Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I'm sick & tired of these slow starts, guys jacking up 3s and being lousy at the free throw line

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Section 6. Kick, Fist, Through Basket from Below
    Art. 1. It is a violation when a player intentionally kicks the ball, strikes it with
    the fist or causes it to pass through the basket and enter the cylinder from below.
    (See Rule 9-15.2.b)
    Art. 2. Kicking the ball is striking it intentionally with any part of the leg
    or the foot. Accidentally striking the ball with the foot or leg shall not be a
    violation.
    Yeah, the ref was clearly indicating that he thought Zion intentionally kicked the ball -- whether that was the correct call, I don't know, as I haven't gone back to rewatch it or anything. Generally a tough call for the officials as one of the few calls that incorporates intentional versus incidental contact.

I for 1 was especially nervous at the beginning of the game. I seen TV TEDDY Valentine was officiating! But to his credit, I thought the ref crew did an excellent job.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Wow. That was some game. A wire-to-wire dominant win at UVA?! Hooooweeee. I'll take it. The game never really felt in doubt after the first few minutes. UVA kept putting a charge in and we just kept answering. I just felt so confident in this team all night long.

Nice to see them hitting threes mostly in rhythm and controlled. Maybe we're reverting to the mean? Maybe?!

We are just so tough on so many fronts. That Zion block felt like a game sealer. An open three for UVA there puts a bunch of game pressure on Duke. That block seemed to keep things loose. That just felt like a block no one else in college could possibly make. Even my fiance, whose a pretty casual onlooker, was like "Oh my God!"

- Chillin
    Think of the fans on the sideline. OH MY GOD DON’T KILL ME.

Btw - how can Virginia and Maryland be right next to each other, but the fan bases seem like polar opposites. Really appreciate the Hoo fans who post on DBR. But the fans in the stadium seemed pretty cool too. This Duke team is pretty hard to complain about though. They play hard and clean and don’t complain or talk much smack. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy1998 View Post
    Yeah, the ref was clearly indicating that he thought Zion intentionally kicked the ball -- whether that was the correct call, I don't know, as I haven't gone back to rewatch it or anything. Generally a tough call for the officials as one of the few calls that incorporates intentional versus incidental contact.
    I watched the replay and definitely did not look like an intentional kick by Zion. Bad call. However, the ball actually ended up going off Zion's hand last anyway so its a wash
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Can someone explain (to me, at least) the "in the cylinder" call against Bolden, when he was guarding the UVa player. Bilas said something to the effect that Bolden was "too close". I thought that was the idea of "good defense"... Maybe I missed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    We were fairly far behind before the game.
    it' wasn't that far. it's hovered around 1 point since our last slate of games.

The exact numbers were 36.07 to 34.80

Which is now 36.24 to 24.92
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Think of the fans on the sideline. OH MY GOD DON’T KILL ME.

Btw - how can Virginia and Maryland be right next to each other, but the fan bases seem like polar opposites. Really appreciate the Hoo fans who post on DBR. But the fans in the stadium seemed pretty cool too. This Duke team is pretty hard to complain about though. They play hard and clean and don’t complain or talk much smack. Good times.
    Speaking of the fans at the game, apparently ESPN wouldn't let this wonderful sign in for College Game Day:

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Can someone explain (to me, at least) the "in the cylinder" call against Bolden, when he was guarding the UVa player. Bilas said something to the effect that Bolden was "too close". I thought that was the idea of "good defense"...
    Recent rule addition. You can’t overly crowd someone standing with the ball.

Afraid I don’t have my rule book handy, but it’s a valid call.

(Though the refs were certainly letting ‘em play tonight, so it was a weird one to call.)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Can someone explain (to me, at least) the "in the cylinder" call against Bolden, when he was guarding the UVa player. Bilas said something to the effect that Bolden was "too close". I thought that was the idea of "good defense"... Maybe I missed everything.
    You can’t invade a player’s vertical space. Bolden was leaning onto a Salt such that Bolden’s torso was above Salt’s feet. Make contact in that position and it is a foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy1998 View Post
    Speaking of the fans at the game, apparently ESPN wouldn't let this wonderful sign in for College Game Day
    The way their governorship is going right now, I'd vote for Bennett too.

Our defense is better than theirs. Period. All they did was praise UVA's defense, but Cam Reddish was the best defensive player on the court tonight.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Cam Reddish

Played great basketball on both ends of the court tonight. Poised and confident on offense, aware and aggressive on defense.

Our defense was fantastic tonight. For all the talk about our great 3 pt shooting, the degree of difficulty of the made shots by the wahoos was very high. They had to hit a lot of tough shots to keep this close.

Jerome is very fortunate for the rough handling he got away with against RJ. There was definitely some home cooking that helped him out there.

And I know this horse has been beaten to death ad nauseam...but Mr Bilas continues his streak of finding some calls that “should have gone against Duke” and never ones on the opponent for us.
    Last edited by CoachJ10; 02-09-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    Windy City Devil

-RJ set the tone tonight. Dude is never afraid of the moment.

-Glad someone pointed out that Virginia shot it pretty well, too, and were pulling some heavily contested 2s and 3s out their backsides to keep it feeling close.

-Duke D was tough. There were many times we got strips when they had what looked like easy buckets and we stole a bunch of inside passes down the stretch.

-I thought Duke got most of the breaks in terms of whistles and losing Diakite was a big deal.

-I agree about Huff vs Salt, the kid is a more modern player, maybe his D is that much worse?

-Cam Fam set the 2nd half tone, he is really coming into his own and starting to flex.

-Stones came on big in 2H. Bolden continued his really good play and Jack looked good too. Even Jav showed some fire in the mini Jerome dust up. As someone said, everyone played well.

-Z’s block was ridiculous.

-Guy was really good on O, a very very gifted scorer.

-Speaking of flex, during the presser, someone asked K if he knew Lebron was coming and he said something like, “Yeah, we were texting earlier.”

-UVA is as good as it gets along with a few others, to have 2 wins over them is big time.

-The way this Duke team defends, after nearly a decade of futility, is awesome. Let’s head to Kentucky and beat some ***

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Played great basketball on both ends of the court tonight. Poised and confident on offense, aware and aggressive on defense.

Our defense was fantastic tonight. For all the talk about our great 3 pt shooting, the degre of difficulty of the made shots by the wahoos was very high. They had to hit a lot of tough shots to keep this close.

Jerome is very fortunate for the rough handling he got away with against RJ. There was definitely some home cooking that helped him out there.

And I know this horse has been beaten to death ad nauseam...but Mr Bilas continues his streak of finding some calls that “should have gone against Duke” and never ones on the opponent for us.
    Some things never change. However he seems to be a little less harsh on Duke this season. I think he really likes this team, especially Zion. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I'm sick & tired of these slow starts, guys jacking up 3s and being lousy at the free throw line
    I'm lost on this post. Slow start and jacking up 3s. Tonight? We led 8-0, never trailed. Unless ur posting from UVA perspective.
    At the half Duke hadn't missed a FT and maybe only 2 3's. Must be a UVA post. Duke played some awesome D this evening.
    Just saw the smiley face, so my bad!! And I agree with Bennett for governor!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post

Our defense was fantastic tonight. For all the talk about our great 3 pt shooting, the degre of difficulty of the made shots by the wahoos was very high. They had to hit a lot of tough shots to keep this close.

It really wasn't though. Especially in the segment around halftime.

raw: 71/63 = 112.6
    adjusted: 95.1

It wasn't awful, but it certainly wasn't great.

The first half was particularly not great: 35/30 = 116, or ~99 adjusted.

They really abused our switch everything mentality at times, catching bolden with some poor switches, and catching Tre in the post, and passing over the defense two possessions in a row.

If we had played fantastic defense, this game is a blowout with how spectacularly the offense was. We didn't Bennett is a fantastic coach and went to work on the fact that we always come out switching everything.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I'm lost on this post. Slow start and jacking up 3s. Tonight? We led 8-0, never trailed. Unless ur posting from UVA perspective.
    At the half Duke hadn't missed a FT and maybe only 2 3's. Must be a UVA post. Duke played some awesome D this evening.
    I think Neals was joking. See the There have been many posts saying Duke can't win by having slow starts, and jacking up 3s. Well we hit the 3s and got off to a fantastic start. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I think your sarcasm detector is realllllyyy broken
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    The way their governorship is going right now, I'd vote for Bennett too.
    At the rate it's going, he might end up with the job through the line of succession.