Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    The accuser claims Fairfax targeted her because she didn’t do anything about it after another student (presumably Maggette) also raped her. But she claims she in fact took it to a dean which seems appropriate but the dean advised her against pressing forward with a claim. If so, the dean, albeit somewhat unwittingly, enabled the subsequent second assault. As such, I think she should identify this dean publicly given implications of her claim not only speak to legal or policy violations on that dean’s part but also one of the many reasons those laws exist in the first place. Of course, she shouldn’t feel obligated to do anything given the trauma she may well have endured but connecting the dots, she’s only named two of three people that victimized her.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeinDC View Post
    The accuser claims Fairfax targeted her because she didn’t do anything about it after another student (presumably Maggette) also raped her. But she claims she in fact took it to a dean which seems appropriate but the dean advised her against pressing forward with a claim. If so, the dean, albeit somewhat unwittingly, enabled the subsequent second assault. As such, I think she should identify this dean publicly given implications of her claim not only speak to legal or policy violations on that dean’s part but also one of the many reasons those laws exist in the first place. Of course, she shouldn’t feel obligated to do anything given the trauma she may well have endured but connecting the dots, she’s only named two of three people that victimized her.
    We don’t know what happened.
    We don’t know what she told the dean.
    We don’t know what the dean told her.
    We do know the episode occurred 20 years ago, and the country is still clarifying on-campus standards for investigation of sexual assaults.
    Blame is premature.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Can we tone down the title of this thread?
    Well, I guess not.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Well, I guess not.
    Well, to be fair, it’s not in all-caps.

I agree that there's really not much to discuss here within the parameters of what is acceptable on the forum and this thread in particular.

As someone who watched that season with great interest (one of the only years that rival this one from a talent and excitement perspective) I remember thinking through the season that Magette was likely playing himself into the draft. But I don't see any remote relevance to the topic at hand.

I do agree that K has to date earned the benefit of the doubt; if he says last week is the first he heard of it, until it is proven otherwise, I will believe him.

From there, the question I have is "should he have learned about the allegation." In other words, was the administration somehow protecting him in a "need to know" sort of way. This would be incredibly difficult to prove, barring some sort of paper trail that explicitly spells out something like "let's bury this, don't tell K."

If, instead, it's some degree of bureaucratic nonsense that did not make its way through the chain of command, that's certainly still disturbing, but not as upsetting to me as a basketball fan.

I would hope this sort of thing wouldn't happen at Duke (or anywhere), but if anything remotely untoward happened in the aftermath, I sincerely hope there have been lessons learned and protocols established.

Can we tone down the title of this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yeah it is a bit ironic that perhaps the most incendiary thing on this thread
    (that's still here at least) is the title. Certainly it's factual but comes across very strongly for those coming to the site.
    Well, I guess not.
    For what its worth, I thought the same thing when the thread first started. Put me in the "tone down the thread title" camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I agree that there's really not much to discuss here within the parameters of what is acceptable on the forum and this thread in particular.

As someone who watched that season with great interest (one of the only years that rival this one from a talent and excitement perspective) I remember thinking through the season that Magette was likely playing himself into the draft. But I don't see any remote relevance to the topic at hand.

I do agree that K has to date earned the benefit of the doubt; if he says last week is the first he heard of it, until it is proven otherwise, I will believe him.

From there, the question I have is "should he have learned about the allegation." In other words, was the administration somehow protecting him in a "need to know" sort of way. This would be incredibly difficult to prove, barring some sort of paper trail that explicitly spells out something like "let's bury this, don't tell K."

If, instead, it's some degree of bureaucratic nonsense that did not make its way through the chain of command, that's certainly still disturbing, but not as upsetting to me as a basketball fan.

I would hope this sort of thing wouldn't happen at Duke (or anywhere), but if anything remotely untoward happened in the aftermath, I sincerely hope there have been lessons learned and protocols established.
    I could imagine there would be a policy of privacy for both parties with things like these. I would think it is more likely that the Dean would be obligated not to tell K than that they would be obligated to tell him, assuming the Dean otherwise followed appropriate procedures.

Separately, I've been fairly pleased with the handling of this by the sports media. Apparently David Glenn talked about it a lot on his show which I missed, but I didn't hear anything about it while I was listening to Adam and Joe (local sports radio), and I don't recall it being brought up during the broadcast. I thought they were using it in the lead as they started an "up until now, Duke hadn't done anything to be hated..." build up but they bait and switched me and it was about the "wear black because its their funeral" comment.

"Maggette allegations" would seem to suffice. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, I think the implication was that an allegation helped push Maggette out the door.

But I disagree with that, and additionally, I agree with others that for those that closely followed the program, it wasn't too surprising that Maggette (or Avery) would leave despite Duke having never experienced NBA early-entry up until that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Well, I think the implication was that an allegation helped push Maggette out the door.

But I disagree with that, and additionally, I agree with others that for those that closely followed the program, it wasn't too surprising that Maggette (or Avery) would leave despite Duke having never experienced NBA early-entry up until that point.
    yeah, stuff was going on like Sam Smith (?) saying Maggette could go first in the draft, right? Completely unsurprising he left. Avery on the other hand...(suggests to me OAD fever is contagious).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, stuff was going on like Sam Smith (?) saying Maggette could go first in the draft, right? Completely unsurprising he left. Avery on the other hand...(suggests to me OAD fever is contagious).
    I really don't remember anyone being surprised Maggette left...I think people were hoping he would stay mostly because a freshman had never left Duke for the pros before, but knew he could be the first. The surprise (and mistake) was Avery.

When I was 11 years old or so I got to meet/get autographs from Brand, Maggette, and Avery at Damon's after a game...took me forever to actually go up to them because I wasn't totally convinced that it was really them. I was convinced when Shane (who is unmistakable) walked in a little later. Still have that hat somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    My understanding regarding Avery was that the classwork was a struggle for him, and perhaps he saw the academic writing on the wall as far as continued eligibility. (That came from folks around here who knew Will, and not from Duke sources, so take it for what it is worth).

In regard to other posts -- speculation about Maggette's decision to turn pro, and its relation or lack of relation to this allegation, is exactly why this thread really serves no purpose beyond conjecture.

Someone up thread asked about email retention. I do not know OIT's policies, but I can compare them to my company. I work for a large financial institution, and our email retention is normally only 6 months. In some circumstances you can keep email for as long as 12-18 months, but the general direction is not to use email for archiving important information. Secondly, the more email you retain, the larger the email inboxes that are opened into RAM, which causes the system to become progressively unstable and can bring it down (especially Outlook). Lastly, maintaining lots of old emails is a fisherman's dream for legal litigation, and so they impose moderate limits on how long you can keep email unless you are subject to a legal hold.

That being said, storage is dirt cheap and it wouldn't be terribly cost prohibitive to maintain email archives for longer periods, especially for a small community of around 10-15K people. But I can't come up with a business need to maintain STUDENT archives for that long. Professors maybe (they tend to call the shots with their technology needs to a greater degree than in the private sector). So I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the faculty had long email archive histories, but the chances of finding any relevant communication on this subject is highly unlikely IMHO.

As for Duke and email, I started in the fall of '94 and was issued an email address upon arrival. Most of my classmates were using email (PINE) by the end of our first year. About half of the dorms were wired for internet at that time, but by '96 it was pretty much 100% coverage, including Central. In fact, that was a huge selling point for staying on campus (free high speed internet). I also recall that my @acpub.duke.edu email remained active for a couple of years after I graduated. I imagine Duke has tightened up their info security policies quite a bit since those days.
    "There can BE only one."

Thread title changed.

I have been focused on other, more interesting, Duke news so I only got to this now.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    My understanding regarding Avery was that the classwork was a struggle for him, and perhaps he saw the academic writing on the wall as far as continued eligibility. (That came from folks around here who knew Will, and not from Duke sources, so take it for what it is worth).

In regard to other posts -- speculation about Maggette's decision to turn pro, and its relation or lack of relation to this allegation, is exactly why this thread really serves no purpose beyond conjecture.
    Elton Brand was the leader of "los tres amigos." Once he decided to leave, as the prospective number one pick in the draft, it did seem to have an influence on Avery and Maggette, although each had his own reasons.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

It will probably be a while before any new developments will be in the news about this. Not sure why this thread should remain open until that happens. Just seems like a chance for posters to get in hot water. None of us know anything new, and what little bit of info that has been released has been hashed and rehashed.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Thread title changed.

I have been focused on other, more interesting, Duke news so I only got to this now.
    Understood, and thank you.

Have there been any updates on this matter? The only post-Feb/March story I can find is one where Maggette is embedded in a story principally about Justin Fairfax.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

We'll probably find out what happened right after we find out what Jail-ek Felon did to get kicked off the UNC team. That is to say, never.