Monday night. That's a really tough turnaround after a really physical game.
    Well, UNC had an overtime game themselves, so that helps.

I would rather be in your shoes. Having 24 hours to prepare for your defense after an OT game isn't optimal.

OK I am going to keep talking about the road 3P% until Duke goes cold, which may happen on Tuesday against Louisville.

Virginia: If you want to win you're going to have to beat us with the 3.
    Duke: Well, okay.

Quick-ish question for any basketball rule nerds out there. There was a sequence in the second half where Zion Williamson lost control of the ball/was try to control the ball and was on the ground with the ball bouncing around and going off his foot, followed by a Virginia player tapping it as it went out of bounds. It looked like the ref however "whistled the play dead" from the point of the "kick" at least he was making kicking motions, and awarded the ball to Virginia. Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Virginia: If you want to win you're going to have to beat us with the 3.
    Duke: Well, okay.

Quick-ish question for any basketball rule nerds out there. There was a sequence in the second half where Zion Williamson lost control of the ball/was try to control the ball and was on the ground with the ball bouncing around and going off his foot, followed by a Virginia player tapping it as it went out of bounds. It looked like the ref however "whistled the play dead" from the point of the "kick" at least he was making kicking motions, and awarded the ball to Virginia. Huh?
    It think it was called a kicked ball by Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    It think it was called a kicked ball by Zion.
    Section 6. Kick, Fist, Through Basket from Below
    Art. 1. It is a violation when a player intentionally kicks the ball, strikes it with
    the fist or causes it to pass through the basket and enter the cylinder from below.
    (See Rule 9-15.2.b)
    Art. 2. Kicking the ball is striking it intentionally with any part of the leg
    or the foot. Accidentally striking the ball with the foot or leg shall not be a
    violation.

I'm sick & tired of these slow starts, guys jacking up 3s and being lousy at the free throw line

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I'm sick & tired of these slow starts, guys jacking up 3s and being lousy at the free throw line
    I'm lost on this post. Slow start and jacking up 3s. Tonight? We led 8-0, never trailed. Unless ur posting from UVA perspective.
    At the half Duke hadn't missed a FT and maybe only 2 3's. Must be a UVA post. Duke played some awesome D this evening.
    Just saw the smiley face, so my bad!! And I agree with Bennett for governor!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I'm lost on this post. Slow start and jacking up 3s. Tonight? We led 8-0, never trailed. Unless ur posting from UVA perspective.
    At the half Duke hadn't missed a FT and maybe only 2 3's. Must be a UVA post. Duke played some awesome D this evening.
    Just saw the smiley face, so my bad!! And I agree with Bennett for governor!!
    I think Neals was joking. See the There have been many posts saying Duke can't win by having slow starts, and jacking up 3s. Well we hit the 3s and got off to a fantastic start. GoDuke!

Despite winning by 10 points and shooting 62% from 3, I thought we played a mediocre game overall. We were uncharacteristically careless with the ball and on the defensive boards. We had less possessions than UVA and that's never good, not even in a win.

/DAD RANT OVER

GG. That was well fought win.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Despite winning by 10 points and shooting 62% from 3, I thought we played a mediocre game overall. We were uncharacteristically careless with the ball and on the defensive boards. We had less possessions than UVA and that's never good, not even in a win.

/DAD RANT OVER

While I agree with your thesis, and thought that good shooting (though stemming from really good selection mostly) covered up a lot of things, almost axiomatically you have the same number of actual possessions as the other team. except for the switch at halftime, you get a chance with the ball, then the other team gets a chance with the ball.

In terms of statistical possesions:

duke and uva each had almost exactly 63

Duke:
    45 + .475 * 23 + 15 -8 = 62.9

uva:
    60 + .475 * 7 - 14 + 14 = 63.3

The only discrepencies come from if a team gets two possessions in a row around half time, or starts and ends the game with the ball, or ends up with a really odd number of FTs (missing a ton of 1+1s, or &1s, or fouls on 3 point shots, which didn't happen tonight)
    1200. DDMF.

/DAD RANT OVER

The Hoos had a lot to do with the turnovers. Tough sledding in the lane tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    The Hoos had a lot to do with the turnovers. Tough sledding in the lane tonight.
    Yeah, Virginia made the choice to clog the lane rather than contest the 3's. A reasonable choice, but it ended up not working overall.

/DAD RANT OVER

That sounds like trolling, but maybe you just don't make adjustments to expectations depending on how good the opponent is or how well they might be playing. Since you have often sounded rational in other discussions, I'm going with the troll.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!